Half doors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Half doors

Just curious why you run half doors? Besides they look cool (doorless looks great too). Safety for kids? More aerodynamic? I have been considering getting some of the rugged ridge half doors, but I can't figure out when I would use them. If the weather is nice enough for them I'm gonna be doorless. If it's not then I'd have my full doors on. My full doors usually come off mid April and stay off rain or shine till early October.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Just curious why you run half doors? Safety?
Yup, SAFETY!

I have full doors, but when I have more storage room at home, half doors are in the plan.

Many times, I've run over a deadfall and had it kick up against the side of the Jeep.

My passenger door has a crease / dent from a stick (branch) standing up and dragging along it.
If the door wasn't there, my wife's kidney would have been the point of contact.

If you're in the open or on the beach, doorless is probably fine. In the woods, sticks can be dicks.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 16 Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Wheeler

I have a set of strike force zebra half doors. Mainly for the wife who won't let me go doorless, but driving to work I throw my stuff in the passenger footwell and don't want it to come falling it. That's about it

2017 JKU Willys Wheeler w/ Mopar Half Doors
Granite Metallic
JCR Stubby Mauler Front Bumper w/skid plate
JCR Crusauder Mid Width Rear Bumper
SuperWinch LP8500
ACE Engineering Rock Sliders
Rough Country 3in LED Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

I really could have used half doors a couple of weeks ago wheeling...i ended up going through a water crossing that was just above the door sill. Half doors would have kept most of that water out and let me have the visibility that comes with the doors off wheeling experience. Plus, it would save my full doors from scratches and other trail damage.

That said, Savvy makes a really nice pair of doors, made from aluminum no less.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

Location: behind a computer answering questions. Wish it was a trail.

I went with a set of the Savvy half aluminum doors. The reason being is that my 2 year old daughter didn't like how "open" the Rancho tube doors are. ( I am Rancho too, so I have those tube doors with the Spider Web Skins). She likes the half doors a lot. My six year old son, doesn't care if there are doors, tube doors, half doors or no doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Just curious why you run half doors? Besides they look cool (doorless looks great too). Safety for kids? More aerodynamic? I have been considering getting some of the rugged ridge half doors, but I can't figure out when I would use them. If the weather is nice enough for them I'm gonna be doorless. If it's not then I'd have my full doors on. My full doors usually come off mid April and stay off rain or shine till early October.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For me its because I have factory half doors...(2door)
so every thing I need to put the top back up rides with me in the cargo area

Upper halfs
door surounds
back side windows

if it starts to rain and I need my top its all right there.. all the time.

I couldnt see owning full doors..and with the factory halfdoors I dont need aftermarket..

I still pop the doors off..but not as much as I would if I had fulls

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

The main reason I run half doors is that I get a better view of things when I'm wheeling and a sense of security that my fat butt won't slide out on off camber situations (I know I won't when running with no doors but it still freaks me out a bit).
post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I run factory half doors and uppers with a TrekTop NX. I ditched my hard top and full doors and dig the half doors. I don't have a garage or storage (I live on the road in my RV), so I wanted the half doors for visibility, comfort, and coolness factor. The uppers pop out easily and can stay in the RV or back of the Jeep, and visibility out the doors is much better than rolling down the windows of a full door. The half doors are a fraction of what the full doors weigh. I never run doorless, and like that my alarm is still armed if any idiot wants to open one of my doors. I also like the stock mirrors and the mounting location.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Rock God

Because half doors are badass... and because Mrs KOOL AID refuses to ride in the Jeep without doors, so there's that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Besides the fact plain that factory half doors are pure sexy, I run mine during dry season because the trails are three + hours away and with the uppers on I don't have deal with getting beat by the elements before I get there. At trail uppers come off and like the arm rest and increased viability factor. I have a set of tube doors that I rarely even use, just because to me it is only slightly less annoying than going doorless at extended highway speeds.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #11 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Forgot about the superior arm restability factor. That also kicks much ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 AM
JKowners Vendor

Savvy makes some nice half doors as well.

RK
post #13 of 16 Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Everyone else pretty much nailed it. I had factory half doors on my TJ and I miss them. Full doors suck when your shoulder is touching the side of your neck trying to see an obstacle. Having mud and water blast you with no doors sucks. I have been eyeballing those Savvy doors with interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

1. Chicks dig half doors
2. you get all the benefits of doorless but no mud/dirt/water flung up on you when you are on the trail.

I just recently got a set of the Bestop soft doors. Ran the lowers while wheeling this weekend and absolutely loved them. We were on Black Mtn in Harlan, Co, Ky and there are some wet areas. Kept a ton of crap out of my jeep.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I wanted half doors for the longest time but found them way too expensive - at least new - and gave up. At least for now.

What I did instead is took a hybrid approach where I have rancho tube doors up front with spider web shade door skins and rugged ridge rear half doors for the kiddos. I like it so far but it's summer only. Full doors and hard top go on in winter. No plans on going with the rr fronts or uppers for the rear. The rear doors at decent and heavy (tube doors inside the plastic?) but i find the occasional popping noises from the heat expansion and contraction a little annoying. I found a cheap set of power heated mirrors ($90 for the pair versus each) and plan to wire them in with a hacked up OEM door harness at some point.

I do hope to find my way to a set of mopar half doors at some point. They are well made and I have see them in person several times.

RRauzer has great points (and I've seen his Rig and half doors) and we are in the same boat with respect to distance from some of the very same trails. In my case, I'm an ex biker (bmw twin, honda crotch rockets plus off road stuff) and have no problem driving the jeep all day to and from the trail as well as on the trail with no doors. The overhead and tube soor shades do take some of the edge off. Between my weather resistant winter jacket and northridge logo beanie, I'm good. Though I just picked up a milwaukee fuel m12 driver and also saw that they also offer some very interesting m12 powered heated parkas.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 AM
It never ends...

Half doors on trail (Strike Force Zebra) to keep shit in the rig when it is tipped on its side.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode