Lift kit suggestion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-26-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lift kit suggestion

Im a newbie to JK world , I have owned TJs in the past. Can anyone give me a suggestion on a good basic lift that rides good and will clear 33 12.50s with out rubbing ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Wheeler

I believe you can clear 33s without any lift at all. If you still want to go up, try a leveling kit.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 AM
JKO Addict!

You can indeed fit a 33" with the proper backspacing or wheel spacers. This is mostly for tire width clearance-running a common 12.5

Plenty of folks running 35's with nothing more then a leveling kit, trimmed flares, pitch seam and added bumpstop. Longer shocks to retain/add downtraval.

It's a fact, you don't need a ton of lift on a Jk per given tire size. Over 2-2.5 expense adds up quick to do it
It all depends on size and how you're using the jeep. Off road and you want travel. The jeep will be set up differently then a DD.

The TJ was a whole other animal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah I have noticed how much of a difference my tj was compared to my jk .. Im probaly going to go with a 2.5 to 3in kit with springs with a 33 12.50 tire with a 18in wheel .. any suggestion a a kit thats rides the best on road
post #5 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
According to 4WD's catalog, (lift & suspensions) section.. The current JK 07-15 can handle a 32 x 11.50 wheel & tire set up (without lifting). But after which, the 33 x 12.50 would need a 2 inch lift or greater. I would suggest at this point, that you consider a "hard lift" instead of simply adding coil spacers. Although I do not recommend a wheel spacer.. the tires would need to be set as to allow for the proper width (no sidewall bulge) to prevent rubbing on any suspension components. This also depends on what tire and rim setup you'll be using.
Don't go by 4WD's catalog, they don't know shit.

Why no wheel spacers?
post #6 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Wheeler

I've been doing ALOT of reading trying to plan out my build. First of all with 33s a 2.5-3" lift makes them look too small in my opinion, but of course that's just me. I know your coming from a TJ where 33s were the "big", but it seems in the JK 35s are the equivalent.

After all the reading I'd decided to go with a Rock Krawler lift, they have very complete, heavy duty set ups. I'm going on the other end towards 37s and I plan to do a 3.5 RK with maybe a 1" body if I decide to keep my factory flares for a while. Check out the RK 1.5 or 2.5 kits, Northridge4x4.com has the best pricing I've seen.

Once you get past the 2.5-3" mark you start to risk needing new drive shafts. Front for 4 doors and front and rear for 2 doors. This is a 500-1000 addition to consider.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDriller View Post
I've been doing ALOT of reading trying to plan out my build. First of all with 33s a 2.5-3" lift makes them look too small in my opinion, but of course that's just me. I know your coming from a TJ where 33s were the "big", but it seems in the JK 35s are the equivalent.

After all the reading I'd decided to go with a Rock Krawler lift, they have very complete, heavy duty set ups. I'm going on the other end towards 37s and I plan to do a 3.5 RK with maybe a 1" body if I decide to keep my factory flares for a while. Check out the RK 1.5 or 2.5 kits, Northridge4x4.com has the best pricing I've seen.

Once you get past the 2.5-3" mark you start to risk needing new drive shafts. Front for 4 doors and front and rear for 2 doors. This is a 500-1000 addition to consider.
Check with the forum vendors. They will all have better prices and more personal service than Northridge's online prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #8 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
@Cavallini03

Very sad to here this.. and very odd that you say this because all we've ever seen, done and heard from Kelly via 4WD is good things and they have always been on the money with all my questions.. Apparently an ex-customer server rep did or told you wrongly..
Nice assumption.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah i will check with some of the vendors.. Yeah i have noticed that the go to with a jk is a 35in tire .. I had 35s on my tjs and completely understand the switching out drive shaft costs .. But yeah i am looking hard at the rock crawler kits now .. I am just building my jk to look good as a everyday driver and for weekends , I will be offroad some , But not much....
post #10 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

for those of us on a budget or fiscally concsious. I loved that rock krawler could be bought in stages. basically starting off with the 2.5 springs and then upgrading track bars and control arms as needed.

Still on the 2.5 original springs but now with RK Lowers all around, Rk 3 Link in the rear and Ruff Stuff front upper DIY arms.

On 35's and it wheels amazing and the 2.5 kit has never left me regretting the purchase or needing more of a lift !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Lift kit suggestion

Are you wheeling, any weight ie bumpers/winch ? Then a coil lift would be better.

Teraflex makes a decent 2.5 like mentioned above.
The kit without shocks sets you up with a rear raised TB bracket. Helps out a little with handling and axle shift. Also centers the axle.
For shocks I'm running Rancho 9000's and love them. I still have the 7000's but I got a good deal on a slightly used set. Had to try them with RK's new coils. Rancho currently is doing a rebate offer. $100 off 4 9000's iirc.
Add Northridge 9/16 bolt kit for $40. Maybe a track bar for the front and you'll have yourself a nice setup.

Another option (2 door) RK's new triple rate coils. The stock mod or flex kit are great starter kits. The 1.5" coils will provide 2.5 on a 2 door.

Then there's AEV. Couple things I would do different, the 2.5 kit is a decent setup. Add the Control arm drop brackets for a nice ride.
Matter of fact .. Front drop brackets can be added along with any of the mentioned kits.

Give Dan @ Rockraider4x4 or Marcus at Rivercity off road. Both good dudes and highly recommend.

Good luck

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 04-27-2014 at 11:54 AM.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Is a spacer kit a wrong way to go or does it kill your ride ????
post #13 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am just in between spacers and coils now and but leaning towards springs bc i will be adding a winch plate to the stock bumper and i am scared of a sag over time with the stock springs....
post #14 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

No no .. The hockey puck was for bump stop extensions. I actually removed my upper stops and drilled for hockey pucks. I'll need 3 but the hole is there. Slide pucks through coil. Get a bolt through and a nut ... Done. Free bumps

Spacers won't effect ride much. A positive is the lift height is exactly what's listed. This is big to keep geometry in check which had a big impact on handling. Some coils net more then listed height. Over 3" one much be careful. It gets pricey also.

I mean, a simple 2.5 kit. Add Rancho 9000 shocks not extensions. Plenty of room for a 33" tire and will ride well.

post #15 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaterjeep View Post
I am just in between spacers and coils now and but leaning towards springs bc i will be adding a winch plate to the stock bumper and i am scared of a sag over time with the stock springs....

2 door right ?
Google 19/60 coil upgrade. First crawl under and see which coils you have by the last 2 numbers.
If you can get your hands on a factory 18 or 19 --and you have 15's) the extra hight should work out great,

Actually 19/16's provide up to a 2" lift on a 2 door with light springs. Some folks I know run the Daystar 1.75 pucks with 19/60 coils. Perfect 2.5-3" lift. You still need to extend the swaybar links and running longer shocks -proper bumpstop.

So many options

post #16 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 PM
JKO Addict!

ARB .. This post would work with you too ^*

post #17 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok guys I am sold on the rock Krawler 1.75, Plus I am going with the rancho 9k shocks , Is there anything else I should swap out while I am at it to just be on the safe side...
post #18 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

1.5 assuming ?
You're going to need bumpstops front and rear depending on tire size, shock specs. At 2.5 you can run the stock rear swaybar links in front or quick disco's. This means replacing the rears for a 2-3" lift.
Front brake lines possibly/rear drop brackets.

Look through the kits available.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1866

I thought there was a flex system (front lower CA's and track bar.
Not to say you can't have a vender piece together the exact setup you want.

Ken

post #19 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
@kjeeper

You know I'd trust your word over anyone else we've spoken with in the past.. we just need some of these companies who have made promises to live upto those promises..

Thou having done this before with the 99, (spacer install) I doubt I could handle this today.. and any info or direction is greatly appreciated. Just need to line up a few more part options..

I take it you still waiting on the 1.75's ?

post #20 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes i was planning on the 1.75 budget based long travel system , swapping out shocks for 33 12.50s
post #21 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes i was planning on the 1.75 budget based long travel system and swapping out the shocks to ranchos and running 33 12.50s on a 18in wheel .. should i swap anything else out with using this kit while im at it???
post #22 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Oh I see it. Had to google not seeing it on the site.
Sorry there..

post #23 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@kjeeper10

Any comments or suggestions on the 1.75 RK or anything you recommend swapping out
post #24 of 26 Old 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
JKO Addict!

You should be ok at that height. Pretty basic kit.

post #25 of 26 Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Haha. This thread is almost painful.:banghead:

So here's my suggestion for ya. Sounds like you have decided on a RK lift and I can tell ya for bolt on stuff they are a good company to go with. Do yourself a favor and call Marcus at River City Offroad and talk to him about your plans and what you would like to accomplish. Marcus is a stand up guy and will help set you up correctly and you won't have to do quite as much guessing as it sounds like your doing.

The 9000's are decent shocks. I've ran them for several years now but I'm not sold on them being the end all. Matt with Rancho is a hell of a nice guy and as with RK, they stand behind their product. The lifetime warranty is good and i have replaced all of mine recently due to failures. The Fox 2.0 shocks actually ride much better in my opinion and if you can afford the difference maybe you could compare them with Marcus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode