Real world towing limits? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Real world towing limits?

Evening folks, just curious on how much yall have actually muscled with yall's JK. I'm pretty sure the manual puts the maximum at 2000lbs for a 2-door and 3000lbs for the 4-door but what have yall put them through? The reason I'm asking is because this happened earlier...

In short, my mighty 2-door got stuck dragging around the biggest load of square bales (240) earlier today and with each weighing in at about 60lbs, that's 14,400lbs+the weight of the 2 trailers equaling out to we'll over 8 times the manufacturers max. But then again these are just wagons that roll easy and hell, all I had to do is drop it in 4lo and it'd idle at about 1mph.

So pretty much, what's the stupidly oversized stuff yall have managed to wag around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Wheeler

I towed a 25 ft enclosed trailer with my four door. not very far but still did it. guessing around 4000

2007 JKU auto 2" budget boost (temporary) 15x8.5 MB TKO wrapped in 35 KM2
SEMPER FI
post #3 of 26 Old 07-27-2014, 02:03 AM
Rock God

Theres a guy who lives near me who regularly tows a decent size bass boat to and from the lake with his jku. Bass boat prob weighs 4-5k lbs. Ours weighs over 6 (prob more like 7) with all our crap plus fuel in it.

With my 2 door I recently towed a 10 foot uhaul with a bunch of my tools and crap from az to cali and It did just fine. Id imagine I was a little over 2k

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Two bicycles on a carrier is max for my JK. Not the best tow vehicle.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

Towed my now sold pop up all the time. Loaded weight probably in the 2500lb neighborhood. No sway issues and climbs the mountains of wv just fine. My next pop up will be a bit heavier and be closer to 32-3400 loaded. Still under my max rating of 3500. The same engine in the ram is rated for somewhere over 7000 so I don't think power is an issue. My biggest problem is finding a good balance for tongue weight, these pop ups tend to be nose heavy and it squats the back end down a bit.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by family4x4 View Post
My biggest problem is finding a good balance for tongue weight, these pop ups tend to be nose heavy and it squats the back end down a bit.
Get a weight distributing hitch. It'll level it right out.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Get a weight distributing hitch. It'll level it right out.
That would be great if I could but most pop ups won't accept wdh. I'm leaning towards air bags if my new camper doesn't.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:Real world towing limits?

Um, Second month after I got it ( this is an older image of my Jeep) I was asked to tow a washer/dryer, leather sofa , three room sized oriental wool rugs and a table and chairs ( approximately 1100 lbs I came to discover later) ACROSS NASHVILLE from North to West approx 30 miles and the freaking UHaul dudes were staring out the window ( I am sure placing bets about me coming back) at my connected rental of the 3500lb sized trailer. Yeah, I knew the weight was my max tow with 4.10s ( I got a rare '11 sahara w/ factory ordered gearing and heavy tow setup) but my Mom and Dad figured I would be pulling about 400lbs. This is an AUTOMATIC JKU. With the 3.8. Needless to say, once I turned in the trailer ( yeah, I made it ) I ordered a fan equipped aux tranny cooler that evening after I read about tow limits.
It is funny to see how the JK looks like it would fit in the trailer.

<BTW, Raider14 ; I guess it don't rain much there where you are cause I would hate to think what that much weight would do to that 2 door with those ProComps sportin about 1/32" o tread left on 'em! Those bales would keep right on pushing you across whatever tarmac they were attached ( when dry) to! >

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-28-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: <meant to mention>
post #9 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Wheeler

Towed 6000lbs of gravel in a 6x12 dump trailer behind my JKU for 30 miles. It went flawlessly.

'09 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Eh.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Granite Guru

Seems like a JKU wouldn't be any worse at towing around 5k than the XJ. My XJ was rated to tow 5000 (only managed 3500 poorly). I always consider boats being easier to tow since they have much less wind resistance then a box trailer.

The 2 door is probably pushing it though since it's already prone to wander, well mine does anyway. I'd tow right above 2k though but not much more.

The speed you are towing at has a lot to do with how unsafe it becomes. Tow slow.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Rock God

I used my dads little 4X8 trailer and picked up a pallet of Sheet Rock not sure that It weighed, then I got a bunch of premium 2X4 studs strapped it all down on top of the pallet of sheet rock and took it home so my brother could start the remodel in the home I bought.

I still had 15 sheets of sheet rock last weekend so we started hanging it in the garage to make it a little nicer in there.

that was pulled with my 07 Rubicon 6 spd. It did fine I think it would have hauled more.
post #12 of 26 Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Wheeler

I rented the same u haul trailer to tow a Cushman diesel snowblower tractor 60 miles home. Trailer was about 2000 lbs empty and the tractor was another 2000. With my 2011 jku auto. It was heavy but rolled along at 55. My 2014 would pull much better but it's a 2 door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2014 Wrangler Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod, Ranch 9000's, 17" ATX Cornice Wheels with 33" Duratracs, MBRP Light Bar, 12" Blitzpro LED, Spiderwebshades Ultramesh, Tuffy Conceal and Carry Box, Pioneer Mono Amp and Energy Sub
post #13 of 26 Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Rock God

most I've towed with mine is a 8X8 trailer with a quad on it. probably 1500 lbs max. anything more than that gets hooked to my 3500 truck.

funny the trailer looks bigger than the Jeep

Last edited by wildchild; 06-05-2015 at 07:08 AM.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Um, Second month after I got it ( this is an older image of my Jeep) I was asked to tow a washer/dryer, leather sofa , three room sized oriental wool rugs and a table and chairs ( approximately 1100 lbs I came to discover later) ACROSS NASHVILLE from North to West approx 30 miles and the freaking UHaul dudes were staring out the window ( I am sure placing bets about me coming back) at my connected rental of the 3500lb sized trailer. Yeah, I knew the weight was my max tow with 4.10s ( I got a rare '11 sahara w/ factory ordered gearing and heavy tow setup) but my Mom and Dad figured I would be pulling about 400lbs. This is an AUTOMATIC JKU. With the 3.8. Needless to say, once I turned in the trailer ( yeah, I made it ) I ordered a fan equipped aux tranny cooler that evening after I read about tow limits.
It is funny to see how the JK looks like it would fit in the trailer.

<BTW, Raider14 ; I guess it don't rain much there where you are cause I would hate to think what that much weight would do to that 2 door with those ProComps sportin about 1/32" o tread left on 'em! Those bales would keep right on pushing you across whatever tarmac they were attached ( when dry) to! >
Hey now, easy there its 1/16" .... LOL I know... I'm getting new tires in the next week or so, probably Nitto trail grapplers. But I can't complain, those crappy ProComps were free

But as the towing, it never left 4lo or over 25mph so stopping wasn't an issue. And just for the record, I didn't exactly do this by choice, I offered to move a trailer and ended up with a loaded one.. And rain? It exists?? I only hear about that from the crazy old timers!
post #15 of 26 Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

I was recently building a deck at my mother-in-law's house and used my '14 6-speed on 37's to tow a 16' flatbed loaded with 64 16' 5/4 board, 48 8'x2x6, 28 8'x2x8 and some misc deck blocks, paver base, tools, etc... It pulled no problem and stopped reasonably well, although I didn't take it above 35mph. No idea on total weight, but if I had to throw a guess I'd say the trailer had at least 3K on it.

As someone stated, I don't think the pull is the issue on the JK. It's the stop and frame strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #16 of 26 Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

The JK has excellent brakes. A trailer over 3k should have it's own brakes too so no real issue there. The length of the JKU is pretty good and the frame is solid.

What you lack is power. At low speeds and slow starts the JKU would be fine with a lot of weight. Trying to keep that moving 65mph on a highway though is going to be tough, every slightest hill will try to push you back to 55.

Carrying that much weight at speed in a 2 door though is just insane, the jeep just isn't long enough to control the trailer when the wind blows though or a grove starts swaying the trailer. You'd get yanked off the highway with the trailer or at least lose control.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

I towed my buddy's 16.5" fishing boat. All together, it was probably around 1800 pounds. The JK did ok...but you could certainly feel the boat pushing the Jeep stopping. Worse part was the fact that we were going on backroads, following the river. So that meant some pretty sharp corners and some steep inclines and declines. I did notice the Jeep DRANK fuel like it was fueling the boat, too. Overall, I'd certainly tow it again. But no chance in hell would I do any more than that.

Oh, and mines a 2 door

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #18 of 26 Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i tow a 3800lb (empty) camper and it sucks. im fine as long as there are no hills. my jeep is heavy and a crappy auto. pretty sure tranny will quit soon.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #19 of 26 Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All in fun but it's no tow rig.

I don't tow much more than a little 10' trailer and a jon boat.
This is what I like to pull up and go over.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

I am looking at purchasing a boat and the trailer and boat would be about 4200lbs. I am looking to tow the boat within my neighborhood about 1/2 a mile. I have a 12 JKUR on 37's. I am not looking to tow on main roads or interstate. The boat ramp is pretty steep. Is it reasonable to think that I can pull the boat and trailer out of the water with my Jeep within my neighborhood w/o trashing my tranny?
post #21 of 26 Old 08-02-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noride View Post
I am looking at purchasing a boat and the trailer and boat would be about 4200lbs. I am looking to tow the boat within my neighborhood about 1/2 a mile. I have a 12 JKUR on 37's. I am not looking to tow on main roads or interstate. The boat ramp is pretty steep. Is it reasonable to think that I can pull the boat and trailer out of the water with my Jeep within my neighborhood w/o trashing my tranny?
You'd be fine. You're only 200lbs over. Just drop it in 4lo on the ramp
post #22 of 26 Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Wheeler

I towed a travel trailer that weighed 3,200# +/- a few times. I had a Prodigy brake controller, a Reese friction sway control, and a Reese light duty WD hitch, which is made for popups and trailers under 4,000#. It pulled great on flat highway but was lacking on hills BIG TIME. Pulling over Monarch Pass in Colorado I had to drop into 1st and kept the tach at 4,500 RPM (30-35mph) to keep the trans from up and downshifting all the time. Now we have a Class C motorhome that we tow the jeep behind. The Wrangler is an '08 JKUR w/auto.
Mark.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Wheeler

I tow a 17.5ft center console no problem. Of course I give myself as much extra room to stop as I can, but my JKU tows the boat just fine.
post #24 of 26 Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Now if the damned parking brake would only hold on a boat ramp. 16' bass boat maybe 1800 loaded... If I had a stick it would end up in the lake with the boat.
2dr it def. knows the boat is there, long hauls I break out the 2500HD

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #25 of 26 Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

I pull a 17' hybrid with my JKU on 35s with a 3.8 auto and 5.38 gears. It handles fine with the trailer with a wdh and sway bar. But the power sucks bad. If I wasn't already in the planning stage for an engine swap I would never continue pulling a trailer that heavy. Once the new engone is in, it will be a great family tow rig that I can unhook and go out and play in.

JKU Rubicon 3" Lift 37" Toyos on ATX Slabs, Teraflex Hinged Carrier, BFH Rear with hitch, JCR Dagger front bumper, Warn 9.5XP, JCR Skids, Artec Front Axle Armor, 5.38 Gears, 6.4 Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode