Not On-Board Air, But... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Not On-Board Air, But...

I just got done setting up my compressor. It will be nice to be able to air down (and back up again) on the next trail ride.

I was originally planning on installing the compressor (went with an ARB) in the Jeep and setting up on-board air. But I couldn't help coming back to the fact that the compressor would be as useful in my work truck as in my Jeep, so I decided a portable setup would be better.

I bought a 28" tool box and just mounted everything in that. I bought a 2 gallon steel tank to go in the box along with the compressor. I modified the wire harness that comes with the ARB compressor to work with the setup. I soldered two alligator clamps to the wires for the battery connection. I used the pressure switch included with the compressor and the switch I had originally purchased to go with my SPod. I didn't know the compressor came with a switch, so I ended up with two, oh well.

Just thought I'd share. I haven't used it yet, but will report back once I do if anybody is interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Also, there's enough room in the box for a few extra tools, an air-down tool, gauge, spare valve cores, plug kit, etc. Should be a handy thing to have on the trail (or in the work truck). The only extra tool in there so far is the air blower visible in the picture.

I plan on adding a gauge to the tank eventually. I have an extra port on the plumbing, but it's just plugged for now since I don't have a gauge yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Me likely. Great thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #5 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

That's cool, you might want it throw in a pair of work gloves god knows the end of the air line gets hot as hell when the compressor has been running for a while.

its all about the crawl ratio.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Rock God

Nice flexible setup. I like it.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

That set up is what a lot of guys in Australia run....you never really see people with charged air tanks...too much of a hassle getting them filled.
Nice job!
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys. It will be nice to finally have a compressor. I've plugged and filled a flat with a hand pump before. Not fun.

Gloves are a good idea to add to the box, thanks for the suggestion.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Random Dude

I dig it!

Only unmentioned thing I can think of: the compressor will get hot - keep an eye out in case the heat is enough to soften or deform the plastic box.
The compressor appears to be mounted in the box, correct? You may need to put some stick-on heat shield matting inside the box near the compressor.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have and used the toolbox in question for about 5 weeks now, its a thicker 1/8 inch thick wall toolbox with an OK water seal from Bostitch. It(or maybe just mine) does like to warp a little bit inward around the latches before buckling them but heat has never been much of an issue(hot welding pliers, chipping hammer ect). I definitely will be following this one.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #11 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I dig it!

Only unmentioned thing I can think of: the compressor will get hot - keep an eye out in case the heat is enough to soften or deform the plastic box.
The compressor appears to be mounted in the box, correct? You may need to put some stick-on heat shield matting inside the box near the compressor.
Yeah, the compressor is mounted to the box. We'll see how it goes.

I did bolt the compressor to the side of the box, rather than the bottom, so it would be closer to the top and would possibly cool a bit better. Also, the handle area of the side of the box where the compressor is mounted is a bit thicker than the rest of the box.

Hopefully it will hold up ok. I'd be a little surprised if the mounting bracket of the compressor got hot enough to melt the plastic (a bit of deformation wouldn't be too big an issue as long as it wasn't enough to cause it to fail), but time will tell. If it seems like it's an issue once I start using it I could mount the compressor on stand-offs instead of against the plastic and put a layer of foil on the box to reflect the heat.

Once I've used it I'll report back with how it goes. It may be a couple weeks before I get out on the trails again. I will likely use it sooner than that, but maybe not for as long as it would take to air up four tires (or eight if my buddy begs enough).
post #12 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Also a good place to keep a tire plug kit, some spare valve stems, cores, caps, valve core tool, etc.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #13 of 14 Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Granite Guru

nice job..now market that crap and sell it...lol

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Rock God

Very nice. If you start to notice the heat is too much for your toolbox, heat sinks or some finned tube (used as mounting spacers) may help out. Or you could cut holes in the side of the toolbox to mount a couple of computer fans to keep air circulating through the box while the air compressor is on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode