Now for Tires..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now for Tires.....

I think I have my wheels decided on. Now for the tires.

First a little info:
  • My rig is a 2013 JKU with a 2.5 RK Max Travel lift and Rancho 9000 shocks
  • It is my daily driver
  • Terrain is mostly dirt, logging roads/trails, and mud. Not a lot of rock krawling around my town. Although there is some opportunity for some not too far off.
  • Most of my driving is pavement. Mixed city and highway.
  • Looking to go with a 35x12.50R17 or a 315/70R17 size tire

Ties on my short list:
  • Nitto Trail Grappler in a 315/70R17 because it is D rated ( a little lighter and not as stiff sidewall)
  • Goodyear Dura Trac 315/70R17
  • Fierce Attitude MT 35x12.50R17
Based upon the above, what would you go with. If there is another tire that you would highly recommend over these, then please let me know specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Rock God

I'm running a set of the Nitto Trail Grapplers and a set of Fierce Attitude's. I'm happy with both. They are good all around tires.
post #3 of 34 Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

There is also a the Kelly Safari TSR, it is similar to the Fierce and Duratrac. All 3 are made by Goodyear. I ran the Kelly's and loved them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kelly-Safa...R17-8/17792735

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG00 View Post
I think I have my wheels decided on. Now for the tires.

First a little info:
  • My rig is a 2013 JKU with a 2.5 RK Max Travel lift and Rancho 9000 shocks
  • It is my daily driver
  • Terrain is mostly dirt, logging roads/trails, and mud. Not a lot of rock krawling around my town. Although there is some opportunity for some not too far off.
  • Most of my driving is pavement. Mixed city and highway.
  • Looking to go with a 35x12.50R17 or a 315/70R17 size tire

Ties on my short list:
  • Nitto Trail Grappler in a 315/70R17 because it is D rated ( a little lighter and not as stiff sidewall)
  • Goodyear Dura Trac 315/70R17
  • Fierce Attitude MT 35x12.50R17
Based upon the above, what would you go with. If there is another tire that you would highly recommend over these, then please let me know specifics.
If you are going on trails when it is muddy I would go for an MT. Also be sure to add a set of C-gussets when you go up to 35's.

And if you get into rock crawling be prepared to want 37's a few months later
post #5 of 34 Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Wheeler

Take a look at Cooper Discover STTs. Been running them since BFG mts needed to be replaced. Fairly economical, perform really well in mud, snow, dirt.

Flame red JK 08
Hard Top/Soft top
Sahara Side Steps
Maglite Mod on drivers seat
Jeep entry guards
Front tow hooks
Drilled mirrors
Outlaw mirrors for doors off running
KC Slimlites Longrange windshield mounted
Husky floor mats (front)
K&N drop in air filter
Trek Armor seat covers Black on Black
8" shorty antenna
Cobra 75WX ST with 48" Firestick
Gibson exhaust
Cooper Discoverer STT 35's
PROCOMP Extreme 7189 wheels
Tereflex 2.5" coil lift
JKS Quick Discos
post #6 of 34 Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
There is also a the Kelly Safari TSR, it is similar to the Fierce and Duratrac. All 3 are made by Goodyear. I ran the Kelly's and loved them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kelly-Safa...R17-8/17792735

-Dan
I have the TSR's, 60k miles on them and still 3/8 inch deep tread! I love them but the isuse is they are on backorder and nearly impossible to get right now, as I am trying to scare up a set of 285/70/17's.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Any more votes / input.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm really having a tough time deciding on tires. From one perspective, since it is my daily driver and it see a lot of pavement I think the GY DuraTrac route would be best. However, I can't get out of my head the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I think they would perform better in the mud and I've heard good things about their toughness balancing easy. But I've also heard they are heavier and I'm afraid they will be louder than the Duratracs. Arrrgggg! Can't decide.

My discount tire salesman seemed to be pushing the Nitto somewhat. Of course they are more expensive. Hmmmm?
post #9 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

If ride quality is a concern, the Trail Grapplers are Load Range E. I didn't take that into account when I bought mine. I'll be looking at the MTR/K's (Load Range C) when the TG's wear out. However, the TG's look great and perform well on the trail.

