Please help with soft top install on 2008 JKU - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Please help with soft top install on 2008 JKU

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a used soft top for my 2008 JKU and have run into an issue with the install. I can't seem to figure out how to attach the top around the door surrounds. I can see on the top that there are some tabs but cannot tell where on the surrounds they are supposed to go. Doesn't look like there are any spaces large enough for the tabs.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I didn't realize there were different surrounds to be concerned about. Here are some additional pictures of them:

post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your questions. I did purchase each separately (top and surrounds). I do have the hard top currently.

What are the differences in the door surrounds? How can I confirm that I'm buying the correct surrounds?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get everything needed. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

^^^spot on-u have the first generation top with new style surrounds. Surrounds sb cheaper than a new top

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
Thank you @ Fklein6768 Live and learn.. we've went these same issues with two version of softops.. on two different jeep models. thou buying them "new" and out of the box, as well as having several parts departments telling us what we have will work, eventually didn't.. Trial and error.

This from my '08 soft top. Factory jeep that came with both tops.

There isn't something that you can remove from the frame?
It just looks like a rain gutter is in place where the soft top would go. Otherwise you need a new frame.

How is the rear window bar? Do you have and does that fit?

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Surrounds are not used with the hard top.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Rock God

So there's your answer. you have a pre 2010 softtop and 2010-14 door surrounds. Hopefully you can trade or sell these to get a matched set for the softtop.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Surrounds are not used with the hard top.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That is very true. There is no surrounds for a hard top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
So there's your answer. you have a pre 2010 softtop and 2010-14 door surrounds. Hopefully you can trade or sell these to get a matched set for the softtop.
This makes sense. I don't think it is the correct surround for the 2008 soft top. I wasn't sure what the difference could be. That is why I wondered if there was something more to this like something jammed into the slot where the soft top goes.

To the OP, That is a real problem you have there. I HOPE YOU CAN JUST GET THE PROPER SURROUNDS AND THAT THE REAR WINDOW IS FINE. I CAN GET YOU PART NUMBERS AS I HAVE THE ORIGINAL BOXES IF YOU WANT.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode