suggestions on new headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

suggestions on new headlights

this is my brand new jeep wrangler freedom edition, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on headlights that would look nice, and that work well obviously.. looking for something brighter than the stock headlights.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Gib
Rock God

You came to the right forum. Please take a look at the very thorough review here https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85577 It has a lot of different options shown with good output pictures. After that it's up to you to make an informed decision on how much you want to spend and how much you want to do to make them work.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
You came to the right forum. Please take a look at the very thorough review here https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85577 It has a lot of different options shown with good output pictures. After that it's up to you to make an informed decision on how much you want to spend and how much you want to do to make them work.
Thank you! just a hard decision since its brand new and all stock Im not sure what i want my jeeps "look" to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Wheeler

I have the trucklite LEDs. They cannot be any more simple to install and they are much brighter than stock. Some people dont like the pattern they put out but I dont mind at all. I tried HID's in the stock housings but the focus sucked and blinded a lot of people. The truck lites were well worth the money and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I like the blacked out look they give too when theyre off.

2014 granite JKUR 6spd, JCR dagger w/stinger, warn m8000s, teraflex tire carrier hinge, spiderwebshade, dirty dog 4x4 netting, 2.5" RK x-factor w/bilsteins, diy rock lights, sPOD, black box 50" light bar, JCR skids, dynomax comp exhaust, locker override, KOR front driveshaft. 37x12.5 Cooper STTs on 17x9 XD Addicts, CC ultra rear bumper, VKS Sliders, Trek Armor seat covers, Cobra 75 CB
post #5 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 03:17 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

I recently put in Sealed7 HIDs from www.theretrofitsource.com and am very pleased with the output and looks.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I recently put in Sealed7 HIDs from www.theretrofitsource.com and am very pleased with the output and looks.
LOL, I read your review over at HIDPlanet. I just got tapped by Andrew to install a set also. How are those holding up and how did you deal with the PS reservoir relocation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Personally, I am not a fan of LED headlights yet and opted for the old fangled solution of well chosen halogen courtesy of daniel sterns.

I started with hella h4 e codes and narva +50 bulbs with stock wattages. It was decent but not exactly what I wanted.

More recently, I switched over to the Cibies and like that pattern better. I also run them with 55/100 bulbs. Can't tell the difference on low beam between the +50 and regular but the 100w high beams are very welcome.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

thank you everyone for the suggestions. I just wasn't sure where to start
post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
LOL, I read your review over at HIDPlanet. I just got tapped by Andrew to install a set also. How are those holding up and how did you deal with the PS reservoir relocation?
So far they're holding up fine, I haven't even sealed the lenses on yet since I'm waiting for the new housings - no moisture at all even driving through a few Florida monsoons. The only real issue I've seen is on the projector - it's extremely easy to break the high beam plastic thing where the wiring harness plugs in. I broke both of mine trying to get the plug seated. Not a big deal since I was able to glue it back together, but there's definitely a problem with the design.

For the reservoir I just unbolted it and stuffed it over to the side for now; I'll make a bracket for it when I have time but it's not going anywhere as it is now.

I know I'm promoting the hell out of them, but I have no affiliation to TRS and the only discount I got was from a free shipping code from one of the forums I'm on (maybe HIDPlanet, can't remember) I just really like that there's a DIY HID projector kit out finally that doesn't involve modding the stock housing. I'm not impressed with Trucklites, and JW Speakers are just too expensive and not customizable.

Last edited by JTG; 05-04-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Rock God

I've tried several different sets (Hella H4s, Cibie H4s, HIDs (in stock housing and in the Cibies), retrofitted HID projectors and TruckLite LEDs). Of everything I've tried, hands down the best are the TLs. I just wish I'd tried them sooner. The Hella's and Cibies were pretty good, and the Hella's definitely get the best bang for buck award.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Wheeler

I was pretty disappointed in my stock lights too. A lot of research and this is what I replaced mine with: http://amzn.to/1s9e2wc (Philips H13 9008 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2). My eventual intent was to go with a Daniel Stern set up. I do not like the look of LED headlights or tinted headlights for that matter. These bulbs are not lasers searing a hole in the night but they are noticeably brighter than stock and pattern well. Before I HAD to drive with the driving lights on to see the road. I changed those bulbs to yellow fog lamps and only use them now when its foggy!
Despite the marketing hype, they are not extreme. They are bright heck and light up the road really well which is what I was after.

Cheers

kirk

Oh and I replaced them in 2012 and they're still going strong.

Last edited by dunnk; 05-04-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

I just put KC LED headlights on ours and am really pleased with them. I found them on Amazon for a few buck more than the TL's w/harnesses. Only real downside I can find is that the LED headlights can ice over. I live in southern Louisiana so that might happen once a decade.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
this is my brand new jeep wrangler freedom edition, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on headlights that would look nice, and that work well obviously.. looking for something brighter than the stock headlights.
Jillian - check us out! We can get you set up with a custom set of HID headlights that are designed to fit your unique style!

www.HIDprojectors.com

w:
e:
p: 716.662.3479

IG:

post #14 of 14 Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Rock God

Tried cheap HIDs in the stock housing, Truck-lite Phase 7s and Hella H4s/Philips Xtreme Vision with the RallyLights/SMS harness. Prefer the Hellas in every way over the TLs except for having to change bulbs. Wish the Sealed7s were available when I was looking at lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode