LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear Diff

Has anybody seen this?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-189...emi-float.html

It looks pretty beefy.

Does the rear Dana 44 have the same 3.5" Tubes 1/2" Wall?

Edit* I see it uses Factory Housing Ends to allow use of stock brakes. So the only benefit is the 9.75 Ring gear besides the 35 spline shafts, but then you can put those in a Rubi 44 axle housing with an ARB locker...

So, is this really worth it?

Last edited by Pharmguy75; 07-29-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

stock JK rear D44? NO, it does not have 3.5" tubes

There is big difference in strength between a D44 8.5" ring gear and a D60 9.75". Especially if you are using lower 5.38 gears. The 60 has bigger axle tubes with a thicker wall

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 07-29-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

There is a guy on JKFreaks that has one I believe.
Nice upgrade over a 44 but its a semi float so not a great upgrade for a heavy JKU.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmguy75 View Post
Has anybody seen this?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-189...emi-float.html

It looks pretty beefy.

Does the rear Dana 44 have the same 3.5" Tubes 1/2" Wall?

Edit* I see it uses Factory Housing Ends to allow use of stock brakes. So the only benefit is the 9.75 Ring gear besides the 35 spline shafts, but then you can put those in a Rubi 44 axle housing with an ARB locker...

So, is this really worth it?
Gotta agree with Dirtman. If you're at the stage where you really need a 60+, semi float isn't much help. Seems they're using the JK size bearings & brakes, etc., so you're really not much stronger than going ARB & 35 spline on the JK44.

FWIW, an opinion I got from TnT Customs, if your JK is under 6000 lbs and running no more than 37s there's no practical benefit to a D60 swap. My experience with my previous rig revealed some negatives. It was a YJ which in late 2000 I installed a Dynatrac D44/D60 combination. These were done before Dynatrac offered their Pro Rock series. They were based upon OEM center sections, so they were probably a bit heavier than what you can get now. Although the axles were infinitely stronger than the D30/D35 twigs they replaced, their increased weight and drag really impacted on-road performance. Something to consider on a dual-use JK, particularly a 4dr. You can probably beef up the rear D44 with gussets & ARB/35 enough to get you by.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 08-03-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

Great advice from SoK66. That is the route I took and have not broken it yet. You do not hear about rear rubi housings failing like the D44 fronts. Drop in a ARB air locker and upgrade the axels. If you are going full rock crawler than make the move but go all the way to full float
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode