37s now....what to do next? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

37s now....what to do next?

I have a 2011 2 door 6 speed 4.56 gear D30 sleeves and gussets with synergy steering components. But i still have factory axle shafts. Right now I have trail grappler 35s. I will be installing 37x13.50 cooper discoverer stt tomorrow. Probably not the smartest decision. But who doesn't want 37! Now I'm trying to figure out what would be the best move next.

I'm trying to avoid re-gearing again so I was thinking of putting my Jeep on a diet and looking at replacing my Ace bumpers for Poison Spyder BFH front and rear with a TF hinged mount. That would shave around 160lbs.

Or I was thinking about replacing my shaft with RCV. But I was think if I do rcv that would make my R&P my weak link. I'm thinking it's cheaper to replace u joints vs R&P.

I only wheel about 6-8 times a year mostly in Indiana on trails with a few rock gardens. I tend to wheel pretty slow and methodical. If I don't feel comfortable I don't push it.

Is anyone running a D30 with RCV and open diffs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15

Last edited by orestespd5; 07-28-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Well if you like steering, I'd suggest hydro assist. Just my .02.

07 Unlimited Rubicon Rescue Green
37 IROKS, 5.38 Gears, 6Spd, 3.5" lift Poison Spyder front bumper, 8k XRC winch, Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper, Poison Spyder fender flares, Rigid Fog lights, Superchips tuner, Hydro assist, HID projector headlights, HD/custom tie rod & drag link, sound system, custom tree damage.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Granite Guru

Do they make RCV in 27 spline for the front? I did an e-locker for 30 spline axles and upgraded to 30 spline chromies axles. Seemed to be the better upgrade for the money. Also got my ring and pinion cryo treated for $100. Suppose to make it up to 50% stronger if stronger is the right word.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited. Auto. Mods: 3.5 RK Max Travel Kit, RK tie rod. 35" Nitto Trail Grappers. Eaton 4 Pinion E-Lockers front and rear. Nitro 30 spline chrome moly front axles. Yukon 5.13 gears/Cyrotreated. Sleeved and gusseted front axle. Dynatrac ball joints. Mopar big brake kit, Advance Adaptors 4wd shift linkage, Tom Woods front and rear driveshaft. Ace Rock Sliders. Terra Flex hinged tire carrier, Carolina Metal Masters grab bars. Exp One Frt Bumper. Warn Zeon 12 Winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wouldn't invest much in the D30, especially not RCV's.

If your front is not locked I think I would start with chromo axle shafts in the rear and then do regular chromo front shafts.

Have you done C gussets?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

There is nothing wrong w/putting a good selectable locker (arb/yukon zip) in a d30, for mild to moderate trails In a JK thats going to be wheeled 8-10 times a year. Lockers kick ass.

Fuck the RCVs. Get stock trail spares and put a locker in it

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series

Last edited by rdlynch2; 07-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestespd5 View Post
I have a 2011 2 door 6 speed 4.56 gear D30 sleeves and gussets with synergy steering components. But i still have factory axle shafts. Right now I have trail grappler 35s. I will be installing 37x13.50 cooper discoverer stt tomorrow. Probably not the smartest decision. But who doesn't want 37! Now I'm trying to figure out what would be the best move next.

I'm trying to avoid re-gearing again so I was thinking of putting my Jeep on a diet and looking at replacing my Ace bumpers for Poison Spyder BFH front and rear with a TF hinged mount. That would shave around 160lbs.

Or I was thinking about replacing my shaft with RCV. But I was think if I do rcv that would make my R&P my weak link. I'm thinking it's cheaper to replace u joints vs R&P.

I only wheel about 6-8 times a year mostly in Indiana on trails with a few rock gardens. I tend to wheel pretty slow and methodical. If I don't feel comfortable I don't push it.

Is anyone running a D30 with RCV and open diffs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You're gonna be a Cooper convert for life; a little secret that still befuddles me is how the STT is , seemingly, the best darn tire for an all - around , DD/weekend warrior on a JK I have run or encountered ( I cant speak for the new Falken MT that I am seriously interested in but I talked to them and only 17" wheel sizes first prod run the first of 2015 and then maybe different sizes for 15/16/18s whatever) and I have beat the living snot out of my 35x12.50x16s . I will admit they weigh a little, your 37" will be actually 36.48" and weigh 84-86 lbs....but they take a beat down , balance with little weight cause they be round, and are able to run really well and wear even if you keep them between 28-31PSI on pavement and I run them between 12 and 15 on rocks without Beadlocks.....they conform like jelly on rocks after ya break them in......love me some Coops.....

I am interested in your experience as I will be moving up to the 37" STT in about 4-5 months on my JKU and will maintain the present Ected Max in the rear 44 together w/ my open D30 [builtup] on front with gussets and sleeves.....I wheel very hard and also daily drive but am very very wise about the approaches and lines and have not bent my D30 [yet] with 35" STT....I have been on several trails that if I had just had a slightly larger tire I would not have rubbed the skids on so I will move up.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-28-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: <forgot somethin>
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

4.88 would have been a better option but 4.56 in a 6 speed should push those 37's just fine. theres guys running 37-40 in tjs on stock gears with the manual. its all about how you drive. my rig is a DD, 4.88 gears, same motor as you, open front locked rear, jcr daggar front, but no sleves (id rather blow a shaft than my spider gears. lol, blow a shaft....) granted i run 33's and its super easy to push those but ill be at 37 before i hit 100K. id give it a try, definitly loose the unneeded bulky ace and go lighter, that should help a little but you should have no issues with that 6 speed ad being able to control the tranny. worse case scenario you regear higher but i doubt youll need to
post #8 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI JeepSkate View Post

open front locked rear, jcr daggar front, but no sleves (id rather blow a shaft than my spider gears. lol, blow a shaft....)

What do sleeves have to do with spider gears?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoub View Post
Well if you like steering, I'd suggest hydro assist. Just my .02.
This, it's next on my short list. It'll happen this winter when it stops being too shitty to work outside.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI JeepSkate View Post
4.88 would have been a better option but 4.56 in a 6 speed should push those 37's just fine.
I geared to 4.56 when I had 33 or 35s. I think going to 4.88 would be a waste of money and 5.13 I think would be to much so this is why i put "MRSTRSS" on a diet. I sold my ace front and rear bumper today and ordered a Poison spyder brawler lite and and BFH rear with TF hinged carrier. This should have about 160 lbs. And as far as the RVC i thought about and im just going to grab a few u joint and throw in my trail bag and put up a set of stock shafts.

Hopefully this will get by till i can build up a somthing else.

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

post #11 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Hold it, cowboy, let me save you the grief that's coming. Waste no more money on that D30. Just bite the bullet and order a Pro Rock 44 or Teraflex 44 with RCVs & ARB and get on with it.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

If I had the money i would of already ordered a prorock or a teraflex. But wheeling is Indiana is not the same as out west. Mostly trails with dirt and only a few rocks. There are alot of people around here who wheel D30 sleeves and gussets with 37 with little trouble. Heck there is even a few that run 40s and beadlocks.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: 37s now....what to do next?

whadya wind-up doin?

post #14 of 14 Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Rock God

Granted I'm running the 3.8L, and have locked D44's on 37's....but...
I agree about wanting the axle shaft to be the weak link instead of the R&P. Much easier to pull the axle shaft than to deal with a broken R&P.

Definitely sleeve and gusset the front axle.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode