New wheels or Gears - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New wheels or Gears

Currently my tire and wheels weigh 91 lbs. The tires are 285/75/R16s. I am turning them with 3.21 gears. The wheels are 37 lbs a piece. If I change out the wheels it would cost me about $500 and I would shave 15 lbs a wheel.

However, if I regear my Jeep to 4.56 gears it would cost me about $1500 and would easily turn the wheels.

I can afford to get the wheels within the next month. If I wait on the gears it would be about 2 months. Which should I go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Rock God

There is no replacement or substitute for adequate gearing.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody0707 View Post
Currently my tire and wheels weigh 91 lbs. The tires are 285/75/R16s. I am turning them with 3.21 gears. The wheels are 37 lbs a piece. If I change out the wheels it would cost me about $500 and I would shave 15 lbs a wheel.

However, if I regear my Jeep to 4.56 gears it would cost me about $1500 and would easily turn the wheels.

I can afford to get the wheels within the next month. If I wait on the gears it would be about 2 months. Which should I go for?
Where do you ultimately want your Jeep to be? Most Jeep owners go for decent size tires, etc. Not skinny minis so IMHO you should wait and go with gears if in the long run you plan to run any larger tire than you are now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Unsprung/Rotating weight is always good to reduce, but in most cases any rig with 3.21s can benefit from a lower axle ratio.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
There is no replacement or substitute for adequate gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Unsprung/Rotating weight is always good to reduce, but in most cases any rig with 3.21s can benefit from a lower axle ratio.

X2

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode