Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers

I am curious to hear comments/opinions on these two tires (Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers) in 35s for a daily driver JKU with 2.5 RK lift. My terrain usually consist of a lot of pavement and then mud and dirt. Not many rocks around hear. Biggest concern with punctures come from logs, stumps or small cut off trees.

Thoughts on these two tires...which one would you go with? Want good ride, handle well on pavement, low sound for an MT, and perform well for my terrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

cant comment on the Nittos, but :

With an identical set up rig I have been running the MTR/k's for 20k miles. Daily driven, with one or less off road trip a month. I can say that i am very happy with the all around performance of this tire. Especially in the northeast where mud, snow, rocks, dirt and pavement are often seen on the sme run.

They have held up great, minimal road noise and have never let me down offroad. People have experience issues with the sidewall, but running mine at 10ps I have never had an issue and teh sidewalls still look good.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Granite Guru

+1 for MT/R. I have 35x12.5x15s (pretty true to size) that ride and drive just as smooth as the factory KMs on the highway, so far they have worn very even. They're awesome on the trail, lots of grip, pretty rigid sidewall when aired down to around 15 psi.
Can speak for the Nittos

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Last edited by sixstring; 04-21-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

MTR/k lightweight ,true size ,great on and off road performance
post #5 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

See this thread

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156753

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #6 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!

My experience with the MT/R's is that I have blown through sidewalls like crazy getting torn up in the rocks. Probably gone through 10 in the past year. Running 37's on 17" Raceline beadlocks and run typically 8-10 psi. The Toyos actually seem to be a better overall tire in my experience...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #7 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

Still on the same set of 40 mtr/k , been through 2 sets of wheels . tires are still kickin ass
post #8 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Granite Guru

They are both great tired - I had the mt/r's for almost 3 years - loved them!

I now have the Nitto's , much heavier and stiffer but I have bead locks and can air down to 7 lbs when I would have aired the GY to 10 lbs! The Nitto's seem more stable in the rocks and are a little quieter than the GY - my new favorite tire!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Rock God

I've run both on my rig and I'd take the nittos any day of the week over the mtr's. They are quieter, smoother, balance better, and flat out work in the woods. Not to mention the sidewalls are very strong. I cut 2 of my mtr's pretty badly, the nittos just laugh at rocks.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

You will also find that the MTR's aren't as close to a true 35" tire as the Nitto's are. (there are several threads on various forums about the actual size) so it is
something to keep in mind when it comes to tire weight - a contributor to the heavier weight of the Nitto's is the fact they are actually a slightly larger diameter tire than the MTR.

I can't do a direct comparison as I have no personal experience with the MTR's (although a lot of guys I wheel with run them) I've run 35's Nitto Trail Grapplers for 22k and have been impressed with their durability (it's all rock down here in AZ) as well as road manners. My plan is to go to 37's when these wear out and I will most likely go with the Nitto's again.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

34.8 is pretty close to 35 nitto and mtr/k
post #12 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

I have 17" rims so the 35" Nittos are E rated and simply too heavy for me. I'd have to regear. That said, they seems to be of very high quality. I just wish they made 17" tires in C rating. I like the MTRs that I run now but Goodyear has quality-control issues and too many don't balance well. They also cup fast!

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #13 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Random Dude

I ran 35x12.50R17 load range C MTR/Ks for 33,000 miles and had 30% tread left.
Just switched to the same size Nitto Trail Grapplers (load range E - heavy sumbiches for sure).

Both tires run true to size - you'll see 34.8", 34.75" unmounted, 34.5" mounted on both.
The Goodyears served me well, but the fookin' things are not as round or as balanced as the Nittos.
The Nittos are ROUND and I'm running them unbalanced on TR HD17 beadlocks with no issues.
The Nittos are definitely heavier, but they ride so much better otherwise. The extra weight is in important places, too.
I have to drop the load range E Nittos to 9 PSI to get the same sidewall flex the load range C Goodyears had at 12 PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
You will also find that the MTR's aren't as close to a true 35" tire as the Nitto's are. (there are several threads on various forums about the actual size)
This is bullshit forum hearsay. Ignore it. Most of the rest of what he said has merit, however.
The old MTRs ran small-ish, but the Kevlars are as true to size as any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I like the MTRs that I run now but Goodyear has quality-control issues and too many don't balance well. They also cup fast!
I did 5-tire rotations every 3000 miles, and my MTR/Ks had zero cupping after 33k miles.
(And I hauled ass around corners on the street).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
I've run both on my rig and I'd take the nittos any day of the week over the mtr's. They are quieter, smoother, balance better, and flat out work in the woods. Not to mention the sidewalls are very strong. I cut 2 of my mtr's pretty badly, the nittos just laugh at rocks.
I haven't had the chance to verify their durability yet, but everything SlvrJK said is pretty much gospel.

There's most of my 2 cents' worth. Ignore it as you see fit.
Not gonna' try to sell you the truth, 'cuz I'm givin' it away

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #14 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

Makes me wish even more for C-rated Nittos or Toyos. They would probably sell a ton of those.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode