towing capacity with lift. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

towing capacity with lift.

Hi all, I have a 2014 JKU with 35's, 3.73 gear and 5 speed auto. Did I lose any of my 3500lb towing capability by adding the tires with no gear change? Do I need to regear to get my power back and if so what gear would equal the factory performance level with the 3.73's. I will be towing a 3200lb pop up from East TN to Orlando Fla and I don't want to hurt anything by not regearing.

Thanks
Scott

2014 JK Unlimited
3.6 Pentastar 5 Speed Auto
Dune / Oscar Mike Edition
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
315/70x17 Duratracs on AEV Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjohnsn View Post
Hi all, I have a 2014 JKU with 35's, 3.73 gear and 5 speed auto. Did I lose any of my 3500lb towing capability by adding the tires with no gear change? Do I need to regear to get my power back and if so what gear would equal the factory performance level with the 3.73's. I will be towing a 3200lb pop up from East TN to Orlando Fla and I don't want to hurt anything by not regearing.

Thanks
Scott
There are several threads on the forum that will address your gearing question. Some even have charts that will allow you to compare various setups. Should be easy to find with a search.

Some short/general comments though . . .

You won't technically lose any of your tow capacity, but you will almost certainly feel the difference with that heavy of a trailer behind you. How much you feel it will depend on how much lift you have and how tall or wide that trailer is. If you'll be catching a lot of air, you'll notice the power loss much more. 3.73s are not the "towing gears" for the JKU anyway. Max trailering package should've come with 4.10s unless that changed since '12.

With the auto, you'll want to pay attention to the OD shifting. If it seems like the tranny is searching for a gear, you're going to build a lot of heat, which won't be good. I would recommend taking the setup on a short trip to see for yourself how dramatic the change is. And if you have or can get a way to monitor the tranny temp, that would be a great way to put your mind at ease or indicate that you need to make some corrections.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

After doing some searching, I found that at 70 mph I am running around 2150 rpm with the 34 inch tires. This is slightly out of the performance range and it looks like a 4.10 is recommended. That is allot of money just to go from 3.73 to 4.10 and not sure it is worth it.

Scott

2014 JK Unlimited
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Granite Guru

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
There are several threads on the forum that will address your gearing question. Some even have charts that will allow you to compare various setups. Should be easy to find with a search.

Some short/general comments though . . .

You won't technically lose any of your tow capacity, but you will almost certainly feel the difference with that heavy of a trailer behind you. How much you feel it will depend on how much lift you have and how tall or wide that trailer is. If you'll be catching a lot of air, you'll notice the power loss much more. 3.73s are not the "towing gears" for the JKU anyway. Max trailering package should've come with 4.10s unless that changed since '12.

With the auto, you'll want to pay attention to the OD shifting. If it seems like the tranny is searching for a gear, you're going to build a lot of heat, which won't be good. I would recommend taking the setup on a short trip to see for yourself how dramatic the change is. And if you have or can get a way to monitor the tranny temp, that would be a great way to put your mind at ease or indicate that you need to make some corrections.
I have a '13 with the max tow/trailer package. It included the wire harness, hitch, LSD, and 3.73 gears. If it came with 4.10's I'd bust my nut
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Wheeler

i have a 2.5 lift with a 33ish inch tire and tow a 3300 lb bow rider boat all summer long. 250+ mile trips along with short trips with lots of hills. I have never had an issue, however pulling out "quick" isnt going to happen. i can hold 70 on the highway with no issue. and stopping is fine (also have surge brakes on the boat trailer) i take it easy pulling out and even up a 8% grade that is over a mile long, i can hold 65MPH. (this is on a 2012 with 3.73 and auto

i did buy a aeroforce gauge to monitor my trans temps this year...but have not towed with it yet

2012 Black JKU , 2.5 RockKrawler lift, 285/75-17 nitto terra's, Custom AtoZ sliders, AtoZ bumper with Quadratec I9500 winch..
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok, I test towed the popup tonight and I didn't like it. The trailer was empty and weighed in at roughly 2600 lb and I couldn't pull a decent grade without it dropping to 3rd gear. Everything went great and handled fine but I see alot of gas to haul this to and from Florida. I live in East TN at the base of the Smoky Mountains so hills are a daily occurrence. Now, do I go 4.56 or 4.88 gears?

Scott

2014 JK Unlimited
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Max trailering package should've come with 4.10s unless that changed since '12.
Some '07 non-Rubicons with the D44 rear came with a 4.10 ratio (pretty rare overall, much like the D35 equipped ones), but it ended there. The only way to get 4.10s now is to get a Rubicon, max is 3.73 in Sport/Sahara/Special edition of the month as far as I know

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode