Soft top info needed please help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Soft top info needed please help

I have a 07 jku, I'm looking for a new soft top, I have a BESTOP on it now & don't like it. We just put my buddies soft top in his '12 yesterday for the first time. It looms petty much the same for mounting, bolt holes etc. but I'm seeing the factory tops are saying fitment is 2010 & newer for some of the OEM tops, but some aftermarket tops say 2007-2014. What's the differene and why won't a 2012 factory soft top fit my 2007?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

I think you have to make a small adjustment to the loop up front on the windshield. The body/body rails are the same. Should fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Granite Guru

which bestop do you have? I just installed a bestop trektop nx on my wifes jku and she loves it. great quality and easy to install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 M&M Offroad triplethreat buggy #27

'00 s10
LQ4 6.0, 42s, 1 tons, etc.....RIP

'07 LBZ
Fleece Performance built
dyno'd 518/1040

'08 JKUR (detonator yellow)
35" Duratracs
wifes rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I think you have to make a small adjustment to the loop up front on the windshield. The body/body rails are the same. Should fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
RIGHT ON..... I actually just got it on and found that its just short on the front loop. It latches without the back tucked in but when the back is tucked in first she won't latch. I'm letting it get some sun and hopefully warm a bit. I got another friends new top he didnt install yet. im hoping he'll sell it to me. Thanks.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tfrot View Post
which bestop do you have? I just installed a bestop trektop nx on my wifes jku and she loves it. great quality and easy to install.
Not sure it came with my jeep, not a nx. Has frame system and front screws in at windshield. It will be for sale very soon.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
Having been a Bestop fan for a number of years.. I found that just recently Bestop has been falling down on the job.. We've went from a Halftop (full system) on our 99 to a full OEM on our 08. Last spring we finally opted for the Bestop Halftop system again. But this time it was way different.. Consisting of three different parts.. Bikini, Jammer & Duster.. we just found that it works.. but only after a few of our own modification.. What is happening here, is that we (the new/user) jeep buyer are left to clean up others mistakes. Apparently the previous owner wasn't to sure of what he/she needed when attaching the bestop system.
By your description.. I feel you may actually have the wrong header for your current Bestop.. The reasoning there is a difference in swapping/switching tops is mainly the bracket hardware and surround options.. The date fall into this category:
  • 07-010
  • 011 - Current

In light of this.. when ordering hardware or new softops online.. Double, Triple make sure it is and will fit your application. I've even had a unnamed parts department tell me that I didn't need a particular header channel, when I actually did.
That would be 2007-09 old style, 2010 to current new style.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbanone View Post
I have a 07 jku, I'm looking for a new soft top, I have a BESTOP on it now & don't like it. We just put my buddies soft top in his '12 yesterday for the first time. It looms petty much the same for mounting, bolt holes etc. but I'm seeing the factory tops are saying fitment is 2010 & newer for some of the OEM tops, but some aftermarket tops say 2007-2014. What's the differene and why won't a 2012 factory soft top fit my 2007?
Thanks
A 2012 top will fit your 2007 you just need all the hardware from the new top as well...07-14 they all fit just use the age appropriate hardware for the top, not the Jeep. Make sense? Its early

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Wheeler

'10+ tops use a cable retainer system and have springs for lift assist. The door surrounds are different between '07-'09 and '10+. If you get a complete kit with surrounds and hardware for a '10+ you'll be in good shape. I put a '14 on my '07 and like the new retainer system over the plastic tuck system that came on it. It's easier to open and close and quicker too. I believe also that the windows may be bigger. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick13JKUR View Post
A 2012 top will fit your 2007 you just need all the hardware from the new top as well...07-14 they all fit just use the age appropriate hardware for the top, not the Jeep. Make sense? Its early
This plus I will add one more thing....

I have a 2009 and installed a new in the box soft top from 2007...there is a slight change in the footman loop position between years. I just needed to remove the center footman loop to make the 07 soft top work on my 09. (the footman loop will need to be re-installed whenever I put my hard top back on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode