Viair OBA install questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Viair OBA install questions

hi all, wasn't too sure if this goes in the electrical section since it's pretty general question. I have pretty much finished up installing the Viair heavy duty OBA with the dash panel gauge but I'm stuck on the on/off switch instructions. In the diagram, it shows the power cable (with the inline fuse) from the regulator connecting to the Jeep's battery: here's the link
http://www.viaircorp.com/images/schematics/oba_wd.pdf

but in the written instructions, it says to connect the power wire, the one with the inline fuse, from the battery to the on/off switch. Which one is it?

the second question is, if the power wire from the battery is supposed to connect to the relay switch, the diagram shows that one of the on/off male connections needs to be connected to a keyed power source. What is that and how do I do that?

Last question, I know that the wire from the regulator to the on/off switch is too short and won't reach the on/off switch, so I'll have to splice/have wire long enough to reach. What gauge wire should I use for this?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Rock God

Battery power to the pressure switch (inline fuse). You can use battery power to the toggle switch but running ignition controlled power means you won't ever leave it on by accident and drain your battery.

Use the same gauge wire as you are extending on the on/off switch. It is pretty low draw as all it does is trip the relay in the pressure switch.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Battery power to the pressure switch (inline fuse). You can use battery power to the toggle switch but running ignition controlled power means you won't ever leave it on by accident and drain your battery.

Use the same gauge wire as you are extending on the on/off switch. It is pretty low draw as all it does is trip the relay in the pressure switch.
Awesome, thanks for the info. For tapping in to the fuse box, could I use a fuse tap like the one here in the link:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57703 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. For tapping in to the fuse box, could I use a fuse tap like the one here in the link:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57703 ?
Yes, you could Andy.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Yes, you could Andy.
Awesome, thanks Scott! Usually I jump in head first when working on the jeep, but I'm always extra careful/leery when working on anything electrical on the rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode