Suspension for aggressive duning - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Suspension for aggressive duning

Hello! so, I just recently sold my 2011 JKU and immediately picked up a 2014 JKU with the newer 3.6 Penstar. I'm going to do a fresh build and have most of my components picked out...except for the suspension. This is also my daily driver, although I only drive about 10 miles to work. On my 2011 I had a Full Traction 3" Lift with Bilstens and Teraflex bump stops. The majority of my offroad use is aggressive duning. See --->Jeep JK Jump at Silver Lake Dunes: http://youtu.be/5r0lVqqJnww to see an example of my driving style.

On the 2014 I've decided to run some form of King shocks with adjustable compression resi's so I can dial them up when I hit the sand and turn them softer for road driving, but I'm undecided on what overall suspension to go with. The Full Traction lift on my 2011 was decent and never failed, but Im thinking it may not have been the optimum setup for my style of offroading. I did keep my Teraflex bump stops to use on this new build since they work quite well, so that would need to be considered in any suggestions offered.

As I said, I'm a fast paced, aggressive type driver with very little to no rock crawling history, so something that can handle the punishment is what I'm after. I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer, and maybe a little plug on why you feel the suspension you recommend is superior or what makes it better for my style of use/abuse.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone... Anyone...Bueller... Bueller...
post #3 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM
It never ends...

TNT and EVO both make suspensions that take abuse.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

invest in really good bumpstops. mine have saved my ass many times at the dunes. mine are Fox airbumps

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
post #5 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT101 View Post
Anyone... Anyone...Bueller... Bueller...
Well most people on here build/install rock crawling style suspensions, maybe that's why people are hesitant to comment.
My JKU is a Daily Driver that does family friendly Jeep trails 5-6 times a year so I have no real experience building for your driving style.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, since you like Teraflex, how about the Teraflex Prerunner kit.

TeraFlex Presents: JK PreRunner 2.0 Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

Last edited by JKommuter; 05-04-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Fixed run-on, added link
post #6 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Rock God

I have the TF Speedbumps too and i feel it could be better. if i was doing another build i would try Kings air bumps with the rears frenched into the frame

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #7 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had decent luck with the teraflex bump stops (nothing bent so far) but I do feel I'm right on the edge of the limits of what that setup on my 2011 could handle, and can't keep from feeling there's a much better combination for me. I did look at the Teraflex "prerunner" suspension but to be honest, I can't really see much difference in components between it and any other suspension with the exception of some included limiting straps and bump stops...especially for the money they charge.

This has made me start thinking, as I look at the endless field of suspension companies, and all their similarities in design and components, is what I'm trying to achieve a matter of making the investment on really top quality adjustable shocks and bump stops like KING or FOX, and perhaps a little less focus and concern on what company is producing the lift components?

As I think (or maybe overthink...lol) this through I'm trying to control the compression and rebound of the axles through aggressive whoops, ruts, and landing from jumps at speed. So all things being fairly equal between companies that produce 3-4" lifts, should my first call be to King Shocks and get some shocks ordered?

On that note, what about a coilover shock setup?
post #8 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Granite Guru

The answer to your question lies within your budget. If your thought process is to utilize the tereflex speed bumps then I suspect your budget is limited so my suggestion would be to get any kit you like and spend the remainder on the best shocks you can afford.

Outside of that it's only money so regardless of the suggestions what can you afford?
post #9 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
The answer to your question lies within your budget. If your thought process is to utilize the tereflex speed bumps then I suspect your budget is limited so my suggestion would be to get any kit you like and spend the remainder on the best shocks you can afford.

Outside of that it's only money so regardless of the suggestions what can you afford?
Im not married to the Teraflex speed bumps by any means, as I said, they worked "ok" but feel there's more to be had. On the contrary, the budget is not limited (within sanity and divorce paper reasons ofcourse!) as I did pretty well with what I sold my 2011 for and wound up with a decent chunk of change over what I owed on it. I would want to justify the spending with true performance results. Fire some suggestions out, don't hold back!
post #10 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
It never ends...

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399242862.624460.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  725.7 KB

Triple bypass fronts do the trick. This is a modified EVO set up. TNT did the control arms, changed the mounts, steering etc.

I have a modified EVO lever in back. Triple bypass. It works well, but in a do over I would do standard coil overs.

It lands without bouncing.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399243051.756154.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  128.4 KB

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #11 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok, that's awesome!
post #12 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

Yep, awesome! The pic is distorted so it looks like the front wheel is an oval... like a cartoon. ha ha ha... makes me think of coyote chasing the roadrunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #13 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

If the budget allows I would skip the off the shelf kits altogether and take it to a qualified fabricator and go custom. Next step down from there I would look at the EVO set up as posted above or genright. Down again I would do a lesser bolt on coil over kit. Down from there we get back to pick a quality spring kit such as metalcloak synergy or currie and get some triple bypasses step down again to double bypass step down again to some nice adjustables, ditch the speed bumps and get some higher end kings or fox's. You can always opt for a long arm set up over short with the above options. ORI's with reservoirs might suit you as well.

As you can see its all money. Give yourself a hard budget and then plug in the option that fits.
post #14 of 68 Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Granite Guru

I would agree 100% to skip the kits and go custom. Not all but most kits are designed to be installed in a garage with limited tools so they need to be designed for the masses. We just finished a complete custom build for a friend at my shop that was not cheap to build but top notch end result. I'll actually have it at silver lake for long travel weekend if you want to check it out. Just do your research and take your time buying parts that will last. There are a lot of great threads on here and other sights for reference to. I just wheeled a 2011 into the shop to build for myself this weekend so feel free to contact me once it's under way.
post #15 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

If you want to go really fast, then you have to mimic what the desert racers are doing. Coilover and bypass at each corner. In the rear you would probably want to go custom to get the best out of it and in the front there are several companies that offer brackets but if you are going custom anyway might as well do it all around.

Just my opinion...

post #16 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illtrythat View Post
I would agree 100% to skip the kits and go custom. Not all but most kits are designed to be installed in a garage with limited tools so they need to be designed for the masses. We just finished a complete custom build for a friend at my shop that was not cheap to build but top notch end result. I'll actually have it at silver lake for long travel weekend if you want to check it out. Just do your research and take your time buying parts that will last. There are a lot of great threads on here and other sights for reference to. I just wheeled a 2011 into the shop to build for myself this weekend so feel free to contact me once it's under way.
Are you located in Michigan or just traveling into Silver Lake?

Thanks
post #17 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
It never ends...

Call TNT. Their stuff goes fast and is tough. Their long arm suspension front and rear (y-link and 3 link), and thier trusses and mounts work well with coil overs and bypasses. They've done a bunch of them now. All work well.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #18 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Granite Guru

Yes I own a small fabrication shop in Orion Michigan. We mostly build railings, staircases and custom stuff but it works out great when we decide to build a toy or jeep. I'm old so I've been building trucks since the early 80s for fun.
glasstekinc.com
We have also started a fun company to help fund toys.
FortyF.com
post #19 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Rock God

If I were planning on jumping my JK I would replace the weak front axle, and maybe the rear axle as well, with a pair of Dynatrac 60s with the 1/2" wall thickness option on the axle tubes, and the upgraded knuckles and balljoints. They will set you back about $11,000.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #20 of 68 Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

Just another opinion, if you are focused only on suspension I would say your largely stock jk will never be able to out drive a quality kit. I think slapping a custom suspension on an otherwise stock jk is just pissing money away. If you want to just have a little fun get a kit if you really want to go fast build a buggy and don't try and turn a production jeep into a racer. Again it all comes back to money but I get the impression you are just looking to have a little weekend fun without destroying the bank or your DD.
post #21 of 68 Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
If I were planning on jumping my JK I would replace the weak front axle, and maybe the rear axle as well, with a pair of Dynatrac 60s with the 1/2" wall thickness option on the axle tubes, and the upgraded knuckles and balljoints. They will set you back about $11,000.
You sure on that estimate?

post #22 of 68 Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

Just to let you know about a few things we have coming out that are in the works for this year; We have our Rock Runner Systems coming out this summer. Coil Over Systems front and rear.

Next, something I think you will like a little more will be our Rock Racer Systems. On a 4 door, the rear will be stretched 3" to fit all the goodies we want in there, but here is a quick run down;

Up Front
-2.5/8 Coil Overs and Bypass Shocks
-Fabricated Lower Control Arms with Quick Adjusters
-Independent 3 Link Front End Geometry similar to our Off-Road Pro and KOH rigs use.

In the Rear
-2 5/8 Coil Overs and Bypass Shocks Mounted on Trailing Arms
-Reverse Triangulated 3 Link (No rear track bar)

Some sort of Bump and Limiting Straps will be included. We are just debating on Air since they are so Noisy for street use, consumers might complain.

The 4 door version will debut this summer and the 2 door version (6" rear stretch - This fall)...

If you have any further questions please give us a shout. They are in development now...

RK
post #23 of 68 Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Just another opinion, if you are focused only on suspension I would say your largely stock jk will never be able to out drive a quality kit. I think slapping a custom suspension on an otherwise stock jk is just pissing money away. If you want to just have a little fun get a kit if you really want to go fast build a buggy and don't try and turn a production jeep into a racer. Again it all comes back to money but I get the impression you are just looking to have a little weekend fun without destroying the bank or your DD.
I appreciate your thoughts on this, and my no means am I trying to turn a JK into a sand rail long travel buggy. But I'll disagree with you on the limited level of 'go fast' that can be achieved with the right set up on a JK without mortgaging the house. I feel it's a well thought out combination of purpose built components which all starts out with the question "what do you want to be able to do and where is a logical performance ceiling that you would be satisfied with"?

As it seems the majority of companies focus on trail driving and rock crawling, I'm looking for something a little different. We all have a different perception of expensive or what's worth the money.
post #24 of 68 Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You sure on that estimate?
Yes, I ordered a set of Dynatrac 60s 8 weeks ago. They should ship this Friday (two days from now).
post #25 of 68 Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post

Triple bypass fronts do the trick. This is a modified EVO set up. TNT did the control arms, changed the mounts, steering etc.

I have a modified EVO lever in back. Triple bypass. It works well, but in a do over I would do standard coil overs.

It lands without bouncing.

Can you explain your reasoning for preferring standard coilovers in the rear over what you currently have? Would you still run the lever with the coilovers or no lever setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode