Wind Guard/Blocking - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wind Guard/Blocking

I am wondering if there is anything out there to block the wind a little when the top is down. I got an almost 3 year old son who likes when I take the hard top panels off but I am worried it might be a little too windy when it is soft top time in a month or so. I am looking for any tips or suggestions.
Thanks Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Not sure of your setup, but I have a JKU with hardtop. Hard top is always off. I have a spiderweb shade also. When my 2 1/2ish yr old rides in the back seat put the freedom panels on above the front seats and put all the windows up and shes good with just the little breeze she gets in the back seat. I can drive at freeway speeds and it doesnt bother her. At stop signs or slow speeds I put the windows down for her. Like I said, not sure if you're JK or JKU cuz you didnt specify, but it works for my situation. I guess you'd be able to throw freedom panels on with the soft top down right? not sure how it all fits as I don't have a soft top.

kinda off topic but one thing i also do when shes back there is tilt my rear view mirror to about a 45 degree angle and i can see her face in the lower portion of the mirror and still see traffic behind me in the upper portion, helps me keep from turning around and being able to keep an eye on her.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
35x12.50/17 Falken Rocky Moutain ATS
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
Diablo Sport Trinity (garbage)
Sleeve, Truss, ARB, Chromo D30

Last edited by camo36; 03-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@camo, so you are driving with the hard top panels in and the back part of the hard top off?
I saw the spider shade and I am wondering if it helps a lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Wheeler

Looking for more input on this one.....have a 2dr soft top myself, my 2 yr old also hates the wind over 20mph, would love to see some cheap options, pics of what you guys have.....freedom top parts are not in the budget....thanks

2015 2dr Rubi, manual shift, windows, and door locks, love this thing
post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Granite Guru

gshaw, yeah they just bolt back in place without the rear being on. spider web shade stays on underneath the freedom panels so its pretty easy to just throw them on if i know she's going with me in the Jeep. I think the spider shade covering her roof area does just enough to keep the majority of the big gust off of her, I see her hair blowing just a bit, but shes perfectly fine doing 80mph like that. if i open the windows though it's a different story, she gets blasted obviously.

'64 CJ-5, '74 Bronco, '79 CJ-7, '84 CJ-7, '92 XJ, '96 XJ, '99 XJ, '01 TJ, '01 XJ, 2013 JKU.

2013 Commando Green JKU
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

See I have a soft top that I will be putting on soon. Question how hard is it to install the spider shade and can it stay in place with the soft top up too or would I have to remove the spider shade to put the soft top up. He loves the top off too but just don't want him getting whipped with the gusts. Will keep the windows closed
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw34 View Post
See I have a soft top that I will be putting on soon. Question how hard is it to install the spider shade and can it stay in place with the soft top up too or would I have to remove the spider shade to put the soft top up. He loves the top off too but just don't want him getting whipped with the gusts. Will keep the windows closed

Installation of the spider shade is easy. It's nothing but bunjee cords holding it on, just a few minutes. But as far as it working with a soft top, can't help you there, not sure of all the mechanicals of the soft top that you need to be able to access how it all mouts or whatever. I'd THINK it would work, but, that'd have to be a question for the spider web shade people I think. Unless someone with a soft top and SWS chimes in on it.

2013 Commando Green JKU
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

it straps to the rollbar only, the whole thing fits inside the rollbars width wise, then it goes up over the sound bar and straps to the back roll bar. it also attaches to the front windshield frame on the inside at 3 places. does not require windshield header channel or any door surrounds. only the roll bar.

2013 Commando Green JKU
2.5 RK X-Factor
17" Black Rock Vipers
Cut Stock Flares
post #9 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Yes mines still on under the top. Doest effect the soft top at all. Positive or negative. It's just there

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode