Bumper w/Fog Holes - Light Leakage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bumper w/Fog Holes - Light Leakage

It's hard to put this into words, which I guess is why it's hard to find an answer when searching. I'm ready to get a front bumper and I'm down to a couple choices. The Poison Spyder Brawler Lite is one choice and I see that their fog light holes have tubes welded onto the back of the holes so the lights will flush mount onto the rear end of the tube. Theoretically, this will ensure all of the light exits the front of the hole instead of lighting up the back of the bumper.

Many bumpers simply add mount tabs behind the simple fog holes cut into the the front face of the bumper. Given most angular edges of bumpers, usually some parts of the light's circumference will sit fairly flush, while other parts will have a gap between the light and the bumper. Theoretically you might lose light out front and instead light up the area behind/under the bumper.

Is this a common issue? If so, how big of a deal is this? For comparison, the JCR Dagger Stubby would be another choice (and it doesn't have the mounting tubes).

Any reason to be concerned about this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well crap! I guess I think about things a bit differently than most!

Hopefully this means that light loss in bumpers with recessed lights and only tab mounts isn't an issue.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Hmmmm ah yeah, light leakage huh?
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Kinda sums me up I'd say! Well, I am an engineer after all.

But, after I thought about the possible issue, I did see that Poison Spyder addresses the concern on their site in their "design advantages" descriptions pertaining to that bumper . They note that this is why they added the tubes behind their fog light holes. So I can't be the first to think about this. Hmmmmm....
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

JK fog lights aren't effective enough for this to be a concern. I have the Dagger and hasn't been an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
JK fog lights aren't effective enough for this to be a concern. I have the Dagger and hasn't been an issue.
This is true, and then there's the fog light liquid level sensor problem that Jeep never fixed. At 35% liquid level the light back scatter refraction worsened which had an extreme adverse effect on the forward light progression angle and lessened the lumen intensity by 28%. The industry standard 37-1/2 degree bevel on the tube backside helped somewhat.

Quote:

Last edited by RubiCajun; 07-31-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
This is true, and then there's the fog light liquid level sensor problem that Jeep never fixed.
I keep a bottle of that fluid in my recovery bag next to the metric crescent wrench and the rotocoupler torque multiplier gauge.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
I keep a bottle of that fluid in my recovery bag next to the metric crescent wrench and the rotocoupler torque multiplier gauge.
I keep a bottle as well, but it is the recently released medical grade which has been improved in clarity by the addition of common housefly eye liquid.

Quote:
post #9 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

- Does the JK need DOT 3 or DOT 4?
- Can I get it on Amazon?
- And if so, is it too heavy for drone delivery?
post #10 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

*DOT9 is required, pssshh DOT4 is so 2010!
*Amazon, doesn't but SouthAfrica.com does, you'll be receiving an e-mail shortly with instructions on where to send the money to get it along with how to get the estate money you are entitled to from a gentleman you've never met. Check your spam mail inbox.
*Drone delivery is only available in certain Middle Eastern countries at this time.

Quote:
post #11 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Honestly... I had the Brawler Lite with Fogs, pretty much no difference from the stock fog lights as faar as output even thoughh they are a little more recessed

I then swapped t a BFH and scrapped the fog lights, although once in a great while I will wish that I had some fogs mounted at bumper height I can count one one hand in two years where I said I wish I had some.

go with what bumer design is most appealing to you, and disregard and details regarding light leakage... pick the best bumper that has fog lights and be done with it

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #12 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Ok Jerry, try this. Comes from a mustang forum, might give you an idea. Being that I'm married to an engineer turned wildlife biologist, I understand your angst. He turned his lightubes into coldair supply... DIY or a Rough Country hybrid bumper...a little over $300.
Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by RubiCajun; 07-31-2014 at 06:53 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Kinda sums me up I'd say! Well, I am an engineer after all.

But, after I thought about the possible issue, I did see that Poison Spyder addresses the concern on their site in their "design advantages" descriptions pertaining to that bumper . They note that this is why they added the tubes behind their fog light holes. So I can't be the first to think about this. Hmmmmm....
Jerry, see if this calms your sleepless nights:

The light "leaking" was exiting the lamp housing at a near-useless angle, and probably would have ended up at a location and angle that did you no good if it had not leaked into your bumper (perhaps causing death wobble).

If you made a containment tube out of super-shiny unobtanium, the light exiting the lamp housing at a near-useless angle would bounce once or twice off said super-shiny unobtanium tube with zero light loss and probably still end up at a location and angle that does you no good.

While the light is now outside the bumper, there's a good chance you gain nothing from herding it through the gate if it's just gonna' sit in a corner of the pasture and lick its balls.

Quote:
Being that I'm married to an engineer turned wildlife biologist, I understand your angst. He turned his lightubes into coldair supply...
You're married to an engineer turned wildlife biologist, and he did this?

. . . I learn something new every day here
Not judging you - you geaux, girl!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #14 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
He turned his lightubes into coldair supply...
And with this quote, all I could think of to bring this thread full circle was:

Air Supply - All Out Of Love - YouTube

I love you, Jerry! I love you Al Baby! I love you, Wrench... Oh God... Now I'M all out of love!!!!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #15 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Typical fuckin' bullshit, nobody loves me as usual...

Quote:
post #16 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Typical fuckin' bullshit, nobody loves me as usual...
We'll always have this:

Weirdest Video You Will EVER See - YouTube

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #17 of 19 Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Jerry, see if this calms your sleepless nights:

The light "leaking" was exiting the lamp housing at a near-useless angle, and probably would have ended up at a location and angle that did you no good if it had not leaked into your bumper (perhaps causing death wobble).

If you made a containment tube out of super-shiny unobtanium, the light exiting the lamp housing at a near-useless angle would bounce once or twice off said super-shiny unobtanium tube with zero light loss and probably still end up at a location and angle that does you no good.

While the light is now outside the bumper, there's a good chance you gain nothing from herding it through the gate if it's just gonna' sit in a corner of the pasture and lick its balls.

You're married to an engineer turned wildlife biologist, and he did this?

. . . I learn something new every day here
Not judging you - you geaux, girl!
Sig worthy except too long lol.

RK 2.5 Triple Rate Coils, MC control arms, 40" Trail Grapplers.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Can the light leakage be transformed into rock lights ? Is the liquid from Colorado ?
post #19 of 19 Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

OMG, well I guess it's out now and there's nothing I can say but yes......that's not a dick I have but a very large clit. Now if you don't mind I have some "Heauxin'" to go do. See if I can find some crybaby's.

Quote:

Last edited by RubiCajun; 08-02-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode