Your after market bumper rusting? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Your after market bumper rusting?

Trying to decide on a new bumper for my 2012 JK 2 door. I was set to get a Warn when I heard about rust problems that a few people are having when they get to be a year or two old.

I called Quadratec and they said they are not aware of any problems and that they shouldn't rust (unless scratched or damaged of course).

So you guys who have after market bumpers, especially from Warn, have you seen any rust after a year or so of use?

What about spraying clear cost over it before installing to protect it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

In most cases if you wheel it, it will get scratched. Scratches that are not touched up will rust. A light sanding and a quick blast of spray paint provides for a quick fix.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a Warn that is getting some rust. It also sat in the backyard for about a year uncovered. The rust is mostly in the shackle mounts. Definitely could scrape off the bad stuff and hit it with bedliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

My AEV front bumper was rusting in the weld seams so when I chopped it I sandblasted all the powdercoating off and painted it so now it's easy to touch up if it bothers me. Rear bumper is fine though, I think it was all the sand and gravel pits from driving.

I like that poison spyder sends their stuff raw steel, saves me the sandblasting step.

Sean
post #5 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Wheeler

I have the first generation LOD bumpers and they are rust magnets. The powder coating was marginal. Rustseal does not really fix it. Will be replacing with my new Poison Spyder bumpers after powder coating.
My Rubicon rails are rusting like crazy from inside. I expect them to fall off sooner or later.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Granite Guru

I have river raider bumpers front and rear with gatorhyde and no issues. Like warcop said if you wheel it and they get scratched and you don't take care of it then they will rust.

2007 JKU Rubicon "Mo"
37's
3" TF Lift
post #7 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the warn. And it is rusting in several places. I have had it for about almost 7 years now. I did pull it off a couple of years ago and used a wire brushed on a drill and sand paper to clean it up and re-paint it. Needs to be done again but this time I'm considering getting it blasted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Granite Guru

Ever consider aluminum skin? My nemesis bumper looks great after two years.

2011 2door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
facebook.com/blacksheep4x4sorg
Black Sheep 4x4s Board Member
post #9 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Rock God

GenRight aluminum front and rear. I powder coated mine black. Lots of people just clear coat them. Never rust.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Powder coated material has changed over the years and improved in how it attaches itself to the metal. Olympic changed its powder coating a few years ago after hearing some of our customers where not happy. The new powder coating finish is incredible it becomes part of the metal and we have had very little complaints about it. We use a finish now that is very close to Rust O Liums brand Texture black, which makes touch up easy after crashing into a rock or bumping up against a tree. If you use your bumper to protect your jeep from the off road environment your going to need to do some maintenance regardless of which brand you purchase. You can also purchase Olympic bumpers in Raw Steel and finish them yourself, some Jeepers have them custom painted to match the color of there jeep or done in the texture lining used on truck beds. You can review our Jk bumpers at : http://www.olympic4x4products.com/Fr...7-2014-JK.html
If I can be of any assistance you are welcome to contact me at [email protected]

What ever brand you decide to purchase please make sure it is made in U.S.A.. We need to create more jobs here and when you buy a American made product you create more jobs than you can imagine. Even the waitress at the local coffee shop benefits.

My favorite full width bumper.
Attached Images

post #11 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

All of my aftermarket gear is rusting....

AEV bumpers, Tomken steps, MetalCloak fenders, all rusting in the crevices. Funny that my knock-off light bar is holding up better than the name brand stuff. It does not make sense to me. Did the EPA outlaw some additive that actually prevented rust?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #12 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Rock God

Have you looked at wage we have to offer?
www.jcroffroad.com

for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on
post #13 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcrOffroad View Post
Have you looked at wage we have to offer?
www.jcroffroad.com
I have... I'm considering the mid-width rear bumper/carrier combo to replace the AEV rear setup that won't fit with my LCOG build. I just have too much money and time wrapped up in the supercharger right now... Gotta pace myself.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #14 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

We started having our hardware nuts, bolts and washers Zinc plated black, they really hold up against rust and you don't have to worry if you scratch them a bit. A suggestion if you have the extra bucks is get stainless steel hardware its expensive but if its 304 s.s. it wont rust ever.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I have the GenRight aluminum so no rust here.....still bare aluminum!

U.S. Army
post #16 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympic4x4products View Post
We started having our hardware nuts, bolts and washers Zinc plated black, they really hold up against rust and you don't have to worry if you scratch them a bit. A suggestion if you have the extra bucks is get stainless steel hardware its expensive but if its 304 s.s. it wont rust ever.
Stainless isn't as strong as a grade 8 bolt, so when it comes to things like bumpers that often have recovery points welded on, or winches I would question strength. The other big concern with stainless hardware is galling, so make sure you use anti seize on all bolts.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #17 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecatch View Post
Trying to decide on a new bumper for my 2012 JK 2 door. I was set to get a Warn when I heard about rust problems that a few people are having when they get to be a year or two old.

I called Quadratec and they said they are not aware of any problems and that they shouldn't rust (unless scratched or damaged of course).

So you guys who have after market bumpers, especially from Warn, have you seen any rust after a year or so of use?

What about spraying clear cost over it before installing to protect it? Thanks.
I would double coat any bumper I got with LineX to be sure.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympic4x4products View Post
Powder coated material has changed over the years and improved in how it attaches itself to the metal. Olympic changed its powder coating a few years ago after hearing some of our customers where not happy. The new powder coating finish is incredible it becomes part of the metal and we have had very little complaints about it. We use a finish now that is very close to Rust O Liums brand Texture black, which makes touch up easy after crashing into a rock or bumping up against a tree. If you use your bumper to protect your jeep from the off road environment your going to need to do some maintenance regardless of which brand you purchase. You can also purchase Olympic bumpers in Raw Steel and finish them yourself, some Jeepers have them custom painted to match the color of there jeep or done in the texture lining used on truck beds. You can review our Jk bumpers at : http://www.olympic4x4products.com/Fr...7-2014-JK.html
If I can be of any assistance you are welcome to contact me at [email protected]

What ever brand you decide to purchase please make sure it is made in U.S.A.. We need to create more jobs here and when you buy a American made product you create more jobs than you can imagine. Even the waitress at the local coffee shop benefits.

My favorite full width bumper.
Great advice. Thanks for sharing.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

My PSC brawler that came powder coated from northridge 2 yrs ago is completely rusting and the powder coating pulls off like a second skin. Once it's completely trashed I'll pull it and have it line-x'd like my evo carrier, That stuff doesn't let any moisture in and works well against dings and scratches. I've used Silver Bullit with good results but you have to have the stuff sand blasted first then apply it to have the best possible coating.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

I also have the GenRight aluminum bumpers and fenders and I left mine raw too. No rust!

We have several differnet alum JK bumpers, alum tire carriers, alum fenders, alum sliders, alum skids, etc.

Weight is the enemy of our Jeeps. And rust is no good either!

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode