break in period for new gears and locker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

break in period for new gears and locker

Ive read a bunch on here and other sites saying theres a break in period. i hear the first 100 needs to be under 60 mph with a cool down after 20 minutes and then 400 more with a gear oil change. whats the best method? dont kick it in 4 for 500? dont floor it from a stop? i normally drive like my grandmother so i dont think itll be an issue, however, my jeep is at the shop 40 miles away so im expecting a very long drive home. sound about right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

40 miles ain't much , on straight runs slip it into 4W and out on turns. I feel it's important to load the ring to get the pinion to mesh properly with it . Drive gently and feel the punkin' with your hand , if it's hot let it cool a long time , I call it seasoning , try 5-10 miles at a time . Your trip home may take a while , but your going to have to do it sooner or later anyway . Really important on larger rings (4.88- 5.13 ect.) they create more heat, more so in D30, than D44 don't know which you have. And the gear lube breakin oil Will have quite a bit of pulverized metal in it , you will be amazed with the amount when you change it. Don't just pull the drain plug , clean it real well , remove cover!. Even after 500 miles check for heat , that's the big killer for gear sets. When they get to breakin you will be able to tell , they quit stinkin' like gear oil.....regards k.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Granite Guru

One other thing , a lot of shops will over fill a D44 FRONT Diff. they only take 1-3/8 qt of oil . Will really make a mess of the driveway and your jeep , so ask before you roll . Had a buddy , that had his over filled . Two days later he was still cleaning up the mess.....regards k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thank you! its a sport, so 30 front and i did end up going 4.88. should be interesting to see how much it heats up but im even more interested to see the how much smoother it will drive on hills and such
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Granite Guru

I'd read the recommendation from the gear supplier. My Yukons came with very specific instructions as far as break in and preserving the warranty. I think I can locate them if you need me to do so, but do not remember specifics. Definitely there were load limits first 300 or 500 miles and cool downs after 20? miles of driving for a few legs when brand new. Also mandatory oil drain and change at 500 miles.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 04-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The big question is how good the guy is who installed them is and what brand you installed. Some makers use materials that still need to be harden so you have to give them som eheat by driving and then let them cool down to harden them. I only use Superior Axels, Ring and Pinions, and I have Ken at Performance 4 Wheel in Bell-flower Ca install them. When i ask him what about the break in? He says get in and drive it. I know your not in So.Cal but if you had Superior installed just take it easy and enjoy. I won't name the Ring and Pinon brand I had installed in Phoenix and the installer was doing the break in for me. But when i flew back to Phoenix to drive the JK to Moab, I got to Moab and the Ring and Pinion had heated up and burnt out my O.E.M. locker.You can email me at [email protected] if you like. www.oly4x4.com
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympic4x4products View Post
The big question is how good the guy is who installed them is and what brand you installed. Some makers use materials that still need to be harden so you have to give them som eheat by driving and then let them cool down to harden them. I only use Superior Axels, Ring and Pinions, and I have Ken at Performance 4 Wheel in Bell-flower Ca install them. When i ask him what about the break in? He says get in and drive it. I know your not in So.Cal but if you had Superior installed just take it easy and enjoy. I won't name the Ring and Pinon brand I had installed in Phoenix and the installer was doing the break in for me. But when i flew back to Phoenix to drive the JK to Moab, I got to Moab and the Ring and Pinion had heated up and burnt out my O.E.M. locker.You can email me at [email protected] if you like. www.oly4x4.com
You do know Superior went out of business some time ago, and Superior did not make their own gears, like everyone else. They world sourced them. Not to mention their business model and leadership folded from the inside out...

As for doing a break in or not. I still dont understand why someone would not do it as the gear branding instruction sheet calls for. Is it really that hard to drive 20 miles normal (not like a childish kid with hormones), and then let it cool 20 minutes min. Then just cruise it for the next 250-500 miles and then change the oil to your favorite stuff. Before you go out and get abusive to the drivetrain...

I usually dont follow recommendations on things that cost $xxxx, just cause I am stubborn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode