Hail/ insurance/ hood replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Hail/ insurance/ hood replacement

Who has replaced their OEM hood with another factory hood?

Did you go thru your insurance? ( Cost? Deductible?)

Where did you get your factory hood from?

Was it already painted or did you have to take it to be painted ( factory color matched)?

Anything you would've done differently?

Thanks guys.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Wheeler

Call your insurance company and they'll tell you whether hail damage is covered under your policy (usually the most comprehensive policy), and the deductible depends on what you signed up for, too (typically $500). Given that an aftermarket heat reduction hood will run you upwards of $800 and a junk yard one will probably run you $500, you're better off just going through insurance to get a stock hood. However, they may not replace it altogether if the dents are small enough - there is a process to work the dents back without ruining the paint/finish, but that probably won't be possible with the 2x layered/ribbed sheet metal of the hood.

Make sure you report your claim immediately... most insurance companies have clauses in the contract that allow them to reject your claim if you wait an unreasonable amount of time before filing. Hope that helps!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thank you.

Deductible is $500. I just want factory... no heat reduction/ no ninja turtle.

Dents are small... most are very small but noticeable.

Happened today after ins co was closed for the day. I will call and leave a message if they are closed tomorrow and Sunday.

I sure hate the thought of a "dent removal process". Sounds like it could make things worse.

Wondering if anyone has used a vendor on here ( jko) that they recommend... already painted.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Sorry to hear Stube. I've heard about using dry ice and hair dryers but never saw anybody do it. check youtube for hail dent repair. I have had experience with a body shop using replacement parts that were not OEM and were not the same quality. ie thinner material. you can demand OEM replacement thru you insurance company. good luck bud.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #5 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Wheeler

Your insurance company will send you somewhere, and if they ask you where you want to bring it I would ask them to send you to a Jeep/Dodge dealership so that you know you're getting OEM parts.

Don't even bother trying to DIY - if you make it worse, they'll reject your claim.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Dumb question but do dealerships generally paint in-house or send it out to be painted? This is my first time around with this particular situation.

post #7 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thanks Allan. I appreciate any and all input.

I will absolutely insist on OEM replacement parts.

I wonder if I can tweak things to get a rear D60...

post #8 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

My buddy, who owns this car, had it parked outside his work a few years back when we had a huge hail storm that caused millions of dollars in damage throughout the valley. His car was hit 218 times with 1 - 1.25 " hail stones that made his car look like the surface of the moon. He had a paintless dent company repair it for obvious reasons, they got every single dent out perfectly.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
My buddy, who owns this car, had it parked outside his work a few years back when we had a huge hail storm that caused millions of dollars in damage throughout the valley. His car was hit 218 times with 1 - 1.25 " hail stones that made his car look like the surface of the moon. He had a paintless dent company repair it for obvious reasons, they got every single dent out perfectly.
Only problem with that scenario is that you live in Awesome Town Arizona and I live in Sheep Fuckers Burg Texas. I would be skeptical of what anyone could do around this ass-backwards white-trash hillbilly town. I guess I could look in Austin to see if there might be some reputable company to do this kind of work, but I sure as hell don't trust anyone out here in Derelict USA.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Wheeler

Generally dealers don't have a full body shop on site, but they sub contract to licensed and insured body shops that are normally pretty reputable. I'd be interested to see if the insurance recommends a paint less dent removal procedure like JKCTAZ's friend went through - if they did a good job on a car with a crazy paint job like that, I'm sure the same procedure would work on a stock hood.

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
post #11 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 AM
JKowners Vendor

Stock takeoff hoods are plentiful and cheap...I see them from $150-250.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Gods way of attempting to destroy that eyesore !

There have been a few recent posts about brand new factory hoods for sale.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #13 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
I would never admit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Different strokes for different folks. He has more money in that car than a lot of you have in your Jeeps. If you saw it in person, I guarantee you'd like it, the attention to detail is definitely there. It was featured at SEMA year before last for a couple of vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

You can demand OEM parts all you want, but unless you have a clause in your policy removing the ACV requirement or one that gives new replacement they don't have to use new OEM parts. I would request a used OEM hood and have it repainted, As long as the used hood is no more expensive that an aftermarket replacement they will do it.

It's more likely they will have the dents removed and I've seen the work many times. It's amazing and the guys that do it are wizards.

Are you sure your deductible is $500. Most people have different deductibles for collision and comprehensive. Comprehensive is usually less expensive and covers things you can't control, like hail. It also covers theft, broken glass, vandalism, etc, so it makes sense to have a lower deductible. I have a $0 comprehensive deductible on the JK for all the common things that happen to us, windshields(I'm on my 3rd), vandalism to soft tops, zipper windows make it easy to steal stereos and the fact that my shit is so awesome and everyone wants it, so there's a good chance it'll get stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #16 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Sorry to hear Stube. I've heard about using dry ice and hair dryers but never saw anybody do it. check youtube for hail dent repair. I have had experience with a body shop using replacement parts that were not OEM and were not the same quality. ie thinner material. you can demand OEM replacement thru you insurance company. good luck bud.
that works great as long as you dont burn the paint you have to know what youre doing

Originally quoted by :White13JKUR
My favorite was the time at the ATM when I hopped out of the jeep and a hot soccer mom immediately approached me and asked in a friendly voice: “How many inches do you have?” Then, when I looked to see that she too had jumped out of a stock jeep similar to mine, I responded with confidence : “3.5 inches”
post #17 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Huge thanks to all of you that have posted here.

I washed the Jeep yesterday and looked at her again very closely. I can count maybe 13 to 15 "dents" but they are so small that they are really hardly even noticeable. I am an anal-retentive perfectionist so what initially appeared to be pretty bad now looks very miniscule.

I made the decision to let this incident go and not file a claim, however I am going to research some things. I'm going to take some pictures and send them to a couple of paint-less dent repair shops in Austin. There are several places that have VERY high ratings and boast an extensive list of extremely satisfied clientele. I'm also going to look at my comprehensive coverage and see what kind of time-frame I would be dealing with if this were to happen again.

If these tiny imperfections ("dents") in the hood bother me down the road then I may just go ahead ( depending on cost) and look into a paint-less repair paid for out of my pocket. Until then, I'm trying to consider this slight damage to be adding character to my Jeep.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Wheeler

Living in Texas, the August heat will pop them back out.....they'll be gone by September, no kidding.....I had a mini-truck 20 plus years ago that got pelted all over, probably 100 or so small dents everywhere.....I took the $2k from the insurance and paid it off.....two years later, I don't remember ever seeing a dent....

2015 2dr Rubi, manual shift, windows, and door locks, love this thing
post #19 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
Right there with you.. I hate rainy or a winter mix.. during late spring and summer you'd find me out in the back washing and yes detailing the jeep.. I can't say what I'd do is it had some sort of hail damage.. other than making sure the soft top was intact.
It's really not hardly noticeable but again... I am a bit OCD about some things. Honestly my Jeep has a good deal of trail rash and small dents from rock-crawling and tight trails. The underside ( skids, lca's, etc) has been pretty extensively scraped and beat up too. Maybe that's why I'm so obsessive-compulsive when it comes to the hood... because it's the one last bit of real-estate left on my Jeep that is still fairly unscathed lol. Well... it was until Friday March 28th at 5:36 p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Perm View Post
Living in Texas, the August heat will pop them back out.....they'll be gone by September, no kidding.....I had a mini-truck 20 plus years ago that got pelted all over, probably 100 or so small dents everywhere.....I took the $2k from the insurance and paid it off.....two years later, I don't remember ever seeing a dent....
IDK... the heat hasn't taken out any of the other dents but we'll see. I think I'm over this incident at this point. This is the type of imperfection that no one else will likely ever even notice. I can see it because I inspected her thoroughly, but at least half a dozen other people so far have said that they can't see anything besides 2 or 3 little dings.

post #20 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Granite Guru

Stub

Just curious, where were you at when it hit? I was home in Cedar Park and was really surprised I didn't have any damage. But I was pissed because I had just washed it and took the doors and top off. Glad I had the trail cover handy as I got it on right has the first drops hit.

My Rides
2019 GMC Denali HD -- 2013 JK 2dr -- 2010 KTM SMT -- 2007 Triumph Speed Triple

JK Builds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
post #21 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Last year.. when mine got hit with theseVVV insurance sent a guy out, he took a look and cut me a check (not sure for how much think is was like 300 after 500 deductible)...I was free to do what ever I felt like..(did nothing and put $ in the bank)
Attached Images

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1973 View Post
Stub

Just curious, where were you at when it hit? I was home in Cedar Park and was really surprised I didn't have any damage. But I was pissed because I had just washed it and took the doors and top off. Glad I had the trail cover handy as I got it on right has the first drops hit.
I was down here in Bastrop. My truck got damaged a bit too... but not bad... couple dings to the hood. Wish I had been home so I could've thrown the Jeep into the garage but no such luck.

That line dropped north-west to south-east and was moving pretty quickly. It looked like most of Austin was spared, but to the north of us ( Elgin area) and down to the south-east ( Smithville) things got pretty dicey. I saw quarter to golf-ball sized. Other areas north and east of us reported larger but not sure to what degree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode