Front axle upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Front axle upgrade

Hey everyone. Couple of questions for those of you who know about axle swaps:

I was involved in a front-end collision, noting too serious, but the axle needs to be replaced.

Rig is a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport "s". Auto...

My front axle (Dana 30 with 3.21 gears) was bent in the process. I am considering upgrading to the D44, but curious about a couple of things.

1. what can i expect in a price difference from a brand new D30 with 3.21 to a brand new D44 with 3.21?

2. Other than the axle, is there ANYTHING else i will need to swap out (steering stabilizer, suspension - anything?...)

I need to make a decision ASAP on this, so i would appreciate if anyone who has actual knowledge of this can weigh in (not trying to be a d-bag, but a lot of us here in the community love to go into the "it's my understanding that..." or "there shouldnt be anything..." or "you might need..." - i really need advice from someone whose been there/done that already).

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
JKO Addict!

I don't think you'll be able to get a front Dana 44 with 3.21s. Are you looking to run a factory E-locker? Given the housing is bent, I'd consider replacing the tie rod and drag link as well, though it's not required.

I'm not sure what the pricing is, but you'll need the housing, gears, bearings, diff cover, axle shafts, locker wiring [if applicable] to make the swap.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Rock God

How much $ do you have to put forward on a front axle?

Like Goody said your prob not going to find a D44 with 3:21's so you would likely be looking at upgrading your rear gearing to 4:10 atleast (depends on what the front axle is geared to). So assume an extra 500+ for gears install kit and install.

What are your plans for your jeep? Any future mods planned?

I don't know how much you have to put towards a new front axle but if you absolutely need something now, you should look at a used cheap D30. Id check junkyards and Craigslist as well as the classifieds here to find one cheap. Then put the extra $ toward a 44 and rear Gears/locker/install eventually. Again, depends on what your planning for future mods.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Same thing happened to me, I went $3k out of pocket to get a built ProRock44.

Good luck on whatever you decide, but definitely make sure your steering gearbox is still good.. Mine was taken out in the accident with my front axle, so dont forget to have it checked out too.

More Cowbell
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll end up having to re-gear the rear axle as these guys mentioned before.

Also remember if you're going to buy a Mopar 44 housing from the dealer (insurance/body shop will probably require new parts) you'll also need gears, master install kit, axle shafts, E-Locker or upgraded ARB with 35 spline axle shafts, ect, ect. I would say you'll spend about $5000 on a 44 setup and ready to run.

Teraflex offers a D30 heavy duty housing that would give you a substantial upgrade to the housing, but your weakest link will still be in the pumpkin.

If your insurance company is being nice I say go for the 44. If you're dealing with a budget and can swing it, the stock 30 housings can be found at a very reasonable price.

Marcus

post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Same thing happened to me. Make sure the body shop & adjuster look closely at the gear box, draglink, and tierod as mentioned above. They all got replaced by the insurance.

I had the check issued to me. I had my jeep at a 4x4 shop and had the evo draglink flip kit ordered up along with a Rough Stuff tierod and OEM gearbox. There was only $150-$200 difference IIRC.

The housing needed to be replaced for bent LCA mounts twisted and bent tube. The 4x4 shop argued that the R&P should be replaced and add an overhaul kit because "there could be micro cracks in the gear teeth and they could fail. Possibly catastrophically.'' After a few calls the adjuster agreed to replace the entire housing & gears, with overhaul kit. The adjuster even said the dealership he called recommended a new carrier due to the accident, so he included it in his too.

I got a used D44 (timing is everything). I think total out of pocket for the front end was about $1k. Oh, and I that included the ACE fender flares. The stock OEM fender from the dealer is $$$. According to the estimate, it was just over $300 for the flare, support, and hardware.

Good luck.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode