New 2014 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New 2014

Hi all, I posted last weekend about picking up a used 2010 JK but once I went to pick it up I changed my mind. The dealer had just finished installing a lift, wheels and tires on a 2014 Dune and I fell in love. Long story short, I am now driving a 2014 JK 4 door Oscar Mike Edition with a 3.5 inch Mopar lift wit 35/12.50 on AEV wheels. I love this Dune color with the Black Hardtop and Black interior. I would post some pics but I don't know how. Now that I have already bought it, are there any issues I need to watch out for? My first mod needs to be side steps for the kids, my son fell out of it this weekend. I have factory rock sliders so I'm not sure what I want or need. I don't ever plan on taking it rock climbing but definitely trail riding and mud bogging. I also need a soft top for rain and tube doors, any suggestions? I am also concerned about the 35's on the Dana 30, will it handle them? Should I regear for the 35's, currently running 3.73 with the 5 speed automatic? I'm sure I will have more questions later but this is enough for now.

Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Scott Welcome,

You really don't need to regear, the jeep will be fine for what you want out of it. I would look into getting upper C gussets for that D30, people have bent their Cs in the past w/ 35s. There is a huge market for steps so just start looking and find some you like, reselling those sliders should be easy.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks AZ.

Ok, I know I haven't had this thing long but second gear scares me (auto). I have around 365 miles on her and if I am in the throttle a little aggressive the trans holds 2nd gear for a long time before it shifts, I sometimes have to left out of it completely to get it to shift. If I drive normal it shifts fine. Am I worried for nothing? Does she have to go through a learning mode or am I supposed to drive it a certain way for it to learn? I know I am probably over thinking this stuff but it is my first new vehicle in a long time.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by rsjohnsn; 04-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

You should definitely try a ProCal....straightened my shift points right out. Easy to operate too and only $149.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

I would add a front axle truss from Artek industries also along with the C gussets. It's only $100 which to me is super cheap insurance and is very well made. Had mine installed and my buddy drug his feet about doing it to his mom's '12 JKU sport and while wheeling at the sand dunes it got bent. No dealer support as they said it was abused. Ended up a $3000 insurance claim to cover a new Dana 30.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanwolf2005 View Post
You should definitely try a ProCal....straightened my shift points right out. Easy to operate too and only $149.
Definitely get a procal, or a tuner - this will smooth out the shifting. Afterwards you may want to regear anyway, but the procal/tuner will help whether you stay with the 3.73's or go for a swap.

As far as c's and a truss, at the minimum, do the C's.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

I disagree with these guys. I would highly suggest re-gear to at least 4.56.

Also you do not need a truss, you can put some c-gussets for some added protection from bending your c’s but other than that you aren’t going to be doing anything to justify the expense of a truss (parts/labor). The D30 is fine.

Which “stage” of Mopar lift is it? That will tell you if it came with things like control arms or trackbars..

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

If a programmer like Superchips is available for 2014, I would get that first. It will fix your shifting point problem and add a little HP. And in the event you want to regear, you'll need it to program your gear ratio or else your jeep will go into limp mode.

Watch Craigslist for Sahara step takeoffs. I've seen them go for around $150 or you can get ace sliders which clear the factory rails and could also serve as a step.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Which “stage” of Mopar lift is it? That will tell you if it came with things like control arms or trackbars..

-Dan
I'm not sure what stage the lift is but it has Fox shocks with aux reservoirs and limiting straps. The upper and lower bars say Mopar on them also. What else would tell you what stage it is?

2014 JK Unlimited
3.6 Pentastar 5 Speed Auto
Dune / Oscar Mike Edition
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
315/70x17 Duratracs on AEV Wheels
post #10 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

my 2013 auto has a weird second gear also, not sure if it's the torque converter slipping then locking up or what. It seems like it shifts 2 times in 2nd to 3rd gear. As RPM climb in 2nd it drops about 200 rpm at a certain point then climbs again before finally firmly shifting into 3rd. Kinda weird to explain. Sounds different than what you're describing.

I'm not sure if any aftermarket tuners support changing shift points on the 12's and newer auto transmission. My Diablo Sport Trinity doesnt do shit for adjusting shift points even tho the website says it does. DS says they can't talk to that transmission. Not sure if that's true for ProCal or any of the others tho, may wanna make for sure before droppin the $$ for a tuner. And if someone on here says that a tuner helped out their shift points, make sure their jeep is a 12 or newerwith the 5spd auto. Some tuners may have worked on the older 4spd auto that allowed changing shift points, don't know, but that doesnt necessarily mean it's gonna work on yours.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30
post #11 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjohnsn View Post
I'm not sure what stage the lift is but it has Fox shocks with aux reservoirs and limiting straps. The upper and lower bars say Mopar on them also. What else would tell you what stage it is?
That tells me it is a stage 3. That is a premium dollar lift.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #12 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo36 View Post
my 2013 auto has a weird second gear also, not sure if it's the torque converter slipping then locking up or what. It seems like it shifts 2 times in 2nd to 3rd gear. As RPM climb in 2nd it drops about 200 rpm at a certain point then climbs again before finally firmly shifting into 3rd. Kinda weird to explain. Sounds different than what you're describing.

I'm not sure if any aftermarket tuners support changing shift points on the 12's and newer auto transmission. My Diablo Sport Trinity doesnt do shit for adjusting shift points even tho the website says it does. DS says they can't talk to that transmission. Not sure if that's true for ProCal or any of the others tho, may wanna make for sure before droppin the $$ for a tuner. And if someone on here says that a tuner helped out their shift points, make sure their jeep is a 12 or newerwith the 5spd auto. Some tuners may have worked on the older 4spd auto that allowed changing shift points, don't know, but that doesnt necessarily mean it's gonna work on yours.
The procal lets the transmission (and other systems) know that you have a different tire size and different gear ratios as well. The transmission takes that info and recalculates shift points accordingly.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
That tells me it is a stage 3. That is a premium dollar lift.

-Dan
You sir are correct. I compared a picture of the lift and it is exactly what I have on the JK. You say this is a Premium Dollar lift, does that mean it's good or just expensive? I like the way it rides and handles curves on the road, haven't been off road yet.

2014 JK Unlimited
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What does the dealer do to correct the speedo after installing the lift and tires? Would it change the shift points?

2014 JK Unlimited
3" Mopar Stage 3 Lift
post #15 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_K View Post
The procal lets the transmission (and other systems) know that you have a different tire size and different gear ratios as well. The transmission takes that info and recalculates shift points accordingly.

Yeah I don't know, all I know is that there is no option to manually change shift points. Maybe it did in the process of changing tire size but it doesn't seem like it. And OP, yeah the dealer had to use something to correct the speedo. Doubt they're allowed to sell it with the speedo incorrect if its a brand new rig that they did all the work on. I'd call them up and ask the service manager. The dude who sold it to you most likely has no clue.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30
post #16 of 16 Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Dealers should be able to flash the computer to set new tire size and should have done it if they added bigger tires. If it was not done I would make them do it because the speedo will be off and say it is a safty issue not being able to tell what speed you are going.

You don't need a truss and I doubt you need C gussets for riding trails. That is one of the biggest overblown mods people recommend. I would stay out of the mud bogs with a new jeep. Mud gets into everything and just tears things up like seals and u-joints plus the clean up is a bitch.

That is one of the better and most complete lifts out there today and you should be fine to just go out and enjoy your new ride without doing anything else to it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 04-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode