4Wheel Drive & Sport Utlity Closing Down - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

4Wheel Drive & Sport Utlity Closing Down

Read the editors comments in this latest 4WD&SU and you'll learn the moron publishers who fired Phill Howell as editor are now closing the mag down. Apparently 4WD&SU-type articles will now be found in Four Wheeler. So, you'll be able to find your JK-specific stuff in between installs of F250 & Dodge Ram stripe kits & bedliners. Publisher really has a handle on the JK world....said no one ever.

BTW, many thanks to Phil Howell for the great work he did with the magazine over the years.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

That's why I read petersons and JP magazine, and I need to get a subscription to Crawl Mag. More tech and I feel less glam.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Almost all of those mags are published by Source Interlink Media, including FourWheeler and JP. They did a huge shift up and they are apparently not done. FourWheeler has Fred Williams as the Editor, which is cool cause he seems fairly normal, but still it's a shame they are shutting down 4wdSU.

I found Crawl really enjoyable to read at first, but they kinda migrated towards race coverage, and then it seems like they are doing race coverage exclusively. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm looking for more trail stuff that I can identify with.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

I don't really read those magazines, but I did meet Ali Mansour who was/is an Editor & Brand Manager 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine. I thought he was a pretty cool guy and he seemed to know his stuff.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I will just stick to JP magazine until they change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I will just stick to JP magazine until they change.

JP is changing. They lost Cappa, then he got canned from the other place. They lost Hazel, he's still somewhere and now Pete Trasborg is the editor. Plus, Dr. Vern, after this issue, is gone. Which kinda sucks. They don't really have many staff members now, everyone is just going to be a contributing writer.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post

BTW, many thanks to Phil Howell for the great work he did with the magazine over the years.
X2... One of the nicest and most professional guys I've dealt with in my years of off-roading and Jeeps. Phil is one of the truly good guys in the sport/ industry. Thank you to Phil Howell for all his help and expertise.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
That's why I read petersons and JP magazine, and I need to get a subscription to Crawl Mag. More tech and I feel less glam.
Winner Winner Chicken Diner!

RK
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Winner Winner Chicken Diner!

RK
X2!

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Wel, yeah, for years I've subscriped to Petersen's, 4WD&SU & JP. Just a shame to lose the latter, as Phil put a unique spin on things and had trail reports you couldn't find elsewhere.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Wheeler

Just got my issue saying it's the last one. This sucks as it was my last off-road mag I subscribed to. I even won a Geostash in '09. Oh well, I'll just have to rely more on ADVrider for trip ideas and Jeep forums for mod ideas.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Granite Guru

Got back in town and my last issue was here as well. Im gonna miss the trail reports with the gps coordinates and the mainly Jeep specific articles.

I want to know what is happening to the remainder of my subscription? Are we getting four wheeler in 4wdsu's place to finish out our paid for subscription.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

I subscribed for a year to the digital version of this mag and received the first months but none after that. I sent several messages to them and never got the first reply! I guess they had lots of problems!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #14 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 AM
Granite Guru

Source Interlink Media - apparently now called "TEN - The Enthusiast Network"...these are the same asshats that ride in, buy up magazines then shut them down and amalgamate the subject matter into one POS mag that covers nothing except mainstream stuff. They killed a number of Pontiac specific magazines and offer no refunds to subscribers, instead switching them to other magazines whether they like it or not.
I ended up throwing 6 months of subscriptions in the rubbish because as a Pontiac owner, I wan't interested in reading about 5 lt Mustang stripe kits......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode