I need advice for lifting my new jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I need advice for lifting my new jeep

I have a '14 Willys Wheeler Unlimited on order and I can't wait for it to arrive! The first thing I am going to do is lift it, outfit it with 35" tires, and put on new front/rear bumpers and tire carrier. I have previously owned a Wrangler ('08) but I am new to aftermarket upgrades so I could really use some advice.

I have a few questions. Overall, I do not want to go cheap but I also do not have a $10k budget. Any advice I can get would be fantastic.

- I like the wheels on the Willys Wheeler (17" rubicon wheels in black) so I am planning on keeping those, does anyone have any suggestions for the best 35" tires I could mount on the stock wheels? I will be driving to/from work on paved roads during the week and hitting trails on weekends. I will be doing some off roading but probably nothing that would go viral on youtube.

- Any suggestions on lift kits? I can't go too high (so my wife can still get the baby in the car seat, ha!) but I also do not want any rubbing issues. This is the one I'm most concerned about because I want to get the best lift for my budget.

- Is a rear tire carrier absolutely needed for 35" tires? I've heard yes and no... just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

- Finally, as far as bumpers, I'm loving OR-Fab front and rear bumpers (and the tire carrier). Has anyone had any issues with these or would you recommend a different brand?

Thank you very much for the advice. All of this research is making my head hurt and I'm hoping this will help me narrow down my decisions.

Last edited by dsotm78; 04-04-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsotm78 View Post
I have a '14 Willys Wheeler on order and I can't wait for it to arrive! The first thing I am going to do is lift it, outfit it with 35" tires, and put on new front/rear bumpers and tire carrier. I have previously owned a Wrangler ('08) but I am new to aftermarket upgrades so I could really use some advice.

I have a few questions. Overall, I do not want to go cheap but I also do not have a $10k budget. Any advice I can get would be fantastic.

- I like the wheels on the Willys Wheeler (17" rubicon wheels in black) so I am planning on keeping those, does anyone have any suggestions for the best 35" tires I could mount on the stock wheels? I will be driving to/from work on paved roads during the week and hitting trails on weekends.

A 35 is a 35, no 35 is going to fit better. They will all be 35x12.50R17. You will need wheel spacers, however. Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers.

- Any suggestions on lift kits? I can't go too high (so my wife can still get the baby in the car seat, ha!) but I also do not want any rubbing issues. This is the one I'm most concerned about because I want to get the best lift for my budget.

Will you wheel it? Is it a 4 door? You can do a 2.5" budget boost. You may rub at full articulation but driving down the street you wont. Get some flat fenders and it will make more clearance. Check out Teraflex, Rock Krawl, Synergy Suspension and Metal Cloak.

- Is a rear tire carrier absolutely needed for 35" tires? I've heard yes and no... just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

It isn't absolutely needed but, personally I wouldn't want to risk the tailgate on my brand new jeep.

- Finally, as far as bumpers, I'm loving OR-Fab front and rear bumpers (and the tire carrier). Has anyone had any issues with these or would you recommend a different brand?

OF-Fab is great. I really like the JCR Off-road line up.

Thank you very much for the advice. All of this research is making my head hurt and I'm hoping this will help me narrow down my decisions.
Answers in red.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #3 of 12 Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

X2 on what Daniel_M said.

I would just add that if you're going with a 2.5" lift, to seriously look into springs instead of spacers. I originally had spacers and now that I switched over to full springs, the ride and articulation is unimaginably better. In the long-run going straight to springs will save you money.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

Dan's advice is sound

I went with BF Goodrich Mud terrain KM2s 35x12.5x17 on stock rims with the Spidertrax spacers and was very happy with the performance. Low road noise, good wear, and no rubbing. Look nice too.

It might be a little pricey, but I went with the 3" Synergy lift from Poly Performance...Dave aka PIG on this forum is super helpful...the build quality is great...nice fit...no death wobble...quality components. I couldn't be happier.

35s are super heavy...I really would advise some sort of aftermarket tire carrier or brace system. I've got Hanson bumpers front and rear and they're exceptional. Lots of nice choices out there. Pick what looks good to your eye.

Good luck! You get what you pay for though. Buy cheap...buy twice.

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

This is all fantastic advice. I'm leaning towards getting the tire carrier. I definitely want to avoid the "buy cheap, buy twice" trap.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

I have a '14 Willys Wheeler Unlimited on order and I can't wait for it to arrive! The first thing I am going to do is lift it, outfit it with 35" tires, and put on new front/rear bumpers and tire carrier. I have previously owned a Wrangler ('08) but I am new to aftermarket upgrades so I could really use some advice.

- I like the wheels on the Willys Wheeler (17" rubicon wheels in black) so I am planning on keeping those, does anyone have any suggestions for the best 35" tires I could mount on the stock wheels? I will be driving to/from work on paved roads during the week and hitting trails on weekends. I will be doing some off roading but probably nothing that would go viral on youtube.

I love my KM2's. My buddy just got pitbull rockers and I might get them next. Tires have so much character and work great yet are not that loud.

I currently have a 2 in old man emu lift. But I had a chance to drive AEV's jeep they take to show dealers. It had a phenomenal ride. It will definitely be my next lift. But will still be their 2.5 in. I only plan on 35's because as a daily driver I don't want to deal with the climb of a larger lift and larger tires. Plus at 2ish in a lot less strain on everything else.

I personally do not think so. Only time will tell with a late model jeep. Fact is earlier models did. But the back door has been beefed up. If you plan on keeping it a long time (which I don't) might be better safe than sorry.

No experience with these.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

I would look for a tire that has a C or D rating to it to give you a better ride and better traction when aired down off road. You can just do flat fenders and 1.5" wheel spacers instead of lifting to keep the jeep low for your wife and keeping the factory ride which should improve due to the wider track of the new tires.

For what you are going to be doing with your jeep there is no reason to lift it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I would look for a tire that has a C or D rating to it to give you a better ride and better traction when aired down off road. You can just do flat fenders and 1.5" wheel spacers instead of lifting to keep the jeep low for your wife and keeping the factory ride which should improve due to the wider track of the new tires.

For what you are going to be doing with your jeep there is no reason to lift it.
Was thinking the same thing
post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I'm narrowing down my decision!

Ok, first thanks for all the awesome advice! This is really helping me out... I can't wait to post pics of my finished ride!

This is what I'm thinking right now:
- 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers
- OR-Fab front and rear bumpers with tire carrier
- Bushwacker Flat Style Flares

If I don't go with a lift kit, would you recommend spacers? Especially since I'll be adding quite a bit of weight with the bumpers/tire carrier? I really want to avoid any rubbing issues.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I would wait until I got the bumpers and everything mounted and see how it falls out. You might want to throw on a small spacer up front. The jeep has several different coil spring rates depending on what options you have on your jeep. A 4 door with hard top and tow package will have higher rate coils then a base 2 door soft top.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 12 Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsotm78 View Post
Ok, first thanks for all the awesome advice! This is really helping me out... I can't wait to post pics of my finished ride!

This is what I'm thinking right now:
- 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers
- OR-Fab front and rear bumpers with tire carrier
- Bushwacker Flat Style Flares

If I don't go with a lift kit, would you recommend spacers? Especially since I'll be adding quite a bit of weight with the bumpers/tire carrier? I really want to avoid any rubbing issues.

Thanks again!
I would worry about running the correct bump stop extensions to keep the tires from ripping the flares off.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #12 of 12 Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
JKowners Vendor

Like Dirtman said, going with Flat Fenders changes the world considerably.

We would recommend going with a nice 1.5" coil, some good shocks, and possibly some bump stops to go with those flat fenders. This way you are getting components you can build upon instead of throwing them away down the road.

Good luck with your build.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode