i need MPG help bad!!!!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

i need MPG help bad!!!!!!!

Ok I've been reading a ton of threads about MPG's and some people have said THEY ARE GETTING LIKE 16 with 33's and some engine mods. I have a bone stock '11 JKU Sahara and am only getting 13.4, calculated by the computer not by hand, I just had an oil change and used a NAPA gold oil filter and also put in a NAPA gold air filter. Oh, and as my wife would say I drive like an old man. So there is no reason that I should be getting such crappy mileage. I plan on cleaning through throttle body but is there anything else I can look for that might cause my problem?

One other thing, it was originally a Canadian jeep. Would the comp. still think it's in kilometers?
Thanks in advance
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Dont use the computer. Doing a couple of tanks and hand jam it to see what you are getting.

Probably worth making sure your speedo and odometer are showing in miles correctly as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

13.4 L/100km's makes more sense. On the left hand side of the steering wheel, press the Step button until you get to the temperature. Press Reset. If it changes from Celsius to Fahrenheit, then it was metric. Use the Step button to scroll back to the mileage. It should be around 18.5.

This is all assuming you don't have the Connectivity package

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

i just got a mini cooper to fix my MPG issue… it gets like 38-40mpg and thats driving like it's a race car.

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS
post #5 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

2Door got it right. Make the change from C to F and see what the mileage is then.

Besides that, fill up and write down the mileage.

When time to fill up again, note the mileage and divide by "how much gas you just put back in to the tank" off the gas pump.

Also, don't let your truck sit and idle, this too throws off your MPG reading on the jeep computer.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Wheeler

Since you bought the JK, have you done any type up tune-up?

These are the plugs and wires that came with it?

If so, and if you notice any rough idle with the A\C off, then it may be time to replace the plugs and wires.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok, went out and checked and it is in MPG and not L/kh. As far as the tune up goes I got the jeep about a month or so ago so no tune up has been done by me. It has just turned over 30,000 miles so maybe that is what it needs. And yes there is a rough idle with no A/C (it's still cold here in northern indiana) before my last fill up I put in a can of seafoam and meant to calculate by hand but drove away and forgot. This this time for sure.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattybass65 View Post
Ok, went out and checked and it is in MPG and not L/kh. As far as the tune up goes I got the jeep about a month or so ago so no tune up has been done by me. It has just turned over 30,000 miles so maybe that is what it needs. And yes there is a rough idle with no A/C (it's still cold here in northern indiana) before my last fill up I put in a can of seafoam and meant to calculate by hand but drove away and forgot. This this time for sure.
Somewhere around 30-something thousand miles, I had a little idle roughness and stalled a couple of times for no good reason. Cleaned the throttle body and swapped the spark plugs and PCV valve - stalling and roughness was gone, and picked up better than 0.5 MPG. Don't believe the "ultra long life" spark plug hype.

On 35s at 28 PSI, I get ~13.5 in cold weather (fookin' oxygenated gasoline ) and 14.5-15 in the summer (decent gas). If I slowed down 10 MPH on the freeway, I'd bet there's another couple of MPG to be had.

Hope this helps a bit.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #9 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
...... Oh, and as my wife would say I drive like an old man.....
Adam
I'm thinking driving like an old man (riding the brake) is hell on gas mileage.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is that 13.4 mpg city driving or combined city/hwy. I get 13.4 in town with a lot of stop and go driving and 20 mpg on the hwy going ~62mph from bone stock '14 Rubicon. I can increase my city mpg by almost 2 mpg by just changing my route to avoid stop signs. If you're only getting 13.4 mpg on the hwy then yeah you have a reason to be looking for answers. One thing I've learned being in the downstream gasoline business for nearly 30 years it's that no matter what you do, some vehicles just use more fuel than others. Sucks to know that you're paying more for fuel than other JK owners. Consider this, if you drive 10,000 miles a year and average 2.5 mpg less you'll pay about $289 more a year for fuel based on $3.40 gal. On the plus side, you no longer have to worry about how the weight all those accessories you want to add to your JK will affect gas mileage. Add those accessories and focus on your FPG (fun per gallon) instead of mpg.

Good luck.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

Last edited by soonerfan85; 04-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
I'm thinking driving like an old man (riding the brake) is hell on gas mileage.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is that 13.4 mpg city driving or combined city/hwy. I get 13.4 in town with a lot of stop and go driving and 20 mpg on the hwy going ~62mph from bone stock '14 Rubicon. I can increase my city mpg by almost 2 mpg by just changing my route to avoid stop signs. If you're only getting 13.4 mpg on the hwy then yeah you have a reason to be looking for answers. One thing I've learned being in the downstream gasoline business for nearly 30 years it's that no matter what you do, some vehicles just use more fuel than others. Sucks to know that you're paying more for fuel than other JK owners. Consider this, if you drive 10,000 miles a year and average 2.5 mpg less you'll pay about $289 more a year for fuel based on $3.40 gal. On the plus side, you no longer have to worry about how the weight all those accessories you want to add to your JK will affect gas mileage. Add those accessories and focus on your FPG (fun per gallon) instead of mpg.

Good luck.

I don't give a rats ass about my mpg, but with that being said I get like 14ish city and probably 18 highway. I DD mine, but I don't really drive that much.....

Try getting a programmer like the superchips flashpaq, I've heard allot of people say they get increased mileage with them.

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #11 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Granite Guru

its got to be your driving style. i averaged 17-18 in my 3.8 auto before i switched from rubi take offs to 285 duratracs and 15-16 with winter blend and a 15 minute warm up every morning
post #12 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Rock God

I don't really care too much about my MPG, but on 37" tires with the stock 4.10 gears on a 2008 I get about 13 city, and about 15-16 highway. when I was stock I would get about 18-19 highway if I stayed below 70, and above 70 with little wind I would be around 15-16.

I am guessing there is either something wrong with your Jeep, or your driving style is different than mine. By driving like an old man I am assuming you are trying to keep the RPMs lower, but in reality on the highway you will get better power and mpg around 2200-2400 RPM than you do around 1500 RPM. I tend to step on it to get up to speed and leave my OD off for now with a 37" tire. On stock tires I turned my overdrive off prior to getting to any hills where I knew my Jeep would slow down and then downshift, and this seemed to work better.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #13 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Ok I've been reading a ton of threads about MPG's and some people have said THEY ARE GETTING LIKE 16 with 33's and some engine mods. I have a bone stock '11 JKU Sahara and am only getting 13.4, calculated by the computer not by hand, I just had an oil change and used a NAPA gold oil filter and also put in a NAPA gold air filter. Oh, and as my wife would say I drive like an old man. So there is no reason that I should be getting such crappy mileage. I plan on cleaning through throttle body but is there anything else I can look for that might cause my problem?

One other thing, it was originally a Canadian jeep. Would the comp. still think it's in kilometers?
Thanks in advance
Adam
Wow that is bad and normally the computer calculation runs higher than hand calculated from what I have seen on my 3 Jeeps that have had an EVIC. When my EVIC said 20MPG actual hand calculated for me was 18.5MPG.

As for your fuel mileage is that all stop and go driving and lots of idling? Driving like an old man and doing mostly 45-55 MPH in 6th gear I get 17-18 MPG average so far over 400 miles with 40" Trail Grapplers at 21 psi hand calculated (only lost 1-2 MPG vs stock somehow using the same driving style and traveling the same roads which I am very happy about)
post #14 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok so to answer a few questions, by driving like an old man I meant that I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. I don't do jackrabbit starts just take my time getting places. All my driving is in town I have a 7 minute drive to work and only have 3 stop lights to go through, so not really stop and start I would say. I haven't been warming up the jeep for a while and this winter I used the block heater so there really wasn't a need to warm it up to much. I have 3.73's and an auto trans.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Ok so to answer a few questions, by driving like an old man I meant that I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. I don't do jackrabbit starts just take my time getting places. All my driving is in town I have a 7 minute drive to work and only have 3 stop lights to go through, so not really stop and start I would say. I haven't been warming up the jeep for a while and this winter I used the block heater so there really wasn't a need to warm it up to much. I have 3.73's and an auto trans.
When I warm my Jeep up and only drive through town (surface streets with stop lights) I am usually around 13-14 MPG in the summer, and 12-13 in the winter with about a 2-3 minute warmup. This was with stock tires, and with a 37" tire.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #16 of 20 Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Wheeler

I'm getting 15-16 mpg, with stock gears running a 6" lift with 37x13.5R20 tires, i have a K&N cold air intake, rugged ridge throttle body spacer, K&N oil filter, and a Superchip 3870. Its a 6spd 2010 2dr JK sport. I drive it just like an Audi. Every month i put a fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas. (OReillys $3-5) just to keep the ethanol gunk out.

Originally quoted by :White13JKUR
My favorite was the time at the ATM when I hopped out of the jeep and a hot soccer mom immediately approached me and asked in a friendly voice: “How many inches do you have?” Then, when I looked to see that she too had jumped out of a stock jeep similar to mine, I responded with confidence : “3.5 inches”
post #17 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Rock God

I was getting 14.2 mpg with 4.88s and 37x12.50r17s. I needed 5.13s at least for 37s. This is with the 3.8 & auto trans. I moved back down to 35s a month ago, it was time for new tires. The 4.88s work really well with 35s. Too well! I'm only getting 14.0 mpg because the jeep is fun to drive again

When I drive conservatively, I'm getting about 14.7-15.0 mpg. Last summer with 37s and the A/C I was averaging ~13.6. I hope this summer is better.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #18 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I have a 2007 Sahara and around 40K-45K it started to idle rough and the mileage went down to 12MPG or so. After some troubleshooting I discovered that the EGR valve was malfunctioning. I think in my case it was intermittently sticking open and causing the vehicle to run poorly at idle (too lean) or closed causing nitrogen oxide emissions in the exhaust to rise messing with the timing and fuel/air mixture (too rich).
Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but after trying (unsuccessfully) to clean the old one, I replaced it and my problem went away.
Right now I'm getting 18 to 20MPG with 33s...unless I happen to run into some mud!!
post #19 of 20 Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
If the only mileage is from 7 minute drives to work and other like short duration trips, that may be the reason for the mpg in the 13's. With a 2010 JKR (2 door stock auto) I averaged maybe 16 in town (depending on traffic), but 22 to 23 on trips from Jacksonville to Gainesville (70 miles). With a 3.6L engine, I am getting a bit better than 17, in town driving, with a stock 2 door JK automatic with 3.73 gears. Some claim that using synthetic oil helps with the mpg too. Might check/replace your air filter too.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Rock God

I agree with alangloi. The short drive to work is probably the missing link in your MPG. Short trips naturally eat gas more than long, steady-state driving. Your engine is going to get it's worst MPG in the first few minutes of driving.
Take it out on the highway and calculate your MPG by hand, and see if there is a remarkable difference (like in the high teens).

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode