TeraFlex: Hinged Carrier Accessory Mount - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

TeraFlex: Hinged Carrier Accessory Mount

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEGvc5zPSg

This video will help to explain what RotopaX and HiLift Jack setup you can run with our Hinged Carrier Accessory Mount from TeraFlex Suspensions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

She said bung.

Another well designed product and fun video from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Do I get a discount on the tire TeraFlex JK HD Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit if I make them aware the on their web site it is still showing out of stock?

Just asking??? No I really want this tire mount..

Great Video!!!!

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Rock God

I got a pretty good deal on one from [email protected], 17-Mar, when TF's site said "out of stock".
It's been here a week or more now and, yeah, it's pretty beefy.

TF's vids are the best. Good, clean entertainment.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I got a pretty good deal on one from [email protected], 17-Mar, when TF's site said "out of stock".
It's been here a week or more now and, yeah, it's pretty beefy.

TF's vids are the best. Good, clean entertainment.
The vid's are pretty funny!!! Now I wonder where he ran out of gasÖLOL

Chad
post #6 of 17 Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

I bought the HD hinge and carrier combo for my 2010 back in Nov/Dec of 2012 and then removed it from my 2010 when I traded in up for my new 2014.

My question: can I get a hardware install kit for this? I think I still have the rubber bushings, but don't recall (nor can I find) any similarly shaped spacer which would go under the LH side of the tire carrier to even out the mounting.

Is there any such piece? I'm not sure I even had such a piece, as I still have everything else.

TIA!

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #8 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by membrain View Post
I bought the HD hinge and carrier combo for my 2010 back in Nov/Dec of 2012 and then removed it from my 2010 when I traded in up for my new 2014.

My question: can I get a hardware install kit for this? I think I still have the rubber bushings, but don't recall (nor can I find) any similarly shaped spacer which would go under the LH side of the tire carrier to even out the mounting.

Is there any such piece? I'm not sure I even had such a piece, as I still have everything else.

TIA!
If all you're looking for is the 1/4" spacers, I have a pair that I don't want to get rid of, but I could use them for patterns and burn you a set out of 1/4" A36 plate (You'd have to paint/powder coat yourself). $20+shipping. (As a last resort -- not trying to undercut TF, just offering to help.)

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 PM
JKO Addict!

great marketing video.

how many gallons is that, actually? I've got that bracket and was disappointed to find from your tech support that it maxed out at something like 6 gallons.

are you guys aware that firestik (those pesky antenna guys) actually recommend against mounting the antenna next to the jack like that. other than the jack being there, it is actually supposed to be the be one of the better locations to place an antenna on the tub.

the antenna mount, if you ask me, needs another gusset. it moves slightly when the antenna whips around.

mine has been collecting dust in favor of the straight up CB antenna mount.

BTW, I found that you can lock the jack base to the base of the mount with just a padlock. No need to by the rotopax mount$.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
are you guys aware that firestik (those pesky antenna guys) actually recommend against mounting the antenna next to the jack like that.
That was my thought the first time I saw that antenna mount on the accessory bracket. Anytime you mount an antenna in close proximity and parallel to another conductor, even another antenna, the SWR will be affected because of the parasitic resonance of the parallel conductor. As SWR (basically reflected power) goes up, radiated power (output) goes down. You might be able to tune the antenna to get the SWR down to a reasonable level. But the radiation pattern will still be compromised.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #11 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

I've always been curious about the effect of the tire carrier, spare, Hi Lift on SWR. Where would you say the best spot would be to mount the antenna on a setup like that?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

wilson flex next to my high lift and never an issue. swr is just fine.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #13 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I've always been curious about the effect of the tire carrier, spare, Hi Lift on SWR. Where would you say the best spot would be to mount the antenna on a setup like that?
Firestik said that ideally you want the antenna at either rear corner with the base at or above the tub lip. In front, you want it above the hood, like on a pedestal that sticks out between the top of the drivers fender and the closed hood.

Even if you can set your SWR, the antenna still smacks into the jack all day long when you are moving along down the trail. That and you can see the top of the TF bracket moving a little. They could probably add a small gusset there to tune things up.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Firestik said that ideally you want the antenna at either rear corner with the base at or above the tub lip. In front, you want it above the hood, like on a pedestal that sticks out between the top of the drivers fender and the closed hood.

Even if you can set your SWR, the antenna still smacks into the jack all day long when you are moving along down the trail. That and you can see the top of the TF bracket moving a little. They could probably add a small gusset there to tune things up.
DISCLAIMER: This is going to be a long post, but for those who don't really understand what's going on in a radio transmitting antenna installation, this may provide some guidance.

Jeeps are really a lot less than ideal for efficient antenna radiation. And radiation efficiency is the bigger issue than SWR. You can have flat antenna SWR and still have a crappy radio transmitting station because of things shielding or redirecting the radiated energy (a la Hi-Lift Jack right next to and parallel to the antenna).

Two major issues are shielding (like I mentioned above) and the ground plane. On a car or pickup, the ideal spot for most efficient mobile operation is centered in the roof. This gets the antenna itself above any shielding metal objects (compare this to firestik's recommendations), but it also places it in the center of the ground plane so that the antenna radiates equally in all directions. The ground plane in this setup helps to focus an essentially spherical radiation pattern and concentrate the radiated energy in a more horizontal direction. This has the effect of a stronger radiated signal, as well as a stronger received signal (think of the receiving benefit like a weak power rifle scope compared to the naked eye).

When we put an antenna at the back of a vehicle, we move the antenna to the rear edge of its ground plane. That makes the radiation pattern somewhat directional toward the front of the vehicle because more of the energy is horizontally concentrated in the front than in the rear. If you now move it to a corner instead of centered in the rear, you skew that directivity diagonally in the longest direction of the ground plane. (For that reason I thought it was a little odd that FireStick recommended a corner, but maybe it has to do with interference from the roll cage?) And if you mount it on the bumper, as we often see, now you have the whole body tub shielding much of the radiated energy in the direction of what would otherwise be the highest effective output. This gives the effect of a weaker signal in both transmitting and receiving.

The Hi-lift right next to the antenna, although we might be able to tune the SWR down to acceptable numbers, will still impact the radiation pattern and the effectiveness of the transmitting antenna -- maybe due to some degree of shielding, or maybe because of parasitic radiation (depending on the frequencies in question and the electrical length of the interfering conductor(s)). The same could be said for the upright support on a roof rack, or even another antenna (say, a ham antenna, commercial VHF, ETC.) This may be negligible for trail use, or it may be significant enough to eliminate communications in some instances.

On a Jeep, because of its inherent design difficulties, it's hard enough to get a well-functioning and efficient antenna installation. No need to further hinder that system by poor placement of the antenna relative to conductive accessories. Some compromises are necessary -- we don't want our antennas mounted as high as a roof mount because they'd be constantly catching on things, to say nothing of the fact that our roofs are not conductive, so there is no ground plane benefit to a roof mount on a Jeep -- but there's no need to shoot yourself in the foot by making needless compromises like carelessly mounting an antenna next to and parallel to components that are electrically conductive, and therefore potentially shielding or redirecting the signal.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #15 of 17 Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
If all you're looking for is the 1/4" spacers, I have a pair that I don't want to get rid of, but I could use them for patterns and burn you a set out of 1/4" A36 plate (You'd have to paint/powder coat yourself). $20+shipping. (As a last resort -- not trying to undercut TF, just offering to help.)
Thanks for the offer, as a last resort I may have to take you up on it if I can't find a less expensive solution.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #16 of 17 Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 AM
Granite Guru

UnlimiDozer, nice reply. Thanks.
When I get my front bar, I'm having two tabs fitted to the sides of the centre hoop about half way up....these will be for two antenna installs. Not too tall I'm going to take them off on something, but I hope to give them a reasonably clear path for TX/RX.
I'm getting the Teraflex carrier for mine, but I'm just going to use the accessory mount for some Rotopax fuel cans. With some home made bracketry, no hi-lift, I think I might be able to get more fuel on there than Teraflex advertise. Helps that I'm running 32" tyres as well.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
DISCLAIMER: This is going to be a long post, but for those who don't really understand what's going on in a radio transmitting antenna installation, this may provide some guidance......
Great explanation, thanks! This explains to me why on my former YJ I had such great CB performance vs what I now get from the JK, even thought the latter has arguably higher quality components. On the YJ I'd fashioned a windshield antenna mount out of aluminum channel stock. SWR was less than .5 using Radio Shack antenna, cable & bits and a clunky Radio Shack 40 channel CB. The JK's setup uses Firestick cable & antenna mounted on a grounded TF tailgate bracket. I donlt carry a Hi Lift, but the antenna's right near an old style TF tire carrier. CB performance is OK, but still doesn't have the range to the rear I'd like. Perhaps a windshield frame bracket would get it done?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode