2014 JKU "X" 35 or 37?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2014 JKU "X" 35 or 37??

Hi all! Had to do some rearranging so been gone for awhile........but back in the game...woohoo!!! Getting a new Rubi in a few days...........already had a 2 DR for 5 years and learned alot........so new 4 DR I want to build correct from the beginning.

Biggest question is 35 or 37 tires?? I want to be able to do everything but extreme rock crawler stuff, and do the Rubicon and harder trails in Moab......but reality is my only vehicle, for now, and street use and mileage is a concern.

Based on your experience what do you suggest and what should I weigh into this decision???? When I had my 2 DR said for sure 37's next.........but at the time I had a Titan PU for backup/DD........

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The difference in performance & fuel economy between 35s and 37s is going to be minimal. So it's mainly a personal preference. Visually, the JKU looks more at home on 37s IMHO. Just make sure you gear accordingly. If ever plan to run 37s, then make sure to gear deeper. You didn't mention what trans, but if auto, I'd suggest 4.88's for running 37s. If 35s and no bigger, than stick to 4.56 gearing.

And you don't have to go with a 3.5"+ lift to fit 37s. 2.5" lift and flat flares will get you there just fine. I've run a 2.5" Rock Krawler stock mod lift for almost 3 years on 37s, both as a daily driver and now as a driveway toy and it works just fine. Up until a week ago, I've had cut stock flares on my Jeep. Currently installing a set of Poison Spyder Crusher steel flares. Rears are on; fronts are off and primered, ready for bed liner. Cut the front pinch seam on the rear wheel well, but it's already cut from the factory on all 2013+ models. I still need to cut the rear-most pinch seam on the rear wheel wells, though, because my tires are still getting into them when I have weight in the rear of the Jeep (i.e. passengers).

Long story short....35's or 37's is a personal preference, as performance differences between the two will be minimal on the highway. Additional clearance on the trail does make a difference, though. So it's really up to you.....

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Rock God

I ran 35's for about 5 years and had 4.88s. Seemed to be a great combo. Moved up to 37's and the gearing was not enough for the 37's. MPG dropped about 1.5 mpg. Ran 37's for a year or so then went back down to 35's 3 months ago. Visually the 37's looked much better. But I saw minimal (if any) advantage of 37's over 35's.

For daily driving, I'd go 35's. I heard 4.56's on the 3.6L is a good fit with 35's. I cannot comment as I've only driven the 3.8L with 4.88's.

Good Luck

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

How about 38's? 37's work well with 3.5" of lift and flat fenders, but 38's also fit very well.. It is a viable option.

RK
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
I ran 35's for about 5 years and had 4.88s. Seemed to be a great combo. Moved up to 37's and the gearing was not enough for the 37's. MPG dropped about 1.5 mpg. Ran 37's for a year or so then went back down to 35's 3 months ago. Visually the 37's looked much better. But I saw minimal (if any) advantage of 37's over 35's.

For daily driving, I'd go 35's. I heard 4.56's on the 3.6L is a good fit with 35's. I cannot comment as I've only driven the 3.8L with 4.88's.

Good Luck
What trans? If auto, you didn't gear deep enough with the 3.8L minivan motor. I'm on 5.13s with an auto and it's fine, but it does gear hunt some. Could probably have stood to go with 5.38s but I'm not about to change it out again.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 07-30-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPR View Post
Hi all! Had to do some rearranging so been gone for awhile........but back in the game...woohoo!!! Getting a new Rubi in a few days...........already had a 2 DR for 5 years and learned alot........so new 4 DR I want to build correct from the beginning.

Biggest question is 35 or 37 tires?? I want to be able to do everything but extreme rock crawler stuff, and do the Rubicon and harder trails in Moab......but reality is my only vehicle, for now, and street use and mileage is a concern.

Based on your experience what do you suggest and what should I weigh into this decision???? When I had my 2 DR said for sure 37's next.........but at the time I had a Titan PU for backup/DD........

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.....
You stated you want to do the Rubicon and harder trails in Moab but not rock crawler stuff. Some of those places have crawler trails. I see JK's running with crawlers all the time along with bent front axles on D44's and 37's.

As a daily driver, I just built a 14 Rubicon with 410 gears, 3.5" lift on 35's.
I can do most trails with this setup..along with drive cross country on a road trip. I did this with 37's and mpg's weren't too far off.

I did not re-gear and wreck the factory drivetrain warranty.

A 3.5" lift, can run 37's with flat fenders too.

You can run 37's with the 410's. I did on my '13, but was not optimal.

2016 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode