Aftermarket seats - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Aftermarket seats

I've been really thinking about getting some Corbeau seats to replace my worn factory seats in my 07. I don't have side airbags or anything but there is some kind of pressure switch in the passenger seat to deactivate the airbag when a dog or child is in it. Has anyone installed aftermarket seats and had any issues with the factory wiring or getting the new seats to work correctly with the electronics?

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Also I just noticed the factory seatbelt receptacle is attached to the seats. How do you get around that with aftermarket seats like Corbeau?

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

This is funny. I used Quadratec's live chat to try and get an answer, since they appear to be Corbeau experts and have a whole section of the website for them. The guy's answer was to have the dealer install them or search google and Jeep forums. Wow. I want his easy fucking job. I could get paid all day to tell people to search google. WTF?

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd reccomend going with a different seat. I was looking at Corbeau seats also till I sat in them vs the mastercrafts I'm getting. In my opnion they were less comfortable than the stock seats. (If thats even possible).

There are several write-ups on here on how to deactivate lights and keep factory seatbelts.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

You interrupted his nap. Asshole.

I'm not sure if this has it all, but...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/archiv...p/t-33291.html

And receptacle...you mean the female end right by the console? Other people have done it. Although I'm not sure how

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I searched and found a few threads but nothing in depth about the install. I did see some quality control issues posted about Corbeaus though. Now I'm on the fence again. I'd like to sit in the seats before buying them but there's nowhere around here that stocks them that I know of.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Corbeau has an issue where the seat back snaps into the flat position. Someone on here posted about it a while back and I witnessed it happen first hand at EJS to a buddy in our group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

This video should give you an idea...

http://youtu.be/LsJHrSLFcCQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the vid Rancho. They make it seem pretty much like plug n play but other threads I've read show people taking apart the stock seats to remove pressure sensors and stuff.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #10 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

I've considered aftermarket seats as well - something with much better side bolsters. I did Katzin leather (I prefer to wipe the AZ dust off rather than try to get it out of cloth seats - even though cloth is cooler) but the stock seats aren't very supportive nor do they keep you planted when getting tossed side to side.

I like the Mastercraft Baja but they don't offer in a leather (or full vinyl) where as Corbeau does - swaying me to Corbeau. Is Mastercraft that much better of a seat than Corbeau?
post #11 of 12 Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
I've considered aftermarket seats as well - something with much better side bolsters. I did Katzin leather (I prefer to wipe the AZ dust off rather than try to get it out of cloth seats - even though cloth is cooler) but the stock seats aren't very supportive nor do they keep you planted when getting tossed side to side.

I like the Mastercraft Baja but they don't offer in a leather (or full vinyl) where as Corbeau does - swaying me to Corbeau. Is Mastercraft that much better of a seat than Corbeau?
Yes it is.

I have the baja rs seats and love them. I understand your concerns about the tweed material but i find them easy enough to keep clean. easy to wipe down the vinyl sides and beat out all the dust from the tweed.

The difference in having a true suspension seat was night and day. The bolsters always keep me planted back in the seat. I am able to run the factory seatbelts and use 5 point harnesses on the trail.

I've seen plenty of corbeaus busted over the years. Hardly any mastercrafts.... My $.02 - Mastercraft really makes a great product.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #12 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can you post up some pics of the baja RS seats installed?

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode