BDS Suspension issues... please help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

BDS Suspension issues... please help

I have a 2014 jeep rubicon 4dr. just put some 37 mud grapplers on and a bds 4.5" lift with the dual stabilizer that I did for my wife.

it does not have a good ride. what do I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 - 2014 Jeep Rubicons
CDJR Dealer - Finance Manager
SEMA 2010
SEMA 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Be more specific. What was included with the lift ie control arms/track bars ?
Did you have a alignment ? (Post sheet if possible)

Tire psi ? (For a 37 is pretty low 22-25 ish)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

here is what I got

1 034411 Jk 4.5 In Front Coil Kit
1 034419 Jk 4.5 In Rear Coil Kit
1 014446 JK 4/4.5in Complete Box Kit
1 124314 12 Jeep JK Exhaust Extention Kit
1 124331 JK Front Fixed LCA Kit
1 124339 JK Rear Fixed LCA Kit
1 124320 JK Front Sway Bar Links
2 98224921 Fox 2.0 Shock 25.12 x 15.55 x 2- S50/EB1
2 98224959 Fox 2.0 Shock 27.95 x 17.35 x 2-BP18/EB1
1 55366 Dual Stabilizer Mounting Kit
2 95405 Steering Stabilizer Cylinder
1 124333 JK Front Adj UCA Kit

1 124403 Front Adjustable Track Bar
1 104002 Front Brake Lines
1 104006 Rear Brake Lines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 - 2014 Jeep Rubicons
SEMA 2010
SEMA 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

any help would be nice.

2 - 2014 Jeep Rubicons
SEMA 2010
SEMA 2014
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

What is your tire pressure? You should be around 25 lbs. Part of your issue is going to be the E load tire you are running. The Mud Grapplers are stiff.

I don't have experience with BDS, but nonadjustable control arms are usually a sign of cheaper lifts.

2013 JKUR
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyb View Post

You need to be more specific to get help......what exactly isn't good about the ride? Bump steer or death wobble? vibes? or just a stiff ride? How does it compare to other lifted jeeps you've ridden in?

Typically, a lifted jeep will have a harsher ride than stock. As the springs break in, they get a little better, but it's no caddy. Also, those tires are rough and stiff compared to stockers, so that doesn't help. If you have bump steer, or death wobble, or vibes, that can and should be fixed immediately. If it's just a rough ride.....well, the best fix is time and getting used to it....

You might do a little research on shocks, and how yours compare to other offerings. That might be the cheapest way to smooth out the ride a little.

2015 2dr Rubi, manual shift, windows, and door locks, love this thing
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyb View Post
I have a 2014 jeep rubicon 4dr. just put some 37 mud grapplers on and a bds 4.5" lift with the dual stabilizer that I did for my wife.

New shocks more than likely. Are they the nitro or hydro versions of the BDS shocks? Unbolt the shocks and bounce the Jeep. If it is still stiff as heck with the shocks disconnected get new coil springs with a softer rate. If it compresses easily without the shocks new shocks are in order.

Edit: Just saw that you have fox shocks. I would do what dirtman said and reduce the nitrogen pressure in the shocks. The off the self fox shocks are often a bit stiff just like the bilstein shocks. I had Zone 4" JKU coils on my JK at one point thay are likey the same ones as the BDS lift since they are the same company. The coils especially the fronts are quite stiff spring rate wise as they are only about 1.75" longer than factory JKU 18 coils yet they give around 4.5" of lift.

Last edited by Terminator2; 04-21-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM
JKO Addict!

I would look at a drag link flip kit up front and raise the rear track bar on the rear axle at least 4", the higher the better but you will have to check for up clearance. This will reduce bump steer up front and raise your roll center for better stability and less b ody roll both on the highway and off road. You will likely need to run some 3.5" extended bump stops up front the keep the drag link from hitting the frame.

You could drop the air pressure in the tires a bit and drop the nitrogen pressure in the shocks a little to soften them up a bit. Revalving the shocks may be needed as well to soften up the feel. Rock crawling valving is very close to street valving if you off road and will give you a better ride then the stiffer go fast valving that you find in the fox and bisltein shocks.

You could also run some front control arm drop brackets to flatten out the front lower control arms for a better ride. You would want to use factory length arms with the drop brackets.

37" mud grapplers in the 17" wheel size are an E rated tire and will give a rougher ride then a C or D rated tire and with the aggressive tread you should expect the ride to be a bit rough and noisy.

Good luck with your build, hope you get it worked out.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 04-20-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode