Evo vs Rockhard 4x4 skids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Evo vs Rockhard 4x4 skids

Im lookig at getting a few skids. I have a 2011 2 door and im running all stock skids. Im looking at Evo Protek Skid Systems or the Rock hard Oil Pan, Transmission & Dual Catalytic Converter Skid Plate with a Poison Spyder crossmember. Whats the best bang for my buck?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

I went through that same process of researching skids recently. Considered them all. I ended up going with TNT because they offered the most coverage, including protection for that 360 degree exhaust loop that is very vulnerable, at a reasonable price. The also include those tapered bolt head protectors, as does Rock Hard.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Nothing against EVO, but I'd do the Rock Hard if those were my choices. I ran the EVO skids on my JKU and I would prefer the separated skids if I did it again vs the oil pan cover.

Rebel has posted some good photos of the Rock Hard skids over the years if you're looking for something more visual than RH's website for making an educated decision.

Check out Synergy as well. Their HD skids incorporate the replacement cross member. I have their gas tank skid on my two door now and the rest of the skids are waiting in the corner. I like that their gas tank skid replaces the factory skid if you've already destroyed it. Most others just cover it up.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Check out JCR they make some solid stuff! Skids included.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/
post #5 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Granite Guru

The main deciding factor for me was that the Rock Hard doesn't attach to the oil pan like the evo does. I'd much rather transfer the force from slamming on a rock onto my engine mounts than the engine itself.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr002 View Post
The main deciding factor for me was that the Rock Hard doesn't attach to the oil pan like the evo does. I'd much rather transfer the force from slamming on a rock onto my engine mounts than the engine itself.
This is true of the TNT skids as well.

The Synergy skids are great. But you need to mortgage the house to afford them.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
I went through that same process of researching skids recently. Considered them all. I ended up going with TNT because they offered the most coverage, including protection for that 360 degree exhaust loop that is very vulnerable, at a reasonable price. The also include those tapered bolt head protectors, as does Rock Hard.

I have 4 JKs with TNT skids. All are aluminum to save weight. Weight is the enemy of a jk.

Rexy's have been seriously abused yet are holding up very well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

I'll sell you my rock hard skids for cheap if interested. I have the full set for 2 dr. They are well used but still fully functional. They worked well for me, but changed my suspension design so they no longer fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #9 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

I very rarely recommend buying what's cheapest, but skids are one exception. Buy the cheapest engine skid you can find with a reasonable design - like the $109 E-Autogrilles one on Ebay (which is a Rock Hard ripoff) and the cheapest HD x-member you can buy, which is probably Rough Country, and have at it. They are skids, and the magical pixie dust prices some charge just doesn't make sense for a piece of metal bent and drilled in a few places. I say that coming from a full Synergy setup that cost $1700, it was a bombproof skid set but now I've got cheapies and they still protect what they are supposed to for 1/5 of the price.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #10 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Granite Guru

1700? Holy hell

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #11 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I very rarely recommend buying what's cheapest, but skids are one exception. Buy the cheapest engine skid you can find with a reasonable design - like the $109 E-Autogrilles one on Ebay (which is a Rock Hard ripoff) and the cheapest HD x-member you can buy, which is probably Rough Country, and have at it. They are skids, and the magical pixie dust prices some charge just doesn't make sense for a piece of metal bent and drilled in a few places. I say that coming from a full Synergy setup that cost $1700, it was a bombproof skid set but now I've got cheapies and they still protect what they are supposed to for 1/5 of the price.

X2 MORE has a cheap setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

Rock Hard 4x4 all day long and twice on Sunday.

James has invested more R&D than any other manufacturer we deal with when it comes to skids. He even provisions them if we are installing them on a Wrangler with a long arm suspension so there is no fitment issues with aftermarket brackets.

The bolt head "dome" protectors are genius, and his powdercoat is extra thick on his skids.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'll be at Jeep Beach so I'll take a look at a few while I'm down there. Thanks everyone.

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
post #14 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

I totally agree Rick Hard makes Great stuff! even when he was owner of Jeeperman. Im glad the quality followed.

JCR's stuff doesnt bolt to the engine or pan either. They also mount at the eng mounts like RH and the old Jeepmedic stuff.

I picked up a used JCR eng and exhaust skid. Great price. New the price is still Great for those on a budget.

The domed washers are easy tho.
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/dome-washers.html
post #15 of 16 Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Wheeler

Another Rock Hard 4x4 here... Price, coverage, and quality... Yep

-Eric

Call us 774-826-9948
post #16 of 16 Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

Rockhard x15 - Doesn't attach to the oil pan, and much easier to install/remove than the evo. Downside is that it doesn't protect the exhaust loop for 12+ jks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode