Sorry... Another Trektop NX Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sorry... Another Trektop NX Question

I have been searching and reading for a couple of hours about this top. I can't seem to fin the answers to 3 questions I have. I was hoping someone here may be able to answer any of them.

1.) Do the rear support brackets that bolt to the factory bar interfere with the installation of the factory hard top? (any rubbing or clearance issues?)

2.) Do the rear support brackets that bolt to the factory bar interfere with the installation of the factory soft top? (any rubbing or clearance issues?)

3.) I am looking for a top I can fold up and toss in the rear cargo area under the Tuffy Tailgate Security Enclosure and deck cover with the soft doors. I only want to put the top on if it is too cold or starts raining. With the side bars, it looks like there is no way it will fit in the back of the Jeep with the side bows on. It appears that I can remove the side bows, which may make it a little more difficult to put the header bar on and obviously can't use the flip open options. Outside of that, has anyone run this top without those side bows? Any issues?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

Spaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
1.) Do the rear support brackets that bolt to the factory bar interfere with the installation of the factory hard top? (any rubbing or clearance issues?)
No.

Quote:
2.) Do the rear support brackets that bolt to the factory bar interfere with the installation of the factory soft top? (any rubbing or clearance issues?)
I don't think they would.

Quote:
3.) I am looking for a top I can fold up and toss in the rear cargo area under the Tuffy Tailgate Security Enclosure and deck cover with the soft doors. I only want to put the top on if it is too cold or starts raining. With the side bars, it looks like there is no way it will fit in the back of the Jeep with the side bows on. It appears that I can remove the side bows, which may make it a little more difficult to put the header bar on and obviously can't use the flip open options. Outside of that, has anyone run this top without those side bows? Any issues?
The side bows are what keeps the header bar pushed forward, tightening the fabric. Without them, I'm not sure you could push the header forward enough to latch it, or if it would latch correctly without the bars to hold it level and in place.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Okay cool. I appreciate the feedback. Any idea if it would fit in the rear storage area while assembled?

I noticed the side bows screw in to the header. I wonder if I can simply leave them unscrewed. Then the combo of the top being secured via the header and tension from the fabric should keep bows in while driving. When I take the top off, I can pull the bows out and secure them in the back with the rest of the top. When I want to put the top back on, I slide the bows back in during assembly so I can clamp the header down. Kind of like a tent long-pole concept.

Based on the brackets not being an issue, I may buy it and experiment with fitting it in the back while intact or trying to leave the bows unscrewed from the header. I'll wait a little while to see if anyone here may have tried it already and can provide feedback.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm not sure how the header would fit in the storage area, after all, it's as wide as the outside of the Jeep. I suppose that it might fit diagonally, but it would have to include ll of the roof fabric, as it's not easily removed from the header bar. The bar/fabric roll might fit diagonally with one end up behind or near the rear seat and the other tucked in between the rear roll bar mount and the rear of the tub....

As for removing the screws that hold the side bars in. That might work... you may have to come up with a way to keep the bars from sliding in too far, some sort of spacer inside the bar or the socket on the header....

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #5 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I used to stow my bikini top with the header attached under the deck cover on my JK, but I think the JKU doesn't has as much room with the seat up as the JK with the seat down. I may need to get creative with the bar/top as far as placement. What you mentioned is likely the only why it will work.

I didn't think about the point that the bow might slide too far in. Maybe a spacer or possibly put a set-screw in the header so the bow hits the screw. Something to think about for sure.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

Does anyone with the NX also have a spidershade installed? I have found that the straps on the NX that are supposed to be clamped onto the soundbar cant be installed. If anyone keeps their spidershade on I would like to know what you have done to fix this small issue.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWho View Post
Does anyone with the NX also have a spidershade installed? I have found that the straps on the NX that are supposed to be clamped onto the soundbar cant be installed. If anyone keeps their spidershade on I would like to know what you have done to fix this small issue.
I just made a small slit in the shade to allow running the straps through.

_

post #8 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Wheeler

I thought about that but was concerned with fraying...I wish spidershade would make it an option, they could do the velco closure like they do for the hardtop thumb screws holes
post #9 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I am getting ready to replace my OEM softop on my 2008 with a TrekTop NX and was also wondering about my spidershade.

I spoke with spidershade rep and was told on newer orders you can ask for them to add extra grommets for the Trektop straps. I might go that route since my spidershade is starting to show its age and the cost of a new one really isnt all that much. And I really would like the spidershade folks.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelsmith View Post
I am getting ready to replace my OEM softop on my 2008 with a TrekTop NX and was also wondering about my spidershade.

I spoke with spidershade rep and was told on newer orders you can ask for them to add extra grommets for the Trektop straps. I might go that route since my spidershade is starting to show its age and the cost of a new one really isnt all that much. And I really would like the spidershade folks.
Did they mention the size of the grommets? They have to be big enough to fit the clasp that comes on the top...The grommets that are already installed arent big enough (I think)
post #11 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Did they mention the size of the grommets? They have to be big enough to fit the clasp that comes on the top...The grommets that are already installed arent big enough (I think)

Not specifically.

He just said they add extra grommets that will allow you to use the new straps from the Trektop NX.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Wheeler

Some followup.

I finally got my Trektop NX installed w/ new Spiderweb shade that had the extra holes.

Worked out nicely.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

That's good to hear, I love that setup myself. I kept the trek top closed in front most of the time but it is great to flip it back on the trail and not have my bald head bake in the sun.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Wheeler

Yeah. The Trektop NX is the best soft top i have ever had spanning 3 jeeps.

And living in FL, I have always thought the spiderweb was one of the best things I ever got for the Jeep. Only made better by the fact that the company is local.

The two together = win.

Now to see if I can make the duster work with Trektop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode