I figured I'd make a couple remarks on my new jku from 2 miles to 3000 miles. Maybe it'll encourage somebody to make the plunge into a jeep.
First thing I'll mention is this is my first jeep,period. Never have even ridden very much in one, and never at all in a 4 door.
I'm still in the honeymoon phase I know, but at this stage I can say that I'm overly pleased with it.
1. I'm impressed with the power. Coming from the suzuki samurai world, anything over 60 hp feels strong.
2. The ride on road is pleasant. Great manners on the highway in stock form. I did upgrade the tires and rims to a 33x13.50x15 Toyo MT's on Blackrock rims.
3. The fuel mileage is good. Notice I said good and not great. For the weight of my jeep, not to mention the brick type aerodynamics, I'm pleased overall. I noticed a 2 mpg loss from stock tires to the toyo's. I'm averaging 16.2 around town now versus the 18 I got on the stockers. Same driving habits, etc.
4. The roominess. Again, coming from a tin top samurai, I have lots more space for my gear. I have the hard top. It aint a truck by any means, but ample room for what I need.
5. Security. The main reason I chose the hard top. I dont have to worry about an honest thief stealing my valuables. A thief is gonna bust a glass if he wants in, no matter what you drive, but a soft top will tempt a lowlife whereas a hard top will have him pass on by.
So far so great. I'm very happy with my jeep, and am glad I'm a warrior in the jeep nation.