2012 JKUR - Curb Crawler
RE 3.5" Springs/AEV Drop Brackets/Teraflex Monster Trackbar/Rancho RS9000 Shocks
Full Metal Fabworks Apex Bumpers and Solution Plate
Rugged Ridge Wheels with 37" BFG AT KO2's - TeraFlex Front BBK - Poison Spyder 50" windshield mounts with LED bar - Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer
post #10 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Wheeler

My tire guy was pushing me toward the fierce tires until I showed him the GT grabbers. Then through tirerack you can get 5 shipped to your door for about 1500. He couldn't touch that price for a complete set.

Last edited by SLJK; 04-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Rock God

out of what you listed I would suggest the duratracs. I had duratracs before my trail grapplers. they were excellent on road tires, did well on trails and did really well in the mud (to my surprise). they will last the longest on road versus the other two.

my trail grapplers do all that plus kick ass on rocks, which the duratracs just couldnt do (the reason why I got rid of them).

a friend of mine had the fierce attitudes and said good stuff about em, but them being a m/t they simply wont last as long as the duratracs.
post #12 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I'm having the same internal debate. I just got wheels, now the focus is on tires. I really like the look of MT tires, who doesn't? They are noisy, rough, and take a dump on gas mileage in many cases. I have been doing more interstate travel and light trail rides lately and that probably won't change much because I can't afford to break jack and squat right now. (Buying a new house has me tied up financially.) I have been leaning heavily towards the Toyo Open Country AT II in the XT version or the Falken Wild Peaks. Both get great reviews, do well in many different types of terrain, and are less expensive than comp size MT tires. Plus more quiet and less rolling resistance.

You really need to be certain about the terrain you plan on wheelin. But some AT's can handle most terrains well if you chose the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I went with the Nitto's. I haven't got to run them yet because I am in the process of getting everything ready to install. I went with the 315/70/17 due to they are an D rated tire and not a E rated tire. I am mostly highway driving as well and am hoping that it will give a little better ride than the E rated tire, but probably not a whole lot with the type of tires they are. And plus if you ever need to air down and D rated tire I have read they flex more than the E rated tire. Good luck
post #14 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjk07 View Post
I went with the Nitto's. I haven't got to run them yet because I am in the process of getting everything ready to install. I went with the 315/70/17 due to they are an D rated tire and not a E rated tire. I am mostly highway driving as well and am hoping that it will give a little better ride than the E rated tire, but probably not a whole lot with the type of tires they are. And plus if you ever need to air down and D rated tire I have read they flex more than the E rated tire. Good luck
Yea, if I go with the Nittos this is exactly what I was looking at 315/70R17 D rated.

On the Nittos, I have read that they are tough and balance well and I think they would maybe perform better in the mud versus the GY duratracs. But I know they are a little heaver and with this being my daily driver and on pavement a lot, I'm not so sure the duratracs wouldn't be better. Decisions....decisions...
post #15 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Given your choices and the expected use, I'd go with Duratracs.
The other two appear to be more off-road aggressive but it's not like the Duratracs can't hold their own there.

The deciding factor for me would be the on-road usage. More siping in the Duratracs should make for better wet road traction.
I've seen it rain in TX. You don't want to be short in that department when the time arises.

As far as my opinion, I've used none of 'em, yet. I recently bought Duratracs for similar usage. It's generally more wet in PA than out West and I wanted more than an AT but not as much as an MT.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

i spent the money and got a set of MTZ's , mickey thompson tires are really incredable. they are wearing better than i had expected, are quiet in comparison to all my friends tires, and are comfortable at that. they all balanced well, and stay balanced quite a bit. MT also puts out some AT's that are getting incredable reviews, dont limit your options because what you offroad in now may change in the future, just as your setup may.

Good Luck!
post #17 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I think since my ride is my daily driver and see a lot of pavement that the duratracs may be the way to go. However, how do the duraTracs perform in the mud? Where I am at we can have anything from:

- Red Clay in which you don't sink much, but you will slide and your tires have got to clear to keep any traction.

- Silty mud in which you can sink

- Softer/fatter clay that will really stick to ya.

Would the Fierce Attitudes be a bit of a compromise to get better mud performance?
post #18 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I think since my ride is my daily driver and see a lot of pavement that the duratracs may be the way to go. However, how do the duraTracs perform in the mud? Where I am at we can have anything from:

- Red Clay in which you don't sink much, but you will slide and your tires have got to clear to keep any traction.

Would the Fierce Attitudes be a bit of a compromise to get better mud performance?
I had the Kelly Safari TSR, which is nearly identical to the Duratrac. Even though they are rated as an A/T, they have big deep lugs, almost like an M/T tread. They perform well in mud. The Fierce is called an M/T so I imagine it has a stiffer/stronger sidewall but the tread design is similar to the TSR and Duratrac.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #19 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Neither of those tires do well in the red clay, white clay and black soft mud or silty mud we have here in Citrus County Florida. I would say this is the same type of conditions you are seeing. MT Baja MTZs because of similar tread design are horrible offroad here as well.

IMHO the best tire for a DD that sees mud and clay are Nitto Trail Grapplers. Mine are very quiet, balanced well with little weight, ride well onroad and are dead smooth with no lug slap at low speeds either, they also get good fuel mileage considering how huge they are. Offroad, they do well in deep sand, mud, and nasty clay. They clean out well and have very good flotation even at street pressure.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post
i spent the money and got a set of MTZ's , mickey thompson tires are really incredable. they are wearing better than i had expected, are quiet in comparison to all my friends tires, and are comfortable at that. they all balanced well, and stay balanced quite a bit. MT also puts out some AT's that are getting incredable reviews, dont limit your options because what you offroad in now may change in the future, just as your setup may.

Good Luck!
When I had 35s they were MTZ awesome on road handling and mud traction was amazing ...http://youtu.be/vJ1BnU2xvWg MTZ IN THE MUD!!!! Towing a cummins with the Jk

Last edited by GSLSE21B; 04-14-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #21 of 34 Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLSE21B View Post
When I had 35s they were MTZ awesome on road handling and mud traction was amazing ...http://youtu.be/vJ1BnU2xvWg MTZ IN THE MUD!!!! Towing a cummins with the Jk
Yea, I just was checking these out as well. I know Mickey Thompson typically has always had a good reputation and I always thought that they more expensive. But what I just looked up seems to not be the case in regards to price point.

I guess I'll have to put these on my radar as well.
post #22 of 34 Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Good Luck!
I am not a Mickey Thompson fan. I had little 33" Baja Claw radials on my GMC pickup and I hated them. They were the worst tires ever except they did have good tread wear. They got horrible mileage for how tiny they were I lost 3 MPG vs the stock tires and these were less than half an inch taller than stock. They were very very loud, like almost super swamper loud going down the highway, they were terrible in the mud and clay we have, and they did not do well in the sugar sand we have here at all either. In the mud and clay, they clog and do not clear well, and in sand they dig to china and go no where but down until you are stuck.
I know their are a few youtube videos showing guys with MTZs and Fierce attitudes on JKs wheeling where I wheel and those tires are useless in the heavy clay. They turn to slicks.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I've run MTRs, KM2s, Trail Grapplers, and MTZs specifically on JKs and was most happy with my MTZs. Once aired down to about 12 PSI they grabbed the rocks great, but I can't comment on mud because I stay as far away from it as possible. They rode very nice on the street and they wore well too. Definitely not a bad tire to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 34 Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I read some comments on the Mickey Thompson MTZs. What if I threw the Mickey Thompson MTZ in the mix? Appears to have a 3 ply sidewall, reputable company, not as heavy as the Nitto trail grapplers as their website states approx. wt. 68lbs.

Any more comments on these i.e. wear, noise, etc.?
post #25 of 34 Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Granite Guru

I had the 315/17 MTZ radial .. Road handling was great. Mud ,rocks ,clay ,sand all A+ 10psi was the usual I ran .. 20k miles on them then sold and went to 40mtrs .. If they had a 40/17 in the MTZ I would have bought them.. Noise , yes they give the usual mud tire sound .. Mtr, bfg mt , definitely not bogger or tsl sounding ... You will not be disappointed with the MTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode