TeraFlex Tech: Jeep Coils Spring Hype - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

TeraFlex Tech: Jeep Coils Spring Hype

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

i thought i was set on triple rate springs....now i think i want linear springs. for softer ride on the streets and occosional offroading ugh
post #3 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
i thought i was set on triple rate springs....now i think i want linear springs. for softer ride on the streets and occosional offroading ugh
Linear springs do not necessarily have a softer ride. For what it is worth I have had all 4 types of coil springs on mine and out of them all the RK 2.5 triple rate springs I have currently ride the best and this is on a very light 2 door. On a 4 door they must ride even better. They also handle really well almost no body roll. I can take corners with a lot more confidence now.

RK 2.5 Triple Rate Coils, MC control arms, 40" Trail Grapplers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Impressive guys. Nice vid

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

TeraFlex Tech: Jeep Coils Spring Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Linear springs do not necessarily have a softer ride. For what it is worth I have had all 4 types of coil springs on mine and out of them all the RK 2.5 triple rate springs I have currently ride the best and this is on a very light 2 door. On a 4 door they must ride even better. They also handle really well almost no body roll. I can take corners with a lot more confidence now.
X2 depends on their rate.

Remember we talked about this ?
"The kick" or reaction hitting bumps. That's so true with my previous progressive coils. The new multi rate coils do not do this.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Granite Guru

Welcome back, Dennis. Havent seen you or Jen in a while.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Ultimately it boils down to the spring and shock pairing.

801-713-3314
post #8 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Run a adjustable shock

post #9 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Granite Guru

All I know is.....my Jeep made the cut. At the 15:00 minute mark.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Ultimately it boils down to the spring and shock pairing.
so, triple rate springs with fox 2.0 shocks are softer ride compared to linear springs and fox 2.0 shocks?

If i added bilstein 5100 shocks, it would be a rougher/stiffer ride?
post #11 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

"At the risk of setting off every arm chair quarterback and forum troll out there, let's take a look at some of the common spring designs without throwing down a bunch of engineering jargon."

LMAO! I love you Dennis.

post #12 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
so, triple rate springs with fox 2.0 shocks are softer ride compared to linear springs and fox 2.0 shocks?

If i added bilstein 5100 shocks, it would be a rougher/stiffer ride?
It depends on the spring rate of the linear springs. The OEM JK front coils are around 125lbs/in and the OEM rears are around 160-180lbs/in depending on part number. Most aftermarket linear coils are in the 175-225lbs/in range. This is not too far off in the rear but much stiffer than the OEM fronts. IIRC the triple rate fronts ride rate is in the 125-150lbs/in range depending on the weight of the JK and the rears are in the 160-170lbs/in range.

post #13 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

What terminator said, but also remember that the spring rate of the triple rate is a combination of all of the zones just like a dual rate.

801-713-3314
post #14 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Rock God

i wish there would be a spring shoot out, similar to the headlight shoot outs weve seen. or at least, a list of which springs are best for which applications. I know every vendor wants to say they have the softest ride that wont sag, but lets face it. we all build different rigs. I'd love to see which springs are best for 4 doors running a light setup vs which is best for a fully caged and armored 2door.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

That would be so hard. There's so many coils, and people build and have different uses for their jeeps.

post #16 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
That would be so hard. There's so many coils, and people build and have different uses for their jeeps.

well yes but, it could get broken down into a few catagories:

free length, 2 door/4door, ideal weight. Obviously the last bit is kinda hard, but it is also the most important. I mean, the manufacturers should have some idea of what their springs are for, so itd be nice if they told us!
post #17 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

There in lies the problem. "Sag" is a result of adding weight to a coil spring all springs will compress more as you add weight. A great riding spring with little weight will often compress more with more weight added since the spring rate isn't as high. Increase the spring rate to handle weight and the unloaded ride will suffer. This is why we have released our Outback springs for the JK they have an increased spring rate over our standard JK springs so you can choose which will fit your application.

801-713-3314
post #18 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Good to know .. Is that a option with all kits ?

post #19 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah I didn't know tera made different spring types. Is this new? Number one complaint I see with TF is sag over time, maybe its just an issue of the user got the wrong coils
post #20 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

They are new and at this time we only offer them as a 3" kit. As mentioned a spring actually sagging on their own is very rare, typically what happens is we add more stuff to our Jeeps, and the spring rate needs to be heavier to compensate for that load, or use a spring spacer to bring it back to the desired height. But to keep this on topic as the video showed all spring types have this same "issue" doesn't matter if it's linear, progressive or triple whammy whiz pop.

801-713-3314
post #21 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
They are new and at this time we only offer them as a 3" kit. As mentioned a spring actually sagging on their own is very rare, typically what happens is we add more stuff to our Jeeps, and the spring rate needs to be heavier to compensate for that load, or use a spring spacer to bring it back to the desired height. But to keep this on topic as the video showed all spring types have this same "issue" doesn't matter if it's linear, progressive or triple whammy whiz pop.
I think thats why it would be helpful if people knew what loads the springs were designed for
post #22 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
It seems that, generally speaking, progressive, dual and triple rate (multi-rate) coils seem to resist sagging under loads a little better because they do tend to get stiffer the further you compress them whereas linear springs are the same rate throughout the entire cycle. Depends on the spring rate of the linear springs though vs the rates of the multi rate springs. The solid height of multirate and progressive coils is normally a non issue unless running very small tires and flat flares, stock bumpstops, but how many out there are on stock bumpstops front and rear? or very short shocks (14.5-15" collapsed) because on most rigs either the tires or the shocks are the first area of interference not the coils going solid. Also the multi rate and preogressive coils often have greater free length vs a linear which means more useable sprung downtravel is possible if desired.

Last edited by Terminator2; 07-31-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Rock God

If only the spring MFGs would simply list the spring rates of their products...

Telling me it's a 4" spring lift doesn't tell me anything other than the MFG thinks their spring will sit 4" taller than the stock spring when installed.

A few MFGs understand the importance spring rate info has for the educated consumer. I didn't/wouldn't consider anyone's springs that can't/won't provide that info.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
It seems that, generally speaking, progressive, dual and triple rate (multi-rate) coils seem to resist sagging under loads a little better because they do tend to get stiffer the further you compress them whereas linear springs are the same rate throughout the entire cycle. Depends on the spring rate of the linear springs though vs the rates of the multi rate springs. The solid height of multirate and progressive coils is normally a non issue unless running very small tires and flat flares, stock bumpstops, but how many out there are on stock bumpstops front and rear? or very short shocks (14.5-15" collapsed) because on most rigs either the tires or the shocks are the first area of interference not the coils going solid. Also the multi rate and preogressive coils often have greater free length vs a linear which means more useable sprung downtravel is possible if desired.
With the exception that dual rates the first rate stacks and isn't applicable and progressive is a rating that is a combination of the multiple rates, as mentioned in the videos. I understand what you are suggesting but unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way until you get into the stiffest part of the spring and in typical wheeling and everyday driving you do not use that siffest of sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
If only the spring MFGs would simply list the spring rates of their products...

Telling me it's a 4" spring lift doesn't tell me anything other than the MFG thinks their spring will sit 4" taller than the stock spring when installed.

A few MFGs understand the importance spring rate info has for the educated consumer. I didn't/wouldn't consider anyone's springs that can't/won't provide that info.
Funfred you make a good point. We have all of our spring rate info and will suggest adding it to the catalog.

801-713-3314
post #25 of 29 Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM

In the ATV/Dirt bike markets when ordering springs and shocks the manufacturers typically ask for rider weight with gear and riding style and choose the spring rates and shock valving accordingly. I have always wondered why the same method has not been taken up by the off road truck market. I think it would ultimately result in more happy customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode