Let's see your grill mesh.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Let's see your grill mesh....

I knew this was going to happen, but did I listen to myself? Of course not. Long ago I told myself to install some mesh behind the grill, but NO. Took the Short Bus into town with rain threatening. On the way back it went from threatening to Noah's flood, which turned into a pea-size hail monsoon. Got it home & into the garage. No body or glass damage, but the hail knocked the shit out of my new Mopar trans cooler's fins and the exposed ones on A/C condenser. No ATF leaks I can see and A/C performance appears to be fine. "Grille mesh" is right there on the wish list...at the bottom...behind a tailgate table...

So, ok, who sells the best behind the grill mesh?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 07-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:Let's see your grill mesh....

re: Who sells the best grill mesh for a JK?
Home Depot ...

<< http://tinyurl.com/qgatvsu >> + <<
http://tinyurl.com/p9u8srb>> + <<
http://preview.tinyurl.com/pvc2xy3>> + some cable ties = done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

^^ Yep. Most of the stuff on the market is way too damn expensive. Rain gutter stuff from home depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Granite Guru

Gutter guards, sticky tabs and zipties, all from Lowe's
post #5 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Granite Guru

Ebay - Chinese 3D style insert...free postage, and heaps cheaper than the name brands.
required a little bit of grinding around the edges to fit properly, and the 3D pressed shape is a touch off.....but not enough to really notice.
It'll stop rocks, which was my main reason for buying it.

post #6 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

OK, been thinking about this myself. The gutter guard idea makes a lot of sense. Is that stuff metal or plastic?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 AM
Granite Guru

metal. I cut mine down with tin snips then painted.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the tips everyone, giving me some ideas.

A question for you Gutter Guard guys, is the plastic gutter guard stuff available in widths wide enough to do just one piece, rather than seven narrow ones?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I don't think the plastic stuff would do as good of a job of stopping rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

I don't know about the plastic stuff. I guess if you find the right size and a pattern you like you could use anything. I picked the metal. I used 7 pieces for the slats and basically 1 piece for the skid
post #11 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

i used diamond lath and bedliner. works great. did 3 jeeps for 20 bucks.
comes in a 4x8 sheet. cant post pictures from work computer , but looks natural also.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Wheeler

I need to get this done. I have always wondered about the large grill openings! Better safe then sorry.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Someone say grill pictures?
Attached Images

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #14 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

Single piece of aluminum mesh. About $20 from a metal shop. Cut and bent it to shape. Attached to radiator, not grill. More functional and durable than plastic mesh.
This is three years old.
Attached Images

Unspoilt by progress.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone, giving me some ideas.

A question for you Gutter Guard guys, is the plastic gutter guard stuff available in widths wide enough to do just one piece, rather than seven narrow ones?
see , I am sure you guys all relate, but I have weighed the same buck-fifty /buck-fifty-five since 10th grade and I am in my forties; I mention this because I had NEVER considered weight nor anything re: "saving" weight - I'm not unlike an OCD ,point-of-heaviness-seeking monster - until I bought my JK. Yes, we are talking a matter of ounces in weight between plstic and tin/aluminum gutter guard but I went with the plastic you see in that post up there. I have, literally, hit a blue-jay at 45mph and had feathers (purdy blue ones!*) lodged into that stuff as well as rocks, mud, grain from cattle trucks, more rocks, cig butts from arseholes in front of me and my 8 year-olds 12/6 curveball all smash into my plastic grill inserts. I even poked them with a 17mm box wrench after all that 'cause I was shocked at the way GORILLA GLUE EPOXY will , simply, hold freaking anything. The cable tie 1"x1" mounts that we are talking about? they have adhesive on back; fit perfect between the grill slats ( there are several detailed write-ups on here and 'elsewhere' ) and if you are wise, ya already know not to buy any cable-ties that arent advertising the weight load they can bear on the packaging ( UV safe & mil-Spec only) so....slap the strips ya cut down , cabletie-lashed to the mounts and before you smoosh the little bungs or whatever they're called , smack a dollop of epoxy between the grill and the tab mount and then let it dry for a few hours in the sun. It wont ever go ANYWHERE....I imagine these plastic rain gutter guards that weigh ever so little less than the metal ones will outlast my scrawny behind on this earth.....unless we fall into the Sun and melt....I'd say it's a personal preference but I will always go with lighter stuff like everything else on my JK pig....aluminum-nom-nom-nom.......cause that's just how I roll.....

wow, i said that, didnt I?
heh.
so, to answer; get whichever, just mount it right and fahgitabbahdit....

(* I love animals. I begged the dude to not smash into my grill as it occured but it seems Deer, rabbits, opossums, armadillo, squirrels and other small critters like to smash into my winch or my Jeep ....for the PETA folks, I saved the feather and made sure the Jay was dead and not in misery when I stopped and peeled it off the 35" ,10 ply cooper STT it wound up stuck to after it fell from the grill.... see? I am nice to animals!)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-29-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 AM

here's how i mounted mine. followed up with final look.
Attached Images

post #17 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: Let's see your grill mesh....

shweet; love the orange. Nice job!

post #18 of 19 Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok, I settled this last week by swallowing hard and ponying up stupid money for a T-Rex 3D billet mesh from Q-Tec. I didn't want to hassle with home-built stuff cuz time is tight and I'd probably butt-boy the install anyway. (Patience is not a skill set around here.) So, ordered the thing and got it like two days later. Impressive materials, quality built, pretty simple install. Lower outer mounting tabs didn't line up as they said, so I just found some smaller speed nuts in my nut & bolt bins and put them on the outside of the grill mount tabs. The stuff is very stiff, which made the grill a bit more dificult to snap back into place but not a curse-inducer. Nice finished product. The 3D feature fit the grill slots perfectly, and the mesh is tight along the entire length of the plastic grill.

So, now that the horse is out of the barn and my trans cooler fins are all bollocked with nicks I feel so mch better....although my fellow club members will never let me live this down....

Thanks for the tips all!

post #19 of 19 Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 AM
zin
Wheeler

Has anyone done a write up on there install. I like the looks of the "home made" ones but I'm not sure where to mount to. Of corse I've never popes the grill and once I do it may be self explanatory

2014 JKUR 6 speed, grab handels, trunk. JCR full with bumper, warn zeon 10-s on its way. More to come as the wife lets me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode