Cornerguard and tail light idea..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Cornerguard and tail light idea.....

I had an idea for a rear tail lights and corner guards DIY that I wanted to float....

Thinking to install a set of (probably AEV) "builders' rear corner guards and painting them black or body color. Then, I want to use wrap around LED strips configured for dual intensity. Here's a pic I mocked up.

The idea here is to use builders corners so that I do not have to cut sheet metal and can go back to stock tail lights (with corners that have the cutouts).

These are the LED strips:
http://www.customdynamics.com/trufle...d_lighting.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not sure that will be legal in most states.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Gib
Rock God

What about reverse lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
What is not legal? modifying the tail lights?

Reflectors and reverse lights are part of the plan.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
What about reverse lights?
The evo bumper fascia has a couple of holes on the top side that you can use for a pair of small LED flood lights. That or there appears to be enough space on the fascia to bore a couple of holes and install some LED backup lights like the ones genright sells for their bumpers.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
This
post #7 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
What is not legal? modifying the tail lights?

Reflectors and reverse lights are part of the plan.
Just to quote the CA law I'm sure other states have more strict laws on size.

Quote:
(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more taillamps.

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958, shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps, except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, which are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one taillamp which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the vehicles. If a vehicle is equipped with two taillamps, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

(c) Every vehicle or vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles, subject to subdivision (a) of Section 22406 shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps.

(d) When two taillamps are required, at least one shall be mounted at the left and one at the right side respectively at the same level.

(e) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

(f) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required taillamps, may also be equipped with two taillamps which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. The additional taillamps on a tow truck shall be lighted whenever the headlamps are lighted.

Amended Ch. 924, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't see those little red strips from 1,000 feet away. Because your jeep is lifted the height might be ok. Although I bet most cops would still look at that a little funny.

I also know there is a rule where you need a specific amount of red showing. I can't seem t find it. However, it is the reason a lot of modern cars have red reflectors as the brake lights get smaller

Info:

|
post #8 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
This
okay, but why? Looking at the CVC, it's not obvious why this may not be legal.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Just to quote the CA law I'm sure other states have more strict laws on size.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't see those little red strips from 1,000 feet away. Because your jeep is lifted the height might be ok. Although I bet most cops would still look at that a little funny.

I also know there is a rule where you need a specific amount of red showing. I can't seem t find it. However, it is the reason a lot of modern cars have red reflectors as the brake lights get smaller
I'm thinking that with two strips of these on each side that they should be very visible. Height would be within spec.

I have a few police buddies so can run it by them. I thought one of them told me once that it was CHP who really bother with this anyway, VS local city officers.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 03:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'm thinking that with two strips of these on each side that they should be very visible. Height would be within spec.

I have a few police buddies so can run it by them. I thought one of them told me once that it was CHP who really bother with this anyway, VS local city officers.
I got pulled over for no front plate.... largest waste of time and money.

So I wouldn't put it past anyone given the wrong place at the wrong time type of thing.

Info:

|
post #11 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Rock God

Won't work without cutting the flat tabs off the body that the taillights screw to. Once you do corners, you don't go back. To fit the corners you have to cut the body.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I had an idea for a rear tail lights and corner guards DIY that I wanted to float....

Thinking to install a set of (probably AEV) "builders' rear corner guards and painting them black or body color. Then, I want to use wrap around LED strips configured for dual intensity. Here's a pic I mocked up.

The idea here is to use builders corners so that I do not have to cut sheet metal and can go back to stock tail lights (with corners that have the cutouts).

These are the LED strips:
http://www.customdynamics.com/trufle...d_lighting.htm
Those fugly lights would look better with some Yosemite Sam back off mud flaps and some twice pipes.

POG MO THOIN

Last edited by PKDailey4; 05-06-2014 at 04:58 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Granite Guru

They would not be legal in MD or any other state the requires dot approved.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Won't work without cutting the flat tabs off the body that the taillights screw to. Once you do corners, you don't go back. To fit the corners you have to cut the body.
Someone on the aev forum said that the tabs do not need to be cut off with the builders corners.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDailey4 View Post
?..and some twice pipes.

I haven't heard that term since the 1980's and even then it was from the 1970's. Cheech and Chong?

Yeah, glad I mocked it up in a pic. I had been mulling it around in my head for a few weeks now. Think I agree now that I see that it's FUGLY. Better suite to a custom lowered Chevy truck or something.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Someone on the aev forum said that the tabs do not need to be cut off with the builders corners.
I find that hard to believe since the screw bosses protrude beyond the plane of the body contour. Look at this shot from Poison Spyder's installation instructions.

The Builder Corners are just blanks -- no holes cut -- but they're the same contour as the ones with the holes. So those screw bosses are definitely going to interfere. Now if you get the AEV ones that are already cut for the OEM lights you won't have to cut the tabs off, but then you don't have what you want either.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #17 of 17 Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Say buh bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode