Sedona AZ trails - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sedona AZ trails

Heading out to Sedona next Friday and renting a jeep. I am wondering what trails I should hit. I am thinking about Broken Arrow and Cliffhanger, and other suggestions. It will be a mostly stock Rubicon, so that will limit my trail selection.

I live in the mid west currently and have never wheeled in the southwest so looking for some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You may want to wait and here from someone that stays close to there, thay have been getting a bunch of rain down there.

they close the trails if they start to get coverd in water.

sodiers pass is short but fun, and has some cool land scape to look at

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.

Last edited by Blackout; 08-22-2014 at 10:31 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

If you're renting from Barlows, they can provide you with trail maps. Blackout is correct, they close the trails to prevent rutting and cast off which kills vegetation. If you're renting from someone else, still stop by Barlows and get some maps.

http://barlows.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Gib
Rock God

I've rented from Farabees before. Give them a call and they will tell you what the current situation is out there.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

I'll pay $10 bucks for a high quality picture of the hot tubs. I missed taking pics of our trip. I'd go back in a hear beat!

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Would recommend Broken Arrow for a stock Rubicon.

Its like rush hour with all the "Pink Jeeps" driving by on the weekends though. if possible, go in non commuter hours. IE not on the weekend.

They drive the hell out of that trail, to the point, there are ruts in the solid rock slabs.

They are trying to pass legislation to close down the trails for their commercial usage only. So get out there while the public lands are still open to the public.

Last edited by Descent; 08-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Rent from Barlow's, best in the area. Jeeps are mildly built and in tip top shape. The staff knows the trails intimately and can provide maps, trail descriptions, etc. Two best IMHO are Broken Arrow & Smiley Rock.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Rent from Barlow's, best in the area. Jeeps are mildly built and in tip top shape. The staff knows the trails intimately and can provide maps, trail descriptions, etc. Two best IMHO are Broken Arrow & Smiley Rock.
+1
Broken Arrow - beautiful. Not the most challenging trail, but very well worth it for the views.

Smiley Rock is for the most part a forest trail loop with nice views, but not very challenging - there is about 2-3 miles of nice crawling in a canyon so you are in the shade of the trees, may be some water running through the wash, and nice elevation so it's cooler. It's not in Sedona, but rather near Jerome which is is relatively short drive if you want to explore outside of Sedona.

If you are into hiking - even mildly, there are numerous trails with incredible beauty - Bell Rock is a popular and very easy hike.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

What's "best" kinda depends on what you're looking for. The other other end of town from the trails that have already been suggested is more open and will give you better panoramic views.

Here is Barlow's map for you. Don't know if you've already contracted for the rental, but you really can't go wrong with Barlow. Great folks, and really long-time serious contributors to the offroad community. They also guide in Moab and on the Rubicon.

And just to keep things bizarre, the picture below is of a guy we met up with on Diamondback Gulch. He was already past the point of his skills to recover when we found him (coming toward us), and was just about to pass the point of no return, as in call the helicopter.

Along with a pink Jeep driver, we managed to convince him he WAS NOT going to like what he was about to drive off of in about 100' and got him turned around. As it was, there was still a hill in front of us he couldn't make it up. I had to drive his Mini to the top of that hill for him and then he made it the rest of the way out.

Turns out it was a rental, lol. I'd hate to see the credit card bill for the month after he got back to Vegas. Turns out he was from Germany and the woman with him was from Austria. It was funny, with wide eyes he kept saying, "Ve have come a vay I tink ve cannot go back."

After I convinced him he couldn't go any farther forward, the woman was very careful to point out that he was the German; she was Austrian. It was like the only thing she could think of to put distance between her and the guy who had just scared the crap out of her, lol.

Then when he got out and I was in the car with her, she said, "Ve just kept goink und goink, und it just kept gettink vorse and vorse, but ve tought it must get better. I tried to get him to go back but then ve could not go back." It was a riot.

We were actually late getting the Jeep back to Barlow's because I wasn't about to leave the guy out there by himself. The folks at Barlow's didn't care, they just wanted to hear the story! That was back at the end of March. I bet if you mention a Mini Cooper on Diamondback Gulch they'll know what you're talking about.

Oh, and if you go out on Outlaw Trail, go to the Honanki Ruins. Pretty cool cliff dwellings out there for a very short hike.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #10 of 19 Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Nena Barlow is very active in the offroad community here and in California, she sponsors events and supplies raffle items. She also feeds a lot of input into the offroad aftermarket since she does outfit her Jeeps to wheel. I would recommend Barlows because they have supported us and continue to support us including land use involvement.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Take a look at Devil's Bridge.

You can wheel out to the trail head and its a hike/climb from there, but well worth it.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Barlows was Farabees at one point Rick Farabee retired and she bought the place. Broken a Arrow and for lunch the Cowboy club y
Yum! Nena sent us out to a power line trail on the west end of town it was scenic and a rubicon will have no issues just ask for directions they have lots of maps.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 19 Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Rock God

I took my wife's brand new 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with the OR2 package to Sedona. We did Soldiers Pass, Broken Arrow (except the stairs) and the loop at the top of Schnebly Hill road. Had to watch not to scratch it but had no issues. Got directions at Barlows.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am renting from Barlow, and am planning on hitting Broken Arrow. I own and wheel a 4 dr Rubicon, so I hope to do something a bit more challenging than just a scenic drive, but that would be fun also.

I am going on Friday, so I hope I beat some of the holiday weekend rush. I have all day with the jeep so not is a hurry, but don't like waiting in line.

Weather looks good, so hope the trails stay open.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Gib
Rock God

Broken Arrow is likely to be pretty busy on Friday, if you want something a bit more challenging try Cliffhanger. It had some pretty good ledges if I recall correctly.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Had a great time out on the trails on Friday.

Guys are Barlow were super friendly and helpful.

I was able to run Broken Arrow, Cliff Hanger, Soldiers pass. All the trails were fun, and have amazing views, and the basically stock jeep had no problems.

Next time I go out there I would be interested in a few more challenging trails, and maybe something that isn't right in town.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Hopefully next time I won't be working and we can get some locals to come out and play...

Quote:
post #18 of 19 Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

What is the harder trails there?

Chad
post #19 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Granite Guru

I did go out on some of the trails...

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode