Broken exhaust manifold bolt removal - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Broken exhaust manifold bolt removal

Need your guys tips and tricks on removing the passenger side front exhaust manifold bolt. Went to change out my passenger side exhaust manifold (cracked) and found that bolt was broke off and it is just under the surface a couple of threads. I just do not see enough room in there to get a drill in plus I have the sprintex supercharger on and have no access to it from the top. Please dont tell me the only way to get it out is to remove the head:fingerscrossed: I have been trying to use a punch and tap it out but I am afraid it has somewhat seized from being steel into aluminum. Plus winters over and crawled under the jeep and found that the front drive shaft is throwing grease at the transfer case end boot and my ball joints are going bad

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Wheeler

go see someone with a tig welder . they can weld a small t on the top and back it out with pliars
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Locate a 90 degree drill attachment. You still should center punch it to start an Easy Out. snap on makes a good quality set. hit it with good doses of penetrating oil. sometimes a good rap will help in removal. really hard to give better advice without seeing the location you're talking about. good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Granite Guru

A 6mm nut and a mig welder , center nut over broken bolt , the heat from the mig will help loosen the bolt . Be sure to prep both pieces of metal (no oil or other contaminates , clean is a must ) while still hot gently remove broken bolt . I have done this many times works nearly every time . Good Luck.....regards k.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb best option

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick pickel View Post
A 6mm nut and a mig welder , center nut over broken bolt , the heat from the mig will help loosen the bolt . Be sure to prep both pieces of metal (no oil or other contaminates , clean is a must ) while still hot gently remove broken bolt . I have done this many times works nearly every time . Good Luck.....regards k.
This is going to be your best option if you are good with a wielder or have a friend that is, build up a little nipple on top of the broken stud, then wield the nut to the top of that. Also some paraffin wax touched to the stud while it is still very hot from the wielding will help. then you can just use a wrench to back off the stud. This has worked many times for me in the past when I worked in the automotive machine shop.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick pickel View Post
Thanks for the tip how much danger is there to the aluminum blowing out when I weld to the bolt as it is a good 2 threads below the surface?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode