Tire Carrier - save $ w/ TF or Full bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tire Carrier - save $ w/ TF or Full bumper

I just purchased new wheels and will be getting new tires as well. I don't like the idea of having the new wheel and bigger tire on the stock tire carrier. So I was looking at two options.

Since I will be spending a chunk of money on wheels and tires, I could go the cheaper (money not product) route and go with the Teraflex hinge and spare tire adjuster.

OR

I can just go ahead and get the whole shooting match by purchasing a JCR full width rear bumper with shield tire carrier.

Difference would be spending roughly about $640 versus $1,300.

What do ya think? I think I may be leaning towards the TF route since I can either add whatever bumper I want later or I should be able to easily sell it later if I want to go the full bumper/carrier route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG00 View Post
What do ya think? I think I may be leaning towards the TF route since I can either add whatever bumper I want later or I should be able to easily sell it later if I want to go the full bumper/carrier route.
I think you answered your question.
It's the route I went.
Originally, I had planned to build a tire carrier/box for the bed, but there's that interim time between...
Thinking about it, minus the adjustable carrier, the hinge bracket is plenty beefy(and drilled/tapped) for accessories so it kinda has it's own usage value aside from a tire carrier.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

There are a good $$$!!!!

I would like to see a video on it with 37 inch tire on there going though the desert to see if it has any play!!

I have an old fab4 rear bumper I tire shakes all the time ....

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Rock God

If you plan on getting a rear bumper down the road, get the bumper and tire carrier you want now. If you think you will use the plastic bumper out back forever then get the TF carrier.

I went with the AEV tire carrier and ran that with the stock bumper for a few years, but after tearing up the back bumper every time I went offroad I realized I could either become a better driver (which wasn't going to happen) or I could get a bumper. Due to teh tire carrier I went with I ended up AEV for the bumper, but the moral of the story is spend money on what you want up front.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #5 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Granite Guru

I have been researching these for a while. Expedition One, JCR, Shrockworks, LOD Offroad, AEV, Poison Spyder, and JCR...these are the ones I kept on my shortlist. The AEV and Expedition One are my top 2 now. I do have the Teraflex carrier/hinges. Not that crazy about the AEV bumper, and probably because I owned one already and never used the water tanks and it is a bulky bumper.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #6 of 20 Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

There are lots of good options for tire carriers although my personal experience are the tire carriers not connected to the bumper are a better option due to rattles. Also, if you do get rear ended as some jeepers have, you dont have to replace the entire setup. I have been running the GR tire carrier with a locking hitch pin to secure it three going on four years....one of the reasons I like it best is that the tire sits on the inside of the carrier so less likely to have any impact/damage to the spare tire. Doesn't mean it can't happen but less likely.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG00 View Post
I just purchased new wheels and will be getting new tires as well. I don't like the idea of having the new wheel and bigger tire on the stock tire carrier. So I was looking at two options.

Since I will be spending a chunk of money on wheels and tires, I could go the cheaper (money not product) route and go with the Teraflex hinge and spare tire adjuster.

OR

I can just go ahead and get the whole shooting match by purchasing a JCR full width rear bumper with shield tire carrier.

Difference would be spending roughly about $640 versus $1,300.

If you go with the Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier and Adjustable Mount, and you adjust everything so that the tire sits firmly against the tailgate snubbers, it is a great spare tire mount choice. A lot of people are really happy with them. And think of all the other Jeep parts you can get with the left over $$!

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off-Road Outfitters

Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!

PM me for our JKOwners Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
post #8 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Wheeler

Mag00, let me know if you are interested in the JCR set up. I can give you a quote. Their Shield tire carrier is a nice set up along with the Vanguard rear bumper.

-Dan
post #9 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

I may be wrong (and I am picky) but JCR is not using zinc primer under their powdercoat. That kills it for me...will look at other bumpers. Exp One is coming out with a Core (shorter) series that will take the carrier later. I'd prefer the fullsize but then have to protect the spindle somehow. I like the LOD and Shrockworks too, but they are standalone bumpers.

I am going to use the Teraflex carrier/hinges for now. I took the stock hinges out and sanded/primed. May install the hinge setup on Friday.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Went the cheaper/minimal route with the Teraflex hinge and EVO MFG d-ring mounts. Still need to add the Teraflex adjustable mount. Only cons is I see people tagging their spare on drop offs, so not sure how the hinge/tailgate would handle that and the exposed corners on the tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I ran the Hinged Carrier on my JKU with both a heavy 35" Toyo MT and a heavy 37" MTZ. It handled both like a champ and I never had any rattles.

I went to a bumper/tire carrier setup for a while but didn't like opening two gates to get into the cargo area and I ended up buying a second hinged carrier.

My rear bumper was a Poison Spyder Rock Brawler and I thought the combo looked pretty sharp. There are a number of people with that setup actually.

Marcus

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #12 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sounds like most of the pros and cons have been covered except the one that has been the most frustrating to me. I have the TF hinge and HD tire carrier (with a home-built PSC Rock Brawler knockoff). It's a quality setup and I have no complaints with rattles, etc.

When I bought mine, the Hi-lift mounts were still unavailable so I built my own. They have one available now.

My difficulty with this setup is mounting a Jerry Can carrier of any kind. There's just nothing to attach to. The TF Hi-Lift carrier is made to accept a RotoPax if you want to bolt the bracket to the jack beam, but that's not an acceptable option IMO. Who wants to break out the wrenches just to be able to use the Hi-Lift? And the RotoPax are also too much money for what you get IMO. I May go to version 3 on my Hi-Lift mounting and move it off the hinge just so I can mount a fuel can. Don't really want to but I may have to. So, bottom line, if mounting accessories, etc., to your tire carrier is something you think you'll want to do, I would not recommend depending on the TF setup.

Another consideration with the TF hinge is that if you ever intend to add Poison Spyder or AEV corner armor, you'll have to modify them to fit around the larger body side of the TF hinge. They're made with a bulge that surrounds the factory hinge and the TF is much bigger (and not the same proportions, so the corner ends up looking a little odd IMO once it's trimmed).

My .02. Proceed as you choose, armed with the facts.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 04-16-2014 at 12:24 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru

Fortunately, the TF hinge/carrier setup is easy to sell if needed. It is a very popular setup. I am "working from home" on Friday and hope to get it installed. I believe the TF hinges are powder coated, so I don't think they need to have any additional paint put on them, like I did on the sheet metal. I have the hinges, the carrier, and the 3rd brake light extension. I may also get the Rotopax mount after this is all set up.

post #14 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post

Another consideration with the TF hinge is that if you ever intend to add Poison Spyder or AEV corner armor, you'll have to modify them to fit around the larger body side of the TF hinge. They're made with a bulge that surrounds the factory hinge and the TF is much bigger (and not the same proportions, so the corner ends up looking a little odd IMO once it's trimmed).

My .02. Proceed as you choose, armed with the facts.
I trimmed my Psc corners to fit. Wasn't too bad and doesn't look bad IMO. Probably could have trimmed them a little more, but it works how it is. You do have trim it a lot though.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #15 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't say enough good things about the ACE Engineering rear bumper with tire carrier. I'd put it up against any of the manufacturers out there.
- EXCELLENT build quality (not a single rattle)
- Heavy Duty
- Tire carrier works with the tailgate (don't have to open two gates)
- Comes powdercoated where most others come bare metal
- Great customer service
- Easy install
- 6" LED light provisions available (mine are installed now)
- Best price in the industry

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #16 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Granite Guru

i would have gone with the ace bumper since i think it looks pretty cool, but its also very happy. I didn't want to dump a ton of extra weight on my setup so I ended up sticking with the stock bumper and getting the teraflex hinge.

Super easy to install and no complaints whatsoever. I actually think the tailgate looks cool with the added supports on it
post #17 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8417 View Post
i would have gone with the ace bumper since i think it looks pretty cool, but its also very happy. I didn't want to dump a ton of extra weight on my setup so I ended up sticking with the stock bumper and getting the teraflex hinge.

Super easy to install and no complaints whatsoever. I actually think the tailgate looks cool with the added supports on it
You don't have to worry about weight if you have a quality lift. You're talking about MAYBE 100lbs at the most depending on what rear non-carrier bumper you go with.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #18 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Rock God

i just modded my tire carrier to hinge off of the tailgate using an Expedition One tailgate mount.
Now i just unlatch the tire carrier and just open the tailgate with tire carrier all together.

short vid. http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...988ac.mp4.html

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #19 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

I went TF spare carrier because I was not ready for (and may never be) an aftermarket rear bumper, but I was ready for rims and 35's. At the time my research proved the cost of the TF plus a quality steel bumper without a carrier was equal to or a little less than a good bumper with a carrier that moved with the gate(a must for me). I see no reason for you to spend for a bumper with carrier at this time when you can get the TF and may find it is all you need or want.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #20 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Rock God

315 Duratrac using the lowest stud mount location.
I slightly altered TF's 3rd light arrangement. It's behind the wheel.

Last edited by funfred; 07-12-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode