Will it fit? JKUR on 16' trailer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Will it fit? JKUR on 16' trailer

Any idea if this will fit? I know it's not ideal but I have access to skid steer trailer but it's only 14' +2' trailer. I'm not too worried about the weight distribution it's a solid trailer truck has bags. Just know it will be tight. But would rather go in the truck for 8 hours than the Jeep. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Rock God

Hard to say. Are you able to access the trailer ahead of time to do a test-fit?

If you know the interior dimensions of the trailer and your Jeep is stock, you could probably hash out whether it'll fit or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I think you will be okay. Like you said it's not ideal, but if it's a solid trailer. I have a 16' that I use to tote my 2dr and never had any issues, but then I only have a 2 door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOL AID MAN View Post
Hard to say. Are you able to access the trailer ahead of time to do a test-fit?

If you know the interior dimensions of the trailer and your Jeep is stock, you could probably hash out whether it'll fit or not.
I'll have access to it 3 days before I go. If it doesn't fit it'll be 5 of us making the journey in the Jeep. Glad I'm the tallest one in the group. Although the Megacab would still be way more ideal.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Rock God

There is plenty of room for a JKU on a 16' trailer.

Ive hauled an extended cab long bed F250 on an 18' trailer and sqeezed 2 CJ 7s onto the same 18' trailer (it took some work).
post #6 of 22 Old 08-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Wheeler

I've got a shitload of extra room in front of my jku on an 18, a 16 should work just fine

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 4 door, long arm, pro rock44, currie 60, atlas, RCVs, coil overs, poison spyder all over. And much more....
post #7 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 AM
Granite Guru

I put my JKU on my 16, it's fine.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #8 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
I put my JKU on my 16, it's fine.
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info. I'll post up picks next week so if anyone else has this questions they won't have to start a new thread.

JP
post #9 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Rock God

I trailered my JKU on a 16' trailer from Texas to Colorado.
It fit without any issues. Longer trailer will allow you to get the tongue weight down better. I trailered up tied down to the bumpers, and had a lot of sway. On the way back, I tied down the axles only, and it towed much better.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yes it will fit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #11 of 22 Old 08-05-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchboy101 View Post
I trailered my JKU on a 16' trailer from Texas to Colorado.
It fit without any issues. Longer trailer will allow you to get the tongue weight down better. I trailered up tied down to the bumpers, and had a lot of sway. On the way back, I tied down the axles only, and it towed much better.
Awesome! I've been debating which way to go. Since it's completely stock the bumpers are a no go. Was thinking either axles or the straps around the tires like you see a lot of car haulers do. Leaning towards axles currently. Did you just use a cross pattern and axle straps?

It's a Big Tex 16' 14CC (14k trailer). You can kind of see the minor dove tail in the picture and it does have the 5' stand up ramps.
Attached Images

post #12 of 22 Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock God

will fit fine, tie down to the axles ALWAYS. Never anchor a vehicle with sprung weight.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #13 of 22 Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
will fit fine, tie down to the axles ALWAYS. Never anchor a vehicle with sprung weight.
This! Tie down to the axles and check them often.

That trailer will be more than enough for your JKU with the springs and axles that are under it. Take a spare tire JIC.

post #14 of 22 Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

I have that trailer in the 10k version

Not the best pic, but here is one with the jk

Not sure if this helps, but this is a better shot with the tj on it.

Tows fine with either rig on it.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #15 of 22 Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I have that trailer in the 10k version

Not the best pic, but here is one with the jk

Not sure if this helps, but this is a better shot with the tj on it.

Tows fine with either rig on it.
Perfect that's exactly what I wanted to see. Now I just need some heavier duty straps and I'll be set.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Attachment 166154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJKU View Post
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info. I'll post up picks next week so if anyone else has this questions they won't have to start a new thread.

JP
As promised
Attached Images

post #17 of 22 Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Granite Guru

looks good, nice dodge as well.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #18 of 22 Old 08-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Rock God

If i were to buy a trailer for a JKU, I'd be buying a minimum of 18-20 footer. The extra length will make towing a much better experience, and typically they don't cost much more. Just my $0.02
post #19 of 22 Old 08-21-2014, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJKU View Post
Any idea if this will fit? I know it's not ideal but I have access to skid steer trailer but it's only 14' +2' trailer. I'm not too worried about the weight distribution it's a solid trailer truck has bags. Just know it will be tight. But would rather go in the truck for 8 hours than the Jeep. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I had one like that, 10k lb rated Top Hat, that I used to haul my built YJ with. Heavy (2,500lbs) even with a wood deck, but I had diesels at the time that handled it fine. Took it to Tahoe & back from Colorado to run the Rubicon, many other trips, never missed a beat. The load sits high on them which annoys some guys. They need very good tires, don't skrimp. Make sure it has good brakes, too. Provided the deck is wide enough a JK will fit just fine. I got the one I had because it was the only trailer I could find locally that was wide enough for the YJ.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Granite Guru

mine hauls an handles very well, no issues with the shorter deck. Great for the purpose.

I also have an enclosed 28' and its a bit of a bear hauling around.

'17 Unlimited
'03 TJ
post #21 of 22 Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
looks good, nice dodge as well.
Thanks! The Megacab is the only way to go with me, the kiddo, wife, and Grandparents. Couldn't imagine the trip in just the Jeep. Would've been strapping people to the roof.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I had one like that, 10k lb rated Top Hat, that I used to haul my built YJ with. Heavy (2,500lbs) even with a wood deck, but I had diesels at the time that handled it fine. Took it to Tahoe & back from Colorado to run the Rubicon, many other trips, never missed a beat. The load sits high on them which annoys some guys. They need very good tires, don't skrimp. Make sure it has good brakes, too. Provided the deck is wide enough a JK will fit just fine. I got the one I had because it was the only trailer I could find locally that was wide enough for the YJ.
Quote:
mine hauls an handles very well, no issues with the shorter deck. Great for the purpose.

I also have an enclosed 28' and its a bit of a bear hauling around.
Yeah to be honest the 16' worked just fine I could see if pulling with a smaller truck you may want to go longer and a lighter trailer (that one is the 14k rated model), but all and all no complaints. Especially since a friend just gave me the trailer to use whenever I want.

Hauling and handling on 16 was pretty nice. Especially once we got to Telluride, could still fit in the public parking area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode