Void Warranty - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Void Warranty

So I'm fairly new to this. But my questions is what type of lift will void the warranty? I apologize because I know this a repost, I've read 101 different things. I've talked to all the dudes I know from the Marine Corps that are Jeep dudes. They all give me different answers. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it situationally dependent on the dealer on what they will say is or is not covered? I have buddies with 3.25" Rough Country lifts and still covered...But my dealer tells me if I don't buy this overpriced 2" Mopar lift everything is void. I call bull, but I need the help out you all.

And I said Marine buddies, because I swear it seems like 90% of my old platoon now has Jeeps ha.

Any help would be appreciated gentleman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru

While the dealer's attitude toward lifted Jeeps has some bearing, ultimately it is Chrysler's call as to what is covered under warranty. If you have multiple dealerships in your area, find the one that is most "Lift Friendly." Chrysler's position is that if the lift had no effect on the part in question, it is still covered. For example, the exhaust system is completely unaffected by a lift and the warranty is still applicable. However, your stock shocks will not be covered if they fail.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Rock God

start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

the Magnuson Moss warranty act basically says that Jeep cannot deny a warranty claim unless the failure was directly caused by the after market part. So if you put a lift on and your head gasket fails, its covered.

Whatever stupid dealer told you you had to buy their lift to be covered by the warranty is just trying to scare you into buying their crap.

Even if you buy their crappy ass lift, its NOT covered under the vehicle warranty but rather whatever two bit POS warranty it comes with - if any.

And really, what is going to fail on a lift besides shocks? I suppose something could break, but they will claim you abused it and not cover it. Shocks are the most common failure point on a lift. Make sure whatever lift you buy has a good shock warranty. I have had great service from Bilstein.

You need to find a dealer that is mod friendly. My last JK was lifted, gears, axle shafts, 37s, and a hemi conversion and I still had some warranty work done on it!!! (gas tank issue). Its all up to the dealer if they want to play ball.

Don't let a greedy dealer jack you up. Find somewhere else to get your warranty work done. And buy whatever lift you want.

thank you for your service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Wheeler

i work for a dealer, and if we install a mopar terraflex lift, it is under warranty. anything else, voids warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 - 2014 Jeep Rubicons
CDJR Dealer - Finance Manager
SEMA 2010
SEMA 2014
post #5 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Bozeman Montana, there are a few places in town, only one jeep dealer in town...so I was semi limited. But it gradually makes more sense, every other off road shop in town he told me they would lie to make a better deal, but as I read more and more, it makes sense. Even when he initially told me I thought what the...how could you knee cap this. Thank you two, if anyone else has information I wouldn't turn it down. Thank you again.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyb View Post
anything else, voids warranty.
Are you a Finance Manager? The warranty should be pretty close by. What you say seems to be in conflict with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act cited above as well as my own personal experience working inside of a new car dealership. Can you cite a reference and perhaps provide a quote anything close to that statement?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Dealers regularly conflict with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. They can say anything they want. Once they deny your warranty, it becomes your burden.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act offers some protection, but the reality is VERY different. Once they deny your warranty, then what? You hire a lawyer and sure them? At what cost? You'll likely spend tens of thousands of dollars suing Chrysler and still lose. Judges and juries are not as Jeep savvy as the rest of us here. When the Chrysler "expert" testifies that the un-authorized lift you have ruined your muffler bearings, they'll believe it. Leaving you with no warranty and lots of legal bills. Tread lightly and consider carefully before relying on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act to save you.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #8 of 17 Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Dealers regularly conflict with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. They can say anything they want. Once they deny your warranty, it becomes your burden.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act offers some protection, but the reality is VERY different. Once they deny your warranty, then what? You hire a lawyer and sure them? At what cost? You'll likely spend tens of thousands of dollars suing Chrysler and still lose. Judges and juries are not as Jeep savvy as the rest of us here. When the Chrysler "expert" testifies that the un-authorized lift you have ruined your muffler bearings, they'll believe it. Leaving you with no warranty and lots of legal bills. Tread lightly and consider carefully before relying on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act to save you.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the tread lightly part. I am not about to be jacked around by some dealer. There are plenty of dealers where I live and most of them are VERY mod friendly. I suppose if you live in a one dealer town, they might have you by the short hairs. But it would really piss me of to be black mailed like that. That is what they are doing, black mail, pure and simple. I think I would just build a truggy before putting up with that shit!

I know this is almost blasphemy on here, but back when eddie ran the JK forum about the only thing worth reading on that POS was his sticky on his trials and tribulations with warranty issues. That was a great case study in exactly how the system works, for and against the consumer. Not sure if it is still there as I don't frequent that forum any more.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question Eddie not there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
I know this is almost blasphemy on here, but back when eddie ran the JK forum Not sure if it is still there as I don't frequent that forum any more.
Oh is Eddie not there now? I stopped going there so long ago I guess I'm behind times.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act offers some protection, but the reality is VERY different. Once they deny your warranty, then what? You hire a lawyer and sure them? At what cost? You'll likely spend tens of thousands of dollars suing Chrysler and still lose. Judges and juries are not as Jeep savvy as the rest of us here. When the Chrysler "expert" testifies that the un-authorized lift you have ruined your muffler bearings, they'll believe it. Leaving you with no warranty and lots of legal bills.
Bingo.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

excellent points on the relative usefulness of the MMWA.

glad to be a self maintaining ex-mechanic. almost every single new car I have ever purchase has been fresh off the truck and almost never back to the dealer once the PDI was done for any reason.

even if something is covered under warranty, you are lucky if the tech does not inject some other hidden damage or goof something up in the process and you end up paying for that later.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyb View Post
i work for a dealer, and if we install a mopar terraflex lift, it is under warranty. anything else, voids warranty.
I worked for Chrysler for 15 years in Mopar Parts and Service. Your statement that any other lift installed on your JK will void the warranty is false.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

research the magnuson moss act. it states that the lift or mod has to directly link to the point of failure. that being said, all suspension components will be voided. now if the trans drops on the highway it has absolutely to do with a lift, however if that happens and you have a ripp or other charger, youre SOL
post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI JeepSkate View Post
research the magnuson moss act. it states that the lift or mod has to directly link to the point of failure. that being said, all suspension components will be voided. now if the trans drops on the highway it has absolutely to do with a lift, however if that happens and you have a ripp or other charger, youre SOL

Perhaps, but the above normal operating angle of the driveshafts could have lead to a vibration within the transfer case that could have lead to....whatever you want. They could stretch that pretty far and have more money/resources than you to support it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Wheeler

I have a self-installed 1.75" daystar coil lift and had no problems last month w/ getting a signoff on my 5yr inspection for my lifetime powertrain warranty.

Eccl: 1:8-11 All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, “Look! This is something new”? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. No one remembers the former generations, and even those yet to come will not be remembered by those who follow them.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
I have a self-installed 1.75" daystar coil lift and had no problems last month w/ getting a signoff on my 5yr inspection for my lifetime powertrain warranty.
My JKU passed it's 5 year inspection yesterday with a 2.5" TF lift. No questions asked. On the other hand maybe they just log all the mods so they know how to get out of the inevitable future claims.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
Lol, they honestly probably couldn't tell the difference...

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode