Premier Soft Top???? Anyone?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Unhappy Premier Soft Top???? Anyone??

Does anyone else have a factory Premier a Soft top? My 13 JK Unlimited came with both tops and the soft top is like an actual soft top and the arms are spring loaded, and I don't know how to remove it to get more room in the back with the hard top on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

Unbolt the hardtop and remove it.
Unbolt the brackets that attach the soft top arms to the roll bars on each side and remove the soft top. Replace the hardtop....don't over tighten the bolts or the screw retainers for the freedom panels.

The factory ships the soft top fitted under the hardtop, but the original owner is supposed to remove one or the other roofs...they aren't supposed to both be fitted at the same time.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Unbolt the hardtop and remove it.
Unbolt the brackets that attach the soft top arms to the roll bars on each side and remove the soft top. Replace the hardtop....don't over tighten the bolts or the screw retainers for the freedom panels.

The factory ships the soft top fitted under the hardtop, but the original owner is supposed to remove one or the other roofs...they aren't supposed to both be fitted at the same time.
I understand how to remove the hard top and the bolts for the soft top but when I take the bolts out for the soft top it has a piece where the arms are attached that is spring loaded, I don't want to screw something up because there is a lot of tension on the bracket, when I unbolt the brackets. The other jeeps have never came with this kind of top. It is more like a convertible top material is a soft cloth type not a more durable material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

There is more to it in the premium spring-assist tops. There is a small strap you are supposed to use to "lock" the spring assist mechanism when you remove the top. Otherwise the spring tension keeps pressing the top hardware into the mounting brackets.

Sorry I do not have much better description. I only know this from installing mine recently. It came in the box with the locking straps installed with a big notice that said not to remove them until the top was mounted.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
There is more to it in the premium spring-assist tops. There is a small strap you are supposed to use to "lock" the spring assist mechanism when you remove the top. Otherwise the spring tension keeps pressing the top hardware into the mounting brackets.

Sorry I do not have much better description. I only know this from installing mine recently. It came in the box with the locking straps installed with a big notice that said not to remove them until the top was mounted.
This is what I am running into when taking the bolts out the spring assist is putting a lot of pressure on the brackets and I don't want to just remove it and break something. I bought the jeep used but I think I have all the straps I will have to do some more digging!
Do you know if the strap with the snap on it that is already attached to the top have something to do with that.
I put the Owners manual CD in this morning and didn't get to much out of it either. I have even YOUTUBED it and have came up with nothing!!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Wheeler

It is the strap with the snap clip. The loop on the bottom end slides over part of the bracket near the hinge.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantate View Post
It is the strap with the snap clip. The loop on the bottom end slides over part of the bracket near the hinge.
You wouldn't have any pictures of how to use it and how to clip it??? Any info would be great!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I have removed and installed the '13 Premium Soft Top that I bought for my '07 twice. At no time have I used any straps (used top didn't come with any straps).
I just lay the soft top on the Jeep, in the fully extended (closed) position, and attach the brackets to the sport cage. I don't tighten any of the hardware down until all 4 bolts are threaded about half way, to keep things from binding up. Takes all of 5 minutes, using a socket attachment on my cordless drill.
I think you could install the top in the folded (open) position as well, just might have to have a second pair of hands to hold things in place. But I haven't tried this method, as the first one I mentioned works just fine.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post
I have removed and installed the '13 Premium Soft Top that I bought for my '07 twice. At no time have I used any straps (used top didn't come with any straps).
I just lay the soft top on the Jeep, in the fully extended (closed) position, and attach the brackets to the sport cage. I don't tighten any of the hardware down until all 4 bolts are threaded about half way, to keep things from binding up. Takes all of 5 minutes, using a socket attachment on my cordless drill.
I think you could install the top in the folded (open) position as well, just might have to have a second pair of hands to hold things in place. But I haven't tried this method, as the first one I mentioned works just fine.

AMP
That is what I was thinking about doing as well. Is try taking it off in the UP position. The reason I am asking all these question is because we are planning on going to the 4 wheel drive jamboree in Indy in the middle of Sept and my son likes the way the Jeep looks with the top completely off and so do I. I just want to make sure I can get it off and back on without to much help when we are over there. I am going to try taking it off before we go. And I want it off and out of the way this winter when I get ready to put the hard top back on. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode