What A Nearly Stock JKU Rubicon Can Do At Moab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What A Nearly Stock JKU Rubicon Can Do At Moab

While not completely stock, this JKU goes everywhere the built Jeeps go.

Gets a little dicey at 10:10

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-j...yer_detailpage

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqid...yer_detailpage

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Granite Guru

not to burst your bubble but thats a cj on leaf springs....not that much flex and that yj looks like hes on a dirt road compared to what it can do. stock JKURs are nice and can go far, but just because you picked easy trails doesn't mean they can follow "built" rigs as you say. regardless cool videos.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Granite Guru

Great use of your Jeep and good job! It's more fun than going to the mall for a pair of shoes
post #5 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just to be clear, this is not me or my Jeep in the video. I wish it was me as I've yet to run my Jeep out West. Hopefully next Fall. I ran across this while watching a different video of a Jeep rolling that was posted on this site.

I thought this video was interesting from the standpoint of just what a minimally modded Rubicon can do. Granted these are not the most difficult trails, and as another member pointed out the other Jeeps are not purpose built rock crawlers by a long shot, but the fact you can pretty much take a Jeep JKU off the showroom floor and go places like this is pretty impressive. Of course it helps to have a good spotter and driver too. The longer JKU wheelbase works against the driver a couple of times, but surprisingly works in her favor at least once.

I confess I've bought into the "I need a 4" long arm lift, 37" tires and aftermarket parts coming out my butt before I can have fun offroad" mentality. Just glad I saw this before I dropped any more money on stuff that looks good but just weighs my Jeep down and doesn't really make her significantly more capable for the kind of use I have planned. Most importantly I can use the money I save to actually make those trips out West. It's an easy trap to fall into given the amount of money spent to convince us otherwise. Not bashing anyone that wants a purpose built Jeep to play in rock gardens and such, just amazed at the amount of money I've planned on spending on mostly unnecessary stuff.

Last edited by soonerfan85; 08-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Being on the east coast makes me really envy the tire squeeling on climbs... as we will NEVER hear that out here.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
I confess I've bought into the "I need a 4" long arm lift, 37" tires and aftermarket parts coming out my butt before I can have fun offroad" mentality. Just glad I saw this before I dropped any more money on stuff that looks good but just weighs my Jeep down and doesn't really make her significantly more capable for the kind of use I have planned. Most importantly I can use the money I save to actually make those trips out West. It's an easy trap to fall into given the amount of money spent to convince us otherwise. Not bashing anyone that wants a purpose built Jeep to play in rock gardens and such, just amazed at the amount of money I've planned on spending on mostly unnecessary stuff.
very good point. i wheeled my jkur stock(added skids sliders and bumpers right away though) for about a year, not my first wheeler but I think that is the way to go. you learn a lot about your vehicle but also about picking lines, what to do when you get stuck, how to not get stuck, etc. I've wheeled with tons of people that either built theirs immediately or bought it built up and a lot of them can't drive and have no idea what they're doing. usually those are the idiots with too much throttle and are breaking parts left and right on trails that really aren't that hard. that's not specific to jeeps either.

people that think they "need" lockers and 37s to wheel most likely suck at driving (not picking on you at all, that is very common). besides my driveshafts and tie rod nothing on my suspension is stock, but i would definitely not saying anything I have bought is needed....it just lets me go over harder lines and worry less about breakage.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
While not completely stock, this JKU goes everywhere the built Jeeps go.
Yah, but the YJ and CJ do it with so much more class. Watching the family station wagon JK do it is a great big yawn.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #9 of 16 Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
Yah, but the YJ and CJ do it with so much more class. Watching the family station wagon JK do it is a great big yawn.
I see it being sort of like when I was going through the motard phase years ago. Running fast laps on 450cc + bikes is fun and all, but running similar lap times on smaller 250cc bikes separate the few truly fast riders from those who just ride fast bikes. Sadly I was neither.

The bigger the challenge the greater sense of accomplishment when you succeed. Anyone can build a bike or Jeep to overcome the challenge at hand, but those who can accomplish the same thing with less are the ones I admire.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

what tires are on that blue jeep?
post #11 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax4499 View Post
maybe ProComp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #12 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Rock God

I believe that is a rental Jeep (the JKU).

Last edited by BigTB; 08-24-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax4499 View Post
Maxxis Trepador
post #14 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 AM
It never ends...

Stock rubi jk or JKU on 33-35's can do most any trail in Moab area. (BFE has some very extreme trails that even well built rigs can't do easily). It just takes good driving and spotting--picking appropriate lines. Useful to have a winch though, just in case. Moab trails are a lot of fun because they offer good challenge for mostly low risk to damage.

Good you are not buying into "it must be built to have fun". Same advice I tell everyone: don't build a rig until you know what you want. Learn what you want by driving what you have. Become a skilled driver first. Get out and wheel with other people to see what works, what doesn't and why.

Way too many people (me included) built ahead of their ability to drive well. Its a waste of money. I was lucky that I had extra JKUR's to drive while pre-Rex was broken. I didn't have to cancel trips. It was with the Stocker set-ups that I improved my driving skill, having had the chance to go to Moab many times. Over time I learned I can do most all the trails in a stock type jkur

Then I had to find harder trails for my "built" rig.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #15 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM
It never ends...

Another thought.

I don't mind wheeling with groups of "non-built" rigs at all. It's fun to watch people accomplish hard obstacles.

I don't care to wheel with rigs of the big tire big lift mall crawler type where the "infrastructure" of the rig isn't built to match the rubber size. Why? Shit breaks too easily. Of course it depends on the attitude and experience of the driver. Right attitude to stay well with capabilities of the vehicle---then no problem.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #16 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Rock God

I wheeled mine stock. I went to 37"s and 4" lift as I didn't want to build it again. If I could have made it though areas others could with a stock jeep then I would have saved my cash and say buy a stock jeep to others. A jk stock is amazing FYI. A jku wheelbase makes it not so capable due to break over clearance. A stock jku cannot go where a built jku can go.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode