AEV Pintler wheels - week flanges, horrible warranty - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
AEV Pintler wheels - week flanges, horrible warranty

For the 2nd time I've bent or broken a part of the wheel flange on my AEV Pintlers. Hasn't happened on the trail, but rather running higher speeds (25-40 mph) on the gravel/dirt/rock roads between the trail and the asphalt air-up location. The first time I thought it was a fluke and that one went on as the spare as I figured out what to do. Now it's happened again. I was running 14 pounds of air and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I never lost a bead or air pressure.

I'm not aggressive when it comes to the skinny pedal, so it's not like I'm running a Baja 1000 or a Rally Race. But now when it happens twice, something isn't right.

A quick google search and I see others have had a similar problems.

I contact AEV and they respond:
"Let me start off by saying thank you for supporting AEV! If it wasn’t for customers like you, we wouldn’t be where we are today. As I’m sure you are aware, all of us here are very big into off-roading. Looking at the pictures, there are multiple gouges all over the wheels “AKA” rock rash. It is physically impossible for something like that to happen just driving down a gravel road. Our warranty states a life time structural warranty against manufacturers defects. We do not cover off-road damage. As far as this being a defective cast, we sell over 40,000 Pintler wheels a year. We have only seen this a hand full of times which as well was caused from off-road abuse. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions."

Then my response:

Yes, I do take my Jeep on trails, and in Arizona, there are a lot of rocks. I am very careful and slow when on the trail, but yes, there are times the sidewalls scrape - thus the "rash" but not the breakage and cracking. When I leave the trail, I inspect the tires and wheels to be sure they are ok in which to run on the gravel roads leading to the trail. This is why I know that it happened not on the trail, but on the gravel road. (there are washboard ruts and rocks on our gravel roads here - unlike those in the midwest where I'm from and where AEV is located.

You say the warranty doesn't cover off-road damage, yet from your own site, the description of the Pintler wheels say:
"AEV's classic wheel design, the Pintler combines timeless styling with the innovative features and off-road strength that you've come to expect from AEV. We pioneered the idea of recessed valve stems, which come in pretty handy when you're dragging your wheels across rocks or other obstacles."

In a quick google search I found these other instances of the same kind of failure:
http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=7178

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82056

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1...er-wheel-issue

I went with AEV because I felt it the product quality and warranty was worth the premium price?
Is there no accommodation for these types of situations?

Then AEV's response:
"Since Airpark (the Jeep dealer) sold you the parts and did the work, take to them and see what they think. If they have any questions have Travis call me."

So AEV won't stand behind their premium priced product, and the try to pass me off to the dealer. Sheesh. Short sighted. If anyone is considering buying AEV products, you may want to re-consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Craptastic, way to stand behind a product you know will get used. I wonder if they'd pull this shit on you if you bought the beadlocked version and had this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Craptastic, way to stand behind a product you know will get used. I wonder if they'd pull this shit on you if you bought the beadlocked version and had this happen?
WHy yes, they would. I had a set of pintler beadlocks on my JK. To start with, they had the thinnest crappiest paint on them that chipped just by looking at dirt......Two of the wheels ripped the beadlock and ridge right off the wheel. I contacted them and they replaced one of the wheels but that one was so horrible as far as paint goes, it went in my "spare" pile. I would never spend this kind of money on one of their wheels again. Most of their other stuff I like and it has been 7 years since i got em but apparently they still have some quality issues. Here is a pic of how thin the paint is (or non-existent in the lug area)

Last edited by billyjk7; 08-13-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wow. That really, really sucks. The premium you pay for those wheels you'd think that you would get at least a quality product. That blows, cause I really liked those wheels and I thought they would be a good replacement and upgrade for my steel wheels that I currently have now. But if they don't stand up to rashing at all, I'm out. Fuck that. I'm not paying over a grand for something that I'm going to be stressed about (actually, something else to be stressed about) while I'm wheeling.

Hope that you get your issue resolved OP

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like curb rash and if it was a factory wheel it wouldn't be covered either.
post #6 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedundanT View Post
Looks like curb rash and if it was a factory wheel it wouldn't be covered either.
Those lips look paper thin. The lip on my AE wheels is literally 1/2" thick, those look like maybe 3/16" if not thinner.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #7 of 61 Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

I had a set of five Pintlers, within two wheelin trips I jacked up four of them bad..bent wheels, broken weight lips,etc. terrible wheels!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Granite Guru

I've got a set, like the looks but I think they are better suited for the beach, occasional fire trail. What do you expect from a made in China wheel? Before I purchased them I called AEV and asked why China...they got pretty testy about that!

I have Hutchinson Rock monster wheels for my Super Duty axels, and I expect they will get beat up as well. Rocks are tougher than aluminum!
post #9 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jeep View Post
I've got a set, like the looks but I think they are better suited for the beach, occasional fire trail. What do you expect from a made in China wheel? Before I purchased them I called AEV and asked why China...they got pretty testy about that!

I have Hutchinson Rock monster wheels for my Super Duty axels, and I expect they will get beat up as well. Rocks are tougher than aluminum!

...you do realize that pretty much every OEM wheel on the road is cast in China, right?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #10 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

From the Pintler product page on the AEV site:

Made In: China. And for the record, we’re not happy about it. At AEV, we remain committed to American manufacturing, and we would much rather have our wheels manufactured in the US. But right now, you can’t get wheels made in the US at aftermarket volumes.

What happened? Most of the US wheel manufacturing used to be based in California. In the early nineties, China targeted the wheel industry as a strategic growth industry. They set up incentives for the construction of wheel manufacturing facilities, began offering export credits of 22% on wheels, and fully subsidized the cost of new tooling. US plants couldn’t compete. Most US manufacturers ended up selling their equipment to China, created partnerships with the Chinese plants, and became middle men importing wheels back to the US.

Today, the only cast wheel plants left in the US are for high volume OE wheel programs. So unfortunately, buying from China is a necessary evil of being in the aftermarket cast wheel business. We have made the effort to buy from a high quality Chinese plant. Our plant also produces OE wheels for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Harley Davidson, among others. Our supplier has Americans on the ground in China who oversee our programs for us, and we have been over to China to inspect and visit the plant.

When lower volume manufacturing becomes feasible again in the US, we will be first in line. Over the past 20 years, the Chinese government has stopped subsidizing tooling, has been phasing out the wheel export credits, and as of 2011 they finally eliminated the wheel credits. We hope that in time, US plants will be able to compete and we will start to see some volume move back to the US.
post #11 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

That being said, they are a shit design wheel, regardless where they are made.

post #12 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Manufacturing defects can happen to the best of companies. Most customers understand this. The best ones will stand behind their products and do right by their customers.

AEV promotes itself, on it's own website, by saying things like:

"Our goal is simple: to provide the highest quality Jeep Wrangler accessories available anywhere in the world, period. We’re not a wheel company making hundreds of different designs or a suspension company making products for twenty different vehicles. Quite simply, AEV is a Jeep Wrangler company."

"We pride ourselves on creating accessories that excel in off-road and overland expedition situations, while never compromising on road handling, safety or comfort"

"You might expect this level of professional design, engineering, testing, and manufacturing to result in a premium price, and you‘d be right"

"There are plenty of low cost options out there, but AEV customers recognize that the quality, function, and longevity of our products provide great value, despite the higher initial cost. Many of our customers have already tried the lower end brands and now realize that they would rather build their Jeep once and enjoy using it rather than working on their Jeep every weekend, fixing or replacing parts."

"We pioneered the idea of recessed valve stems, which come in pretty handy when you're dragging your wheels across rocks or other obstacles. Most importantly, these wheels were designed for Jeeps, not as a one-size-fits-all aftermarket wheel."

There is a big disconnect between how the company presents and touts itself before the sale and after the sale. Considering the ability for customers to broadly share their experiences with companies through social media, it is short-sighted when brands are given an opportunity to support their brand promise, but yet choose not to. Can you imagine how much of an advocate customers like me and the others who have had this issue would be if AEV were to make it right? It's a small price to pay considering the larger business at stake.
post #13 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

American Eagle and a bunch of other wheels are still made in the USA, for the cost of AEV their wheels, they should be made here. My AE's were made here and were still less expensive than the AEV. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

Quote:
post #14 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
American Eagle and a bunch of other wheels are still made in the USA, for the cost of AEV their wheels, they should be made here. My AE's were made here and were still less expensive than the AEV. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

Just glancing at the AE site, it looks like they are all billet wheels, no?

post #15 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Not all, the wheels I bought are counter pressure cast.

http://www.americaneaglewheel.com/pa...acturing&id=13

Made here was one of the selling points. I would buy from them again, no question, these wheels are made well and look great!

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 08-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.
post #16 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So by AEV's own insight to manufacturing in China, their wheels should be priced the same as ProComp (who still makes their steel wheels in the US).

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #17 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
So by AEV's own insight to manufacturing in China, their wheels should be priced the same as ProComp (who still makes their steel wheels in the US).

What does AEV sell that is priced comparable to the same part made by someone else?

post #18 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I do not know of any cast wheel produced in the USA. All the casting companies left years ago. Billet,forged and steel wheels are mostly produced in the states. I do know that Aev wheels are made in a OEM plant that makes VW and Audi wheels. I have personally tested mine all over the southwest and never has one crack like this. Looking at the photos it appears to be from an impact.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #19 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

I'll add mine...

I have 100x more confidence in stock wheels than I do Pintlers, as I ran them for years before going to Pintlers. Somehow, within only two runs, I destroyed a set of Pintlers...The other wheels had indentions into them as well, but I don't have pictures of those.

post #20 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I do not know of any cast wheel produced in the USA. All the casting companies left years ago. Billet,forged and steel wheels are mostly produced in the states. I do know that Aev wheels are made in a OEM plant that makes VW and Audi wheels. I have personally tested mine all over the southwest and never has one crack like this. Looking at the photos it appears to be from an impact.

Jason
OOH! OOH! OOH! Mister Kotter! Misssterrr Kottair!

TrailReady - cast and machined in the USA (also an awesome wheel, in my experience).

EDIT: priced competitively with wheels that needed a boat ride to get to you, too.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 08-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #21 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post

Jason
Jason, did you even read what I posted. AE has two facilities on US soil that do counter pressure cast wheels.

Quote:
post #22 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Jason, did you even read what I posted. AE has two facilities on US soil that do counter pressure cast wheels.
GTK if you like their wheels

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

I love how people say shit like it can't be done here, or its too expensive.. Nice.. Why companies like this even succeed is beyond me.. my .02

More Cowbell
post #24 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
OOH! OOH! OOH! Mister Kotter! Misssterrr Kottair!

TrailReady - cast and machined in the USA (also an awesome wheel, in my experience).

EDIT: priced competitively with wheels that needed a boat ride to get to you, too.
Damn it, I had the same answer but I'm always that kid who doesn't raise his hand fast enough.

TrailReady are 100% American. Also, I believe they are one of the only (if not THE only) beadlock that can claim that.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #25 of 61 Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
That being said, they are a shit design wheel, regardless where they are made.

Awe they "look" ok enough but the back spacing sucks, and well I'll agree the build quality isn't the best. The wheels that are abuse proof are few, sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode