Has anyone busted a stock 2013 rubicon axle yet? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Has anyone busted a stock 2013 rubicon axle yet?

I've seen the pics and reports on the net of busted axles around the u joint caps. The 2013s have more metal around the caps and I have not been able to find any reports of failure (yet?).

Just curious if anyone has broken a 2013 axle yet, around the u joint cap.

Bonus question.... Also curious if anyone has successfully pulled off a full circle clip conversion of stock axles. Now that I have ten factory shafts (not yet installed), I may try to convert the take out stock axles that will be kept around as spares. I think I've conjured up articles of TJ guys grinding off the bump with a die grinder but nobody with a JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Or tack the caps. I see that done often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Or tack the caps. I see that done often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Yep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks, gents. Tacking the caps is definitely decent. I was hoping to make them slightly more serviceable with the clips. That and what I lack in welding gear and ability to weld, I have in die grinder and clip installation tools.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

If they're spares, you're probably losing their reliability of jacking with them trying to get the clip deal done.

You'll pull them apart, lose a couple needle bearings, not want to spend $70/joint to replace them and even then be trying something new with how they retain if you get them back together....
Upgrade to your other shafts and those stockers will be there ready to go whenever you are.....just as long as you leave them alone.

They're still serviceable with tacked caps, just needs a little more time to do it. I've had tacked caps since..forever..on 09 axles and I haven't had trouble with them yet. [37s with beadlocks]

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
If they're spares, you're probably losing their reliability of jacking with them trying to get the clip deal done.

You'll pull them apart, lose a couple needle bearings, not want to spend $70/joint to replace them and even then be trying something new with how they retain if you get them back together....
Upgrade to your other shafts and those stockers will be there ready to go whenever you are.....just as long as you leave them alone.

They're still serviceable with tacked caps, just needs a little more time to do it. I've had tacked caps since..forever..on 09 axles and I haven't had trouble with them yet. [37s with beadlocks]
Point well taken. Thanks again. It's not like I need another project around here. Thanks for saving me the headache.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 AM
Granite Guru

Busted my axle and it led to this...these were stock ru I 2013 axles out of'a friend who went chro only....i snapped a 2010 axle first then this one...

post #8 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing. How hard did you have to work to achieve all of that wonderfulness?

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-05-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Thanks, gents. Tacking the caps is definitely decent. I was hoping to make them slightly more serviceable with the clips. That and what I lack in welding gear and ability to weld, I have in die grinder and clip installation tools.
If you wanna' tack your caps, PM me.
You're like 20 minutes from me, and I'll gladly donate 5 minutes of a Saturday to zap your caps.

As for serviceability - quick strike with a cold chisel = untacked.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cool. I prolly won't f with them and just keep them as is for spares. The jeep has been on jack stands and the new axles on the floor beneath it for almost a week now. If I can find the time today, I'll assemble the new axles and u joints. I just got around to buying some wood blocks at Home Depot for the job.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Rock God

I have not broken mine yet. I did give it hell a few days ago in 4lo climbing a 5ft high sand/clay wall. Lots of wheelspin but I was not locked front or rear at the time. Also spun the hell out of the rear screwing around in 2wd on another dirt/clay hill. Higher traction surfaces like rock will break a lot more stuff than the clay/sand/mud we have here.

RK 2.5 Triple Rate Coils, MC control arms, 40" Trail Grapplers.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Busted my axle and it led to this...these were stock ru I 2013 axles out of'a friend who went chro only....i snapped a 2010 axle first then this one...
Dang....apt user name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode