>>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<< - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Exclamation >>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<<

Need Help please.

Water leak issue, water found on driver side floor. (Water only, not antifreeze)

I have a 2008 2 Door JK Hard Top with the removable roof panels. It has 7,000 miles on the vehicle since new, and I am the original owner. The tops have only been off only once just for a day a few years ago. I don't remember ever haven driven it in the rain ever.

I am assuming it is a roof leak, and is leaking water on to the Driver Side floor.

I went through the drive thru full service car wash, and when I got home noticed the drivers side carpet was wet. Then over the weekend drove thru some fairly heavy rain. Next day noticed driver side carpet even wetter than before.

Took carpet out, left it out, and it dried over the next few days. Took out the 2 floor pan drain plugs and dried floor with a towel.

No rain and no car wash since. Floor has not been wet since.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2007 and 2008's had a water leak issue with the removable roof panels leaking water in, and seem to remember seeing a TSB or something that addressed the issue.

Dealer Service Manager says he never has ever had any luck fixing this problem properly or permanently.

For any of you who have had the same problem, how did you fix it?

And how did you finally properly resolve the water leak issue where it did not leak again, and start leaking again later down the road?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Carpet only gets wet on the Driver Side.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

My suggestion would be to grab a hose and spray down the roof and windshield and then check for water coming in.

I had a minor leak from my front panels one day on a steep decent in the rain. The water dripped onto the center of the dash.

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Granite Guru

It's not considered a good idea to post the same question in two different areas in a forum:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179977

Good luck with getting your stuff fixed...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, and more to come...
post #5 of 16 Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 PM
JKO Addict!

park in a garage.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

Trade it in for a volvo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 16 Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Wheeler

I Had the same problem with my '12, cept it leaked right into the cupholder luckily! And it only happened with this one really driving rain we had. I took off the tops and re-seated them, hasn't happened again (although we haven't had that huge a rain since either.....the vasoline ( or similar lube) idea sounds good too
post #8 of 16 Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Rock God

Try taking them out and then putting them back in. Be mindful to seat them correctly. The problem should go away. Most (not all) of the freedom panel leaks I've seen have been from the rubber seals not seating properly.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #9 of 16 Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

Ive heard from several people that the hard top leaking can be caused by over tightening bolts and what not......

My 2012 soft top has leaked since day one. Been in the shop 3 times for it before i said screw it, and bought some rubber mats to cover up the wet carpet, and just take a shop vac to it every couple weeks.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: >>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<<

[1] there is /was a Chrysler TSR for leaking Freedom Tops - it is basically a replacement with slightly upgraded foam rubber trim that is around your freedom top panels- Google it and get the kit if applicable.
I think the earlier than '10 JKs and JKUs were more affected.
[2] if that doesn't get it, be mindful that what you think is appropriate torque for those two big final screws that are the size of your cup holders and above your head? they need to be only tightened about 3/4 of a turn past where you initially feel them start to bind- over tighten them and it lifts the front of the freedom top panels.
[3] there is a very specific order to install a freedom top that is exactly listed in your owners manual. Do that order of install and just after getting the third and last panel in place put both hands under it as you are sitting in driver seat and push up with both hands approximately 1" then ease it back down to make sure and 'seat' the trim . you'll be amazed to find how this and not over torquing those two big screws above your head make the top fit better. THEN tighten down your L shaped clamps/
[4] if all this fails, you have a leaking trim piece; life expectancy is approx 3 years, so two words ( and this fixed mine but good) : BUTYL TAPE - Black. It is that sticky crap that appears felt covered on the corners and by where the pegs that fit in the front panels go . Buy a big ass roll off eBay or wherever ( http://tinyurl.com/mukp9f9 ) and use it where ya find the leaking to be coming from after you use the aforementioned garden hose test.
[5]my bet is it isn't leaking but it's your Jeep crying from not being used nearly enough. How on earth do you have an '08 with only 7k miles on it?! I WISH I had 4 times that much on my '11 and I would be thrilled.

<EDIT: I left off number 6 : [6] Petroleum based jelly will deteriorate foam rubber trim. Please don't put vasoline on your hard top. You may top your hard on with it, if that's 'your thing' , but do the JK a favor & do not put it on your hard top. ever. >

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Wheeler

remove carpets. I had the same issue other side. Dumped money on seals went through the entire leak manual. Best fix was to live with it.

Want the leak manual PM me your email

good luck...It's a Jeep thing now you understand
post #12 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

Just drill a hole for the water to drain.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurbuddiee View Post
Just drill a hole for the water to drain.
There are already holes there.......
post #14 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

MORE HOLES
post #15 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinehyperlite View Post
Ive heard from several people that the hard top leaking can be caused by over tightening bolts and what not......

My 2012 soft top has leaked since day one. Been in the shop 3 times for it before i said screw it, and bought some rubber mats to cover up the wet carpet, and just take a shop vac to it every couple weeks.
mine is an '08 soft top, not sure if it leaked from day one but it sure as hell leaks now days. LOL luckily only the passengers side gets wet, so I'm good. LOL
post #16 of 16 Old 05-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Wheeler

I live in the Seattle area and my top leaks too. Some days worse than others. Usually if its been a long dry spell and then a heavy rain where it just sits for a day or so, when I drive down the hill and pull to the stop sign, I get a stream of water right down in front of the rearview mirror. It's like the seam between the two freedom panels collect a small bit of water and then inertia dumps it when I stop. Somewhere on here is an article with the contents I'm about to paste in. I used a silicone grease that you can find in the plumbing section at HD to lubricate the seals and it helped. (if you're going to use that stuff, blue nitrile gloves. It's hell to get off your hands and it gets everywhere if you're not careful) I also took it in and had the seals on the passenger side replaced because they were particularly bad. (It now has a strange whistle at 30-38 mph) I ended up pulling the carpet and all the plastic to track where the water was coming in and left it out to show the service manager. Anyway here is the text I've saved to a notepad document in my phone:

Stop the Leaks!
A reader sent in this article to us and we liked it so much we put it here for others to benefit from it too. Many JK owners out there have experienced leaks with from the Freedom Top panels. It seems the best way of preventing leaks is by following a few simple steps to install the panels.
PROCEDURE
Place the panel on the top of the vehicle.
Locate the positioning pin on the outside edge of the freedom panel, and position the panel such that this pin sits into its corresponding hole in the over-door rollbar.
Repeat on driver’s side.
After placing each panel, LIFT each panel straight up and gently lower back into place. ENSURE that you DO NOT SLIDE the panel into place but LOWER the panel into place so that the gasket is not crimped or wrinkled.
Once both the driver and passenger panels are in place, rotate all the retaining levers to the locked position.
Flip the retaining clip over the windshield into place
Start threading the freedom panel screws into the rear of the panel, through the holes in the soundbar.
Once you actually get the screws through the soundbar, rollbar, and into the top tighten it down…well…tight enough. YOU’RE NOT DONE YET!
Drive the Jeep for a period of time and check the screws. Retighten to snug them back up.
Periodically check the screws to ensure they are still tight.
We have followed this procedure on the jeepfan.com JK with great success. Thanks for writing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode