Rear Helper Spring solution? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rear Helper Spring solution?

2013 JKU.

With the Gobi rack, Roof top tent, bikes, full tank of gas and minimal gear in the back, ye olde Jeep is riding a little low in the stern.

Looking for something that will take more weight, but not eff up the ride too much, as it's my daily.

Not opposed to air springs or something like that. Anyone have any good personal experience, or recommendations?

Payload is what, 1100 pounds?

2 Passengers: 325lbs
Gobi rack: 150lbs or so
RTT: 120
Rubicon Rails: 60+lbs
Two Bikes: 50 pounds
Cooler: 30 pounds
Clothing/Shit: 20 pounds.
Steel wheel/33" spare tire-30 pounds more than stock?

Well over half capacity!

Last edited by palmer; 07-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Random Dude

Need a little more idea of what you're looking to accomplish.
Do you want to have quick adjustability (like air bags), some adjustability (like ACOS), or a fixed ride height adjustment?

If you're unlifted, not looking for adjustability, and happy with the ride now (except for droopy ass syndrome), I'd consider thicker coil isolators or spring spacers.
This is super inexpensive, relatively easy, and reliable due to cave-man simplicity.

If you're OK with a minimum of 2" of lift in the rear and looking for an adjustable option, JKS ACOS could be a solution.
This is relatively inexpensive, pretty easy, and reliable, but not super-quick to adjust (maybe half an hour for both rear corners if you're fast).

If you want/need immediate adjustability, you're pretty much looking at air bags, air shocks, or hydraulics . . .
. . . but I wouldn't begin to suggest any of these options (except maybe in Chit Chat )

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Need a little more idea of what you're looking to accomplish.
Do you want to have quick adjustability (like air bags), some adjustability (like ACOS), or a fixed ride height adjustment?

If you're unlifted, not looking for adjustability, and happy with the ride now (except for droopy ass syndrome), I'd consider thicker coil isolators or spring spacers.
This is super inexpensive, relatively easy, and reliable due to cave-man simplicity.

If you're OK with a minimum of 2" of lift in the rear and looking for an adjustable option, JKS ACOS could be a solution.
This is relatively inexpensive, pretty easy, and reliable, but not super-quick to adjust (maybe half an hour for both rear corners if you're fast).

If you want/need immediate adjustability, you're pretty much looking at air bags, air shocks, or hydraulics . . .
. . . but I wouldn't begin to suggest any of these options (except maybe in Chit Chat )

Basically, I just want it to ride at or near factory height when it's loaded up in back.

The only suspension "mod" is a front leveling kit.

Do these things actually do anything? Seems like pretty much what I'm looking for...although it seems like I should get my flamesuit out.

Last edited by palmer; 07-27-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Rock God

I would throw a set of Synergy 1" coils on it front and rear and then fine tune with spacers if needed to level it front to back.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer View Post
Basically, I just want it to ride at or near factory height when it's loaded up in back.

The only suspension "mod" is a front leveling kit.
The question remains: do you want it to also sit level when unloaded?
If not, huck a spacer or lift spring in (or lose the leveling kit) and call it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer View Post
Do these things actually do anything? Seems like pretty much what I'm looking for...although it seems like I should get my flamesuit out.
Those work great for what they are, which is basically a poly balloon that lives inside the coil springs.
I had them in the back of an '87 Mercury Grand Marquis (= Crown Vic / taxi cab / cop car) that I used for towing. Perfect results.
However, I never wheeled that car (occasionally jumped it but it was a nose-diving bitch on landings )

I would avoid fookin' around with the air helpers in the back of a Jeep if you wheel. You will waste those bags within a few trips.
If you do go this route, please take pics and share your short- and long-term results with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
I would throw a set of Synergy 1" coils on it front and rear and then fine tune with spacers if needed to level it front to back.
This ^^^ is excellent advise. Keep it simple, and it's something you'll only have to think about once.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

It is a step up I terms of both lift and expense, but the AEV 2.5" kit will get you heavier springs, and better shocks, that are designed for the heavier loads encountered in an expedition type application. Should be right up your alley.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the info guys!

I would love an AEV kit, maybe I'll use the bags as a stop-gap until I save the dough.

The synergy springs are a solid option as well, I'll dig into those as well. The price sure is right.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Rock God

What about a small offroad style trailer? U could ditch the roof rack and load all your stuff into said small trailer and have plenty of room in the jeep for kids, dogs, etc.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

i like my airlift 1000 bags... got 'em @ autoanything.com for < $100 IIRC, but don't see them there anymore. i think they are firestone brand now???

they go INSIDE the coil spring. works best to air them up before loading down. then adjust if necessary.

drives much better non-squatted

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode