Pigtail for 3rd brake light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pigtail for 3rd brake light

I am looking at my options for a modified 3rd brake light. I was curious if anybody can tell me what type of connector the factory 3rd brake light wiring uses? I know that there is a connection where the wiring of the light hooks up to the wiring leading into the jeep.

What I am looking for is a pigtail/connector that I can wiring onto the alternate 3rd brake light I am thinking of using and allow me to easily disconnect it when getting the spare tire off. I know that I can use the disconnect the light comes with and then tap the wire from it onto the factory wiring. I would just like to avoid tapping the factory wiring if I can easily do it by putting the matching connector onto the alternate 3rd brake light wires.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 AM
Granite Guru

maybe I'm not understanding the question.. but...

If you open the tailgate and pop off the black cover on the inside, you can remove the plug for the third break light.

I did that and wired in a differernt LED light for my 3rd brake light and then just plugged the connector back in. Make it clean and very simple.

I did this due to changing out to a different bumper/tire carrier then stock which of course removed the stock tire carrier and brake light stuff.

Thanks,
Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

I cut the plug off and then wired an 1/8th inch mini phone plug female onto it. And then the male end is going to my new license plate frame/brake light. It's mounted on my spare so I needed to be able to take it off easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Rock God

you can usually find someone selling the spare tire carrier for cheap. Some even giving it away. When you find one for sale, make an offer for just the light and plug.

I still have mine and it's been off for about 6 years. NOT for sale though. I'm going to be doing something similar to what you described.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2018, 04:32 PM

I know this is a super old post, but I actually found the connector part number to do exactly what MAG00 wanted to accomplish. That was to keep everything as stock as possible and be "plug and play" from the tailgate to the third tail light harness. MOPAR makes a repair kit connector for doing this. The kit even comes with wires pre-crimped with the correct terminals. Just splice the repair wires to whatever harness you have leading to the third tail light. (this connector is for the third tail light harness female end, NOT the tailgate harness male end.)

I also originally wanted to do exactly what the others said... to use an old connector from an existing tail light and harvest the connector from that. As that would have been the best option. The original owner cut the tail light off and did not save the light. I am the third owner of this jeep and did not have the light to harvest from. Unfortunately after an extensive search within a six hour drive from my house, there were no tire carrier's or lights available in any junk yard, nor did anyone have one they would give up. Like jkx0778 said "NOT for sale". Everything on ebay turned out to be more expensive than the connector itself, so I just bought the repair kit connector. NOTE: The ultimate goal here was to keep the tailgate 100% stock "plug and play". Not to splice in a different type of connector or hardwire in something else.

These can be ordered directly from MOPAR Parts via Amazon.com. Use kit P/N: 68065023AA (it is a bit spendy at $30, but if that's the route you want to go, here it is.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode