I have a serious dilemma.....please help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a serious dilemma.....please help

Ok i serious issue right now. I only have the money for one of the two.

option one is to pick up a 240V mig. going back and forth between hobart and lincoln at the moment. I currently own a 120V lincoln pro mig 135 (old version). Been welding with straight co2 and hard wire. Prepping well and not going outside the welders duty cycle has kept me ahead this far. Plan to modify my front bumper and build a rear from scratch for starters.

option two is to order RK 2.5 stock and a set of bilsteins.

Not sure if i should go with a lift or new welder.

Im currently in a 2014 two door with bushwacker flats, 35s, lod sliders, and a warn stubby .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Hmmm....which do you do more of. Wheel or weld? Which would benefit you the most? Is the RK lift you mention just a starter lift or is it the end all for you?

Sent with half a chub goin...

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #3 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

the rk kit would be a starter. mainly want the coils out of it in the long run. Would eventually like to make my own long arms for it and stretch it. So i would be using the welder there. But i need a 2nd vehicle before i get that involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

I installed the RK stock mod package from Marcus a couple of weeks ago. I've had it out wheeling twice for about 8 hours each time. My thoughts on the lift:

-I went with the Fox shocks. I'm really happy with them. On the road, I think it rides better than the stock Rubicon suspension that it replaced. Less body roll and the bumps are smooth. In my two door, I get less side to side rolling on diagonal bumps in the road, where each tire would hit at a different time. All that and it's less jarring, plus it controls the rebound a hell of a lot better than stock.

-Now the fun one; offroad, even on my stock arms, the difference is pretty wild. The flex I get out of those triple rate coils and the shocks is awesome. My 2 door is pretty light, so I did get more than the advertised 2.5". With the front disconnected, it seems like the coils just want to stretch forever. I did get into some sections that before, would have thrown the Jeep way to one side before. But now, it stays relatively flat and planted. I'm thoroughly impressed with the performance of this lift, even on stock arms. For the money that I spent, it was worth every dime. Wheeling is really enjoyable whereas I am confident where I used to second guess. I can't praise those coils enough. Plus, the track bar is super solid and the rear relocation bracket is certainly stout. Here is a little stretching that was caught on camera from one of those days out

The biggest limiting factor I have now is actually my rear sway bar end links. In the picture, the front has way more than the back, well, they are why. I'm going to rectify that soon. I didn't realize how much lift I was going to get with it, so I have no worries about adding some weight, reasonably, to my Jeep. It makes my 33x12.5 inch tires look kinda dumb now.

My vote is the lift, install, enjoy and save for the welder over the winter. I thought that the kit was going to leave me wanting for a lot more, but I'm actually happy as is, save for tires.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I've wheeled mine at doe Valley on blue trails and it did pretty well except for a little rub here and there. Not bad though. I'm leaning towards the lift at this time.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Rock God

I never regret spending money on good tools. It never feels like money wasted.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Option 2 IMO...

OIF
post #8 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wait a minute never said wasted money..... Looking at priority money
post #9 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

IMO welder trumps lift. Welder is useful for many things Jeep related, and many that are not. A welder can be used to help friends. A welder can be used to make extra money.

Your Jeep is not broken. It can wheel now as it sits. Yes, the lift kit will allow you to wheel more difficult terrain, but that also increases the chance that you will break something, and wish you had a better welder to fix it.

Answer: Buy the welder.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpatton View Post
Wait a minute never said wasted money..... Looking at priority money
Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to imply that either was a waste of money. All I meant is that I've never regretted buying tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode