Engine Light after fill up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Engine Light after fill up

I stopped to fill up at lunch and when I got back into my Jeep, the engine light stayed on. The cap was tight so I guess I'll need to stop by NAPA and get the code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Rock God

Bummer. On your 2014?
post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

curious to see what made it come on

OIF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Rock God

methinks u need a new cap, try removing and replacing
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went by Advance Auto and he pulled the code. It was an Evap leak which means the gas cap. He cleared the code and it hasn't come back.

The interesting thing is that I didn't get 10' after filling up before the light came on. I might need to hit the dealer up for a new gas cap.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Wheeler

Funny, I have driven miles with my cap off,(a few times actually), and have never activated that sensor on my '09.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000ft View Post
Funny, I have driven miles with my cap off,(a few times actually), and have never activated that sensor on my '09.
X2 on my '12. Did it like 3 times over a few days during Sierra Trek and the light never came on.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Did you fill it right to the top? Mild evap leak doesn't necessarily mean the cap. Some fuel may have splashed it's way to the evap line and threw the system into a fit. Sometimes after either a hard rain or after I wash it, I get the evap code. I don't know if water works it's way under the cap or what. So I avoid spraying right towards the gas cap when I'm washing. It's more sensitive to this during the colder months, too. Every once in awhile when I get it, I just clear the code. Usually doesn't come back till after I wash it or a really hard rain (windy, driving rain) again.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #9 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just ordered this so I can use the Torque app for Android as a OBD2 scan tool.

, Granite,
post #10 of 16 Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Just ordered this so I can use the Torque app for Android as a OBD2 scan tool.

Well, cancelled the Amazon order for this because it won't work with the Galaxy S5 since they no longer use the Menu button.

Bought this cheapie that had good reviews.

, Granite,
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

After clearing the CEL 3 times and it coming on for the 4th time yesterday, I dropped it off at the dealer last night. They're going to check it out today.

The code was P0456 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)

Any guesses on what they will find?

Gas Cap?

, Granite,
post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
After clearing the CEL 3 times and it coming on for the 4th time yesterday, I dropped it off at the dealer last night. They're going to check it out today.

The code was P0456 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)

Any guesses on what they will find?

Gas Cap?

My guess would be ......BACON...lots of bacon

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Could be a crack in the evap can. I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if it was discussed. Could also be a loose fitting, zip-tie/ clamp coming into or out of the evap canister, or could be as simple as a gas cap that may be cracked or have a bad seal.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 16 Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Could be a crack in the evap can. I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if it was discussed. Could also be a loose fitting, zip-tie/ clamp coming into or out of the evap canister, or could be as simple as a gas cap that may be cracked or have a bad seal.
I called for a status late yesterday afternoon and they hadn't found the problem yet. They need to get it in gear because I want my JK back today.

, Granite,
post #15 of 16 Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Doesn't take but 30 minutes to smoke test a Chrysler, actually can have it smoking in less than 5 with practice.

Unhook hoses from evap solenoid, block off vent hose, hook smoker to evap hose at solenoid, turn on machine.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #16 of 16 Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

They did a smoke test and determined that it was the sensor because there were no leaks.

They also flashed the TPM, ECM, and Trans (shifts better).

When I was driving to work, something didn't feel right. I determined that it was my feeling that my Jeep had been violated by other wrenches and now she is just a dirty slut.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode