Another locker in front question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another locker in front question

Just got my 15 2 dr. Ordered wheels and tires and set up appointment to have a True Trac installed in the rear. Asked the shop for an estimate on an Aussie for the front and I was told that they won't put a locker in the front of a JK. He said the wheel base is to short. My question is: who has a locker in front of their 2dr JK and have you had any problems. Did a search on lockers up front and got a ton of info most of it good, but nobody stated if they had a 2dr or 4dr. I can't see it making that much of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you driving in bad weather often where you need 4x4? If so, a selectable is a much better option for you.

...If not, then tell them to put the locker in, you'll pay the bill and they can leave you alone.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Just got my 15 2 dr. Ordered wheels and tires and set up appointment to have a True Trac installed in the rear. Asked the shop for an estimate on an Aussie for the front and I was told that they won't put a locker in the front of a JK. He said the wheel base is to short. My question is: who has a locker in front of their 2dr JK and have you had any problems. Did a search on lockers up front and got a ton of info most of it good, but nobody stated if they had a 2dr or 4dr. I can't see it making that much of a difference.
I would never talk to that shop again. RUN AWAY!

I have the Eaton in the rear and Detroit in the front. I don't even know its there in 2wd. In 4WD its pretty well behaved..maybe tight to turn when up on rocks etc but that's normal.

2013 2 Door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
The factory installs lockers front & rear in the Rubicon. I think the issue with the shop is that you want to put an automatic locker in front, wich on a street rig might be a handfull, particularly on ice. If it were my rig I'd do the rverse of what you're considering, Tru-Trac in front and a manual locker, like ARB or E-Locker in the rear.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Detroit in the front
truetrac or full?

FWIW I have a grizzly in back and a eaton E awaiting install for the front of my 4dr.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Granite Guru

You really want select-able's on a short WB , on slippery roads (don't know if you use as DD) you can be caught , not payin' attention . JMHO . It happens quick . Pretty side up if ya catch my drift , just safer .....regards k.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Who said run away from that shop? Follow that advice, cause the 2 Dr JK is the longest swb Jeep made, so ask the shop how many TJ's or CJ's they've refused.

Anyway, I love the selectable locker in the front of mine. I used it this weekend for the tight trails. Click it on for the rough spots, click it off for the twists and turns. I also liked it because given the awesome power steering system that Jeep blessed the JK with, I could flip off the locker and not make the steering do quite so much work. I've found that on longer trail rides (we were out about 8 hours) unless you only use the locker when necessary, it does make the pump whine sometimes. I'm trying to avoid too much abuse on the PS system so the selectable helps that.

But a good buddy of mine has two Detroits in his CJ7. Other than the odd 3 point turn, he does just fine as the locker tends to unlock to get around corners in the trails (as it should). I'd still opt for a selectable in your situation though

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #8 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

While selectable lockers are nice, the Aussie locker is good for its price point.
I had one in my 2007 2-door X. Never had an issue in bad weather, never got "caught out". It handled great in or out of 4x4, and on all kinds of terrain and conditions. It also drastically improved the capability of the Jeep offroad. Sandy hillclimbs that had me stuck previously were easy once I'd locked it.
I say tell the shop they're full of it.

As proof I offer this. Bill, President of Aussie Locker, and a local mechanic, Ryan, installing my locker in my old JK:
post #9 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

I said it! RUN. To tell someone not to do locker because the wheel base is to short. ..Iam sorryb that's lazy advice.

Does that mean you cant use a selectable? Come on now. ..

Ihave the Detroit Auto locker in the front and its awesome.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
truetrac or full?

FWIW I have a grizzly in back and a eaton E awaiting install for the front of my 4dr.
Greg, its full - auto locker....
post #11 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info. This is my DD and I'm putting a TT in the rear so I need to go cheap with the front. I live in SE Mich. and the only time I'm going to need a locker up front is when I go up North hunting in November or hit the fire trails. A selectable is out of the question, to much for the little I'm going to use it. I've read lots of threads from those that have lockers in the front and they say they're not an issue, but I was just wondering if the longer wheel base made that much of a difference or the shop I'm at was just covering their a--. The shop has been there forever and I trust them. All they do is Diffs and axles. I had them put TT's in the front and rear of my 85 Chevy PU when it was new, and never had any issues.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Rock God

"Greg, its full - auto locker.... "

sweet, I've driven some of our friends around here bat shit crazy asking locker questions and then blazing my own cheap auto trail irregardless of all the good advice you can get on the net.....

Nice to see a pic of someone manufacturing something in the US too!!!!!

Last edited by Catfish; 08-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Granite Guru

The street won't pose a problem with an Aussie in front since the axle isn't getting power. No power, no lockup.

The rear though is going to lock every single time you hit the gas which will mean a lot of tire squeal and wear.

In 4-hi or 4-lo the front being an auto locker is going to destroy your turning radius. Locked front axle will not want the jeep to turn at all.

Personally I had them in my xj and I didn't like them at all on the street and I didn't feel safe letting anyone drive my jeep on the road. They do exactly as promised off-road. Cheap lockers get you further but also kind of suck because most of the time you'd like them off.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Wheeler

I have a 2dr 09 with an aussie in the front and the factory LSD in the rear and I love the combination. it does not restrict me on turning in 4WD. the ONLY restriction I have incountered is in 2WD in tight turns which must be done slowly. I run in alot of water and deep sand, so I am in 4WD most of the time in those conditions. most of the people I wheel with do not know I have a front locker and think I am a really go driver to go where I go. yesterday I was called upon to pull out a Rubican, twice. on the street you will not know it's there,,,until you make a really tight turn, then it's gets noisy but still works. no problem on slick roads either.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anybody living in the snow belt with a locker up front. I'd love to here from you, and how it handles in snow in both 2 WD and 4 WD. Talked to the shop putting the rear TT in and got a price for a TT in the front, no freaking way. So it's a lunchbox in the front or nothing I guess.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Would you consider Western NY a part of the snowbelt? I drove that '07 with the Aussie for two years, day in and day out, through all sorts of stuff including snowstorms that were almost blizzards. That locker never once caused me a problem.
I say go for it.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 02:26 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I got an Aussie up front and a Detroit out back. And they work perfect. good luck !!!

its all about the crawl ratio.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You know what, no balls no glory. I'm ordering it Mon. screw it. Thanks for all the input. I've got my 305 70 16s going on today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